Apple Music vs Spotify vs Other Music Streaming Services

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by Bemhr, Feb 27, 2016.

?

Which one do you use right now?

1. Apple Music

20.0%
  2. Spotify

80.0%
  1. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

been wanting to shift to apple music for a long time but the only thing keeping me with spotify is that i can include it as part of my globe plan consumables as opposed to paying extra on top.

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

The one clear advantage of Spotify over the others, beyond its no-brainer P129 monthly subscription fee, is its tight integration with Waze. You can control Spotify from within the Waze app. So I have both—Spotify on the go, Tidal for my hifi/headfi needs.

ronnel0918 and greta87 like this.
  3. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

^ Apple Music in PH store is also 129.

I've been paying for the $10 US store for several months since I was afraid the PH store might not have some of the obscure artists I like.

Switched to PH store about 6 months ago and I've yet to encounter a scenario where the artist I am looking for isn't available.

For context, music I listen to are mainly 90s alternative, 80s metal, 70s rock, 00 indie alternative and folk, contemporary prog metal and the occassional Katy Perrys, Swifts and Cabellos of the world.

I like their curation better than Spotify's and that it's better integrated with Apple Watch.

To me, no brainer.

macjobber likes this.
  4. joethemobile01

Spotify playlists and currations is much better. Spotify will engage depending on your listening activities, genre, artists, and etc. I hope Spotify will offer HIFI though.

5. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

I have both and will be ditching Spotify. The iOS integration for Apple Music is just a huge plus for me. Plus I prefer singing along while listening to the music so having the song's lyrics is a another advantage.

6. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I've accumulated too much subscription streaming service over the past few years.

It started with Spotify Premium through Globe then I wanted to side-load music on my watch so I got Apple Music Family, then Might as well take advantage of Prime Music with my Amazon Prime subscription and now I've been spoiled by Ad-free YouTube and guess what, Free Google Play Music with every YouTube Red subscription. What have I done?

rbenzon likes this.
  7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I used to be desk-bound, so my Tidal subscription made sense, played back thru my Mac Pro, high-end DAC, studio monitors (speakers) / head-fi headphones.

These days, I spend as much time on the road—literally planes, trains and automobiles. So I cut my $20/month Tidal subscription, and just kept my P149/month Spotify subscription.

Subscription-wise, Apple Music would fare better if Apple enabled mobile operator billing. Alas, when Apple bothers with better payment options, it's usually in the first world markets.

But then, Apple doesn't have to dominate the music streaming world. They already dominate in profits and cash reserves, whereas Spotify has yet to produce a profit. :whistle:

greta87 likes this.
  8. Kevin Ronk

Kevin Ronk New Member

Try using MusConv it is a tool in which you can transfer your tracks and playlist without any issues. Just visit musconv.com.

9. ralmon

ralmon Member

I hope Apple Music adds the swipe to Add to Queue feature, and the ability to sort playlists like Spotify.
    But when it comes to syncing my local and CD ripped mp3s, hands down to Apple Music's iCloud Music Library.

10. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

I want also to try Apple Music but I already heavily invested sa playlists sa Spotify and I have a US iTunes Account which I also invested apps in. Do you switch stores often or are you permanently on PH Account?

11. macjobber

macjobber Active Member

Formerly an iPhone user but now, I'm using the get more from what I paid for Xiaomi Note 5 AI. But I did not completely left iOS that I am still using Apple Music (Android version).

12. p.pipster

I am permanently on the PH store now on my iPhone.

I still use the US acct on the Apple TV since I'm heavily invested on iTunes movie bought in that store.

13. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

I’m still sticking with Spotify Premium, just because a lot of devices support Spotify especially my 2 favorite media devices when I’m at home, my PlayStation and my Amazon Fire TV stick.

14. philkeely

philkeely Member

Got an email from Apple regarding a free 1 month subscription so decided to jump back in. I cancelled mine before because iCloud Music Library ruined my local library. Now i decided to log in my US account on my Mac and my PH account on my phone so hopefully that'll work.

15. mree

mree Active Member

Right now, I'm only using Spotify Premium. I tried Apple Music in the past and I remember hating it. Then it got updated so I tried it again, loved the Siri integration so playing music while driving is so much better. But now, I am on Spotify again just because Globe, for some reason, couldn't cancel my automatic subscription and I don't want to pay for 2 services at the same time.

I noticed however, that based on the music I listen to, I find more songs for my international artists in Apple Music, while locals have more in Spotify.

16. p.pipster

Just discovered yesterday that John Lennon's "Imagine" is not available on AM. Is it on Spotify PH?

17. funcrecall

funcrecall Member

Yap.

Attached Files:

18. macjobber

macjobber Active Member

Sometimes songs from Apple Music become unavailable then just reappear.

I think it has always something to do with the pay for each stream

19. Shinahashirome

I can see the song but can't play it on AM. Weird

20. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ they used to have licensing issues depending on where you are & which Apple store you’re using. Most music labels have individual licensing agreements with various distributors based on territory; with the advent of streaming sites, a lot of these long term distribution licenses clashed with this then new tech.. over the years, a lot of these conflicts got sorted out. Thus, during the Apple Music launch, they had a lot of titles grayed out. It’s part of the playlist but if the subscriber was In a territory that had its own exclusive distributor for certain artists or titles, Apple wasn’t allowed to to steam that particular Artist/title.. Not sure if this still applies today.