Apple Music vs Spotify vs Other Music Streaming Services

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by Bemhr, Feb 27, 2016.

?

Which one do you use right now?

1. Apple Music

24.3%
  2. Spotify

75.7%
  1. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

iTunes Match is included with an Apple Music subscription so my all local ripped files were matched and replaced.

For music that don’t get matched, the files are actually uploaded to your iTunes Library but still accessible on any platform.

raypin and SE20 like this.
  2. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

Can I download my Spotify playlist and use it in an external music player app like iOS Music app? Like saving the music files externally and outside of Spotify app? Thanks!

3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I could be wrong but I do not think so. in fact, the continued use of the "downloaded" music offline is only good for a month & you'll need an active subscription to keep using it. & the files will only play with the Spotify app.

I'm sure there's a hack somewhere for a workaround but that sort of discussion is not allowed in Philmug.

4. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

That is the business model of the streaming apps. They allow you to have the convenience of offline playlists but only locked in their ecosystem. Otherwise they can’t keep you subscribing.

In Apple Music your playlist is shared/stored in your account. If you did buy your songs in iTunes (before or even during sub w/ Apple Music) your playlist can still play after an expired sub with songs that you ‘own’. Happens to me when I forget to stock up on credits during monthly renewal.

5. textguru

textguru Active Member

Agree... thats the logic of subscribing music service. In short, you don't own the file, you are just like renting (as service).

6. Bulanching

Bulanching Member

Oh well I think it is against the rules.The rise of the subscription based model. Hehe or I'm just that cheap because I'm saving up for a condo or a house downpayment ;)

leninmac likes this.
  7. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

I have both Spotify (family) and Apple Music. Last month my free Apple Music subscription expired and all previously downloaded songs/playlists ‘disappeared’ as expected of course. Songs purchased remained on all devices. Last week I took advantage of Apple offer for 3mos subscription for USD10.

I love how spotify (and tidal, which I don't have) integrates with my Cambridge Audio CXN music streamer. I can also save Spotify playlists on the CXN and play these directly without having to use a mobile device. Not FLAC / lossless quality but it's sweet that I am able to use my 2-channel stereo with Spotify. Unfortunately I can't do same with Apple Music (yet).

Bulanching likes this.
  8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

My Replay 2020, Heavy Rotation, and Most Played Songs playlists aren't accurate unlike Spotify's On Repeat, Repeat Rewind, and Daily Mix playlists which update consistently. I hope Apple fixes it. My Replay 2020 seems to be stuck since May/June.

9. rvaph

rvaph Active Member

I have Spotify and Apple Music and both are Philippines-based subscriptions. I use a Bluetooth stage connected to my integrated amplifier to stream music from my iPhone. Apple Music is much better in terms of sound quality. Spotify has a slight edge in terms of music recommendations, especially the Daily Mixes, Spotify, however, sometimes base its recommendations on the last album or song I played. With Apple, I don't even understand how it comes up with its recommendations and why it thinks I love reggae.

10. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on the Apple One free 1 month trial period which includes an Apple Music subscription, and so far, I'm enjoying Apple Music. I haven't opened my Spotify on any of my devices lately.

The way I see it, I would compare Spotify and Apple Music to MTV and VH1.
    Remember when they first coined the "Adult Contemporary genre"?

Maybe I'm still in the early stage of building up my playlists and the Apple Music algorithm hasn't learned to feed me with "EDM" and all that sh!t, but I'm just glad I won't be seeing any of the Spotify cheesy playlist titles (yes... MOMOL Music is an official Spotify playlist).

On a minor note, I'm also liking how I can ask Siri to play a specific song on the fly. No need to say... "Play ____ on Spotify"... It just makes it more intuitive.

greta87, raypin and bacchus_3 like this.
  11. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

I wish Apple would copy Spotify on how they do year in reviews. Apple Music's Replay is too boring. It's just numbers and a playlist.