Apple Music

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by johannes, Jun 9, 2015.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

After much speculation due to the Beats acquisition and the increasing popularity of music-streaming services, Apple has come up with, what they hope would be, the answer.

Starting June 30, 2015, Apple will finally release MUSIC. Given Apple's passion for music, this was hardly unexpected.

Key features:

- Music (your music coupled with the vast iTunes Store library, Siri requests, playlists based on your activity and as recommended by Apple Music Editors and Curators)

- Beats 1 Radio (the latest music and interviews, 24/7 from LA, New York, London, with actual DJs.)

- Connect (engage with your favorite artists and even budding artists, get access to unreleased works and behind-the-scenes processes)

MUSIC will be available by the end of June (US time) and upon update to iOS 8.4 and the latest version of iTunes. An Android version will be available this coming Fall.

The first three months will be free, as a trial period. Users who wish to continue with their subscriptions will then pay $9.99 per month. Family plans will be available for $14.99 a month.

For more details: Apple - Music

***Admin Note: We've place this thread under AppleTalk for now until we finalize the reorganized sections for the next version of PhilMUG.***

2. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

What say you, folks? Do you think MUSIC will be strong enough to challenge the likes of Pandora and Spotify?

I'm currently on Spotify Premium (as part of my Globe subscription) but I'm eager to give MUSIC a shot. Thankfully, the first three months will be free so I believe that's enough time to really scrutinize the service. I'm hoping Apple does well because a serious challenger in the field will most likely be good for the consumers. Also, I hope all the artists I like are on board for this.

I'm not so sure about Beats 1 because they billed it as 24/7 Radio. The quality of DJs and how fresh the playlists will be would determine if this would be a hit or not. If it's just canned programs that don't get updated regularly, then people will most likely pass. Then again, one can still access Beats 1 Radio even without a subscription so even if you don't like it, well, at least it's free.

As for Connect, I hope it succeeds where Ping failed miserably -- that is, to really connect musicians with their listeners and fans.

Anyone here excited about MUSIC, as well?

3. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

If it can compete with Spotify's price here in the Philippines, I'm in!

4. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

If they can get back Taylor Swift into music streaming. :) and how much would be the subscription here in PH.

5. pael

pael Well-Known Member

i guess my first concern is if it requires a US Apple account to work, like iTunes radio?

Globe's inclusion of additional 1Gb data for the Spotify 299 is great, and will be difficult to beat if we don't have the same for Apple Music.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm......profoundly disappointed. I was expecting Apple Music to offer a premium music streaming, by-subscription service and not a Spotify/Pandora/Xbox Music clone. Yes, a Tidal.com premium, lossless music service for customers who are willing to pay extra. There is no reason for Apple to play it safe by employing yesterday's technology. 320 kbps is not good enough anymore. Broadband speed used to be the constraining factor that gave birth to mp3 (low-res, broadband-friendly). But mp3 is so yesterday. Apple now has 5k display on the Mac and retina on smaller devices. Everything high-def but not high-definition audio??????? Doesn't make sense to me. Crap-quality music.......AM might as well be an AM radio station. Good grief......

memphis likes this.
  7. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm kinda a bit indifferent with the newly-launched Apple Music. Main reason might be the need for it - I have Sirius XM im my SUV and when i'm not feeling the mood for new music, I just pair my iPhone and play my fave playlist via Bluetooth. When not on the road, I rarely feel the need to plug my earphones and listen to beats. Even when running or working out, I don't see a need for streaming service.

But it's free for 3 months so why not try it out. Might change my view, might not but i'm pretty sure I don't wanna waste $10/mo with this.

8. raypin

Mmm.....streaming makes sense. I'm a big fan. I pay 9.90 usd per month to subscribe to Xbox music for unlimited streaming and unlimited download. Quality is also crappy 320 kbps but it remains useful to me for discovering new artists or new music. Once I favor an artist, album or song, I start looking for it in CD-quality (16-bit, 44.1 khz) format or higher. Sample first in low-res format, then buy in high-def format. Saves me a lot of time and money. With Tidal.com, I don't have to buy because they stream in CD-quality already, potentially saving me even more. Unfortunately, tidal is U.S. and U.K. only for now.

9. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

I am skeptical about this new service. It really does not offer anything new. I have my 22,000 personal song library entrenched in Google Play Music now. Its going to be hard to migrate that for no gain in value. I think apple was a bit late to this party. They saw the decline in actual music sales from iTunes so they decided to get an alternate profit stream from streaming music.

I mean even if they have exclusives I would rather buy each individual track from iTunes and then upload it to my google play music account and stream it from there.

10. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

If music quality is same or better than spotify's "extreme" (320kbps) quality for offline saves, i'm in. One reviewer who was able to test drive the new service said an apple rep refused to answer when asked about the music quality. Hope we are included in the first 100 countries

11. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope they offer HD versions of music videos for purchase. The ones I bought from iTunes looks terrible full screen in hi-res screens. The audio is also down-sampled.

12. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

I have Spotify premium and Sirius XM Select and All Access subscriptions.
    I don't store music on my devices. I'll try out Apple Music but not sure that I will subscribe. Just curious .. Do they stream MLB games? I like the reliability of satellite radio.

13. raypin

mmm......they are still working it out. But it would be monumentally insulting if they offer it at a lower bit-rate than what iTunes Plus already offers (256 kbps).

#13 raypin, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  14. oaba09

oaba09 Member

I might give it a try just because of taylor swift(I'm a guy and I'm not ashamed to admit that I listen to her music lol).....Currently subscribed to spotify premium.

15. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

there was an update on this topic bro, not sure if it was on engadget, but apple confirmed its 256kbps

16. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Spotify's playlislts are getting boring so maybe this is worth the switch.

17. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

While Spotify Premium's price in the US is $9.99, Spotify Premium in the Philippines is P129/month only. Will I pay almost four times just for Apple Music? I'll see during their three month free trial.

18. qt_arvin

qt_arvin Fore!
    Staff Member

I currently subscribe to Sirius XM sat radio ($ 205/yr) and Spotify Premium ($ 9.99/mo). If this is way better than Spotify,then i'll switch to Apple Music....waiting for the free trial:cool:

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I am down to one post a month, so I'll try to make this count. :)

All things being equal, Music *beats* Spotify Premium. ;)

Three words: Head unit integration.

Between twiddling with my phone to control Spotify and controlling Music from my car stereo head unit—and by extension, the steering wheel audio controls—no contest. Apple wins.

Most car and car stereo manufacturers support Apple for obvious reasons—that's easier than supporting the fragmented alternative.

Unfortunately, I don't expect Apple to do *socialized pricing*. And if they go out of their way (unlikely) to offer Music with operator subsidies (which is what I suspect the local Spotify Premium is), it will take a while.

That said, I expect Music to gain traction in the first world. Here, expect to hear more campaign jingles. :p

20. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

The free three-month trial will be crucial. If MUSIC can really differentiate itself from the others in terms of selections, playlist quality, ease of use, and value for money, subscribers will be one TouchID confirmation away. But if it's pretty much the same as the others (and some reviews are saying it is), then people might stick with their current providers. Unless, of course, they want to stick with the Apple ecosystem, in which case they'd probably shift.