Apple Music vs Spotify vs Other Music Streaming Services

Discussion in 'Apple Music' started by Bemhr, Feb 27, 2016.

?

Which one do you use right now?

1. Apple Music

24.5%
  2. Spotify

75.5%
  1. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple Music PH is only $3 per month though. almost same pricing as Spotify PH.

2. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

Apple Music varies pricing though as they charge your card in dollars. Last time I check I was charged $2.99 which has a conversion of 147pesos.

3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

what's the reason for the big difference in the pricing? content? it's 10$/month in the US Apple Store. which allows you to use it with multiple devices though.

4. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Mannix, I was wondering about the same thing. This is what I found: Apple Music will be super cheap in some countries.

From the article:

greta87 and rnav18 like this.
  5. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I am paying for the US version since the PH version's catalogue is poor. You get what you pay for, isn't that what they say.

greta87 likes this.
  6. linkk

linkk Active Member

Spotify ...installed on my 3 devices

7. papajamba

papajamba Member

I first tried and wanted apple music but wife says we go spotify for family. No contest :ROFLMAO:

l7224 likes this.
  8. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

I also tried to use Apple Music, but in my case I have my main Apple ID as a US account. Tried to login a separate PH-Apple ID (under iTunes and Appstore) but it forces me to transfer my device to that Apple ID.

So Spotify Family for us (for now).

9. greta87

ah so that explains the difference. I rarely used the Philippine itunes before precisely because of the slim pickings in the catalogue. so it's the same with Apple Music PH. I guess this & the article linked by Roman sufficiently covers why there's a substantial variance.

10. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a broad genré of music that I like and I must say, I think Apple Music Ph does not have poor catalogue :)

11. greta87

Ok. ha ha. so which is which? I'll try logging in later in both my US & RP accounts & find out for myself. :)

12. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

I think there's no difference in catalogue, even the indie ones are available.
    Even if there is, it's not the same like Netflix where almost 50% of the titles are missing.

13. supahdende

supahdende Well-Known Member

I am currently subscribed to apple music via my PH. account. It sucks that when I log it out to use my US account to download apps not available in the PH store it deletes all the songs that I have downloaded. I have to redownload everything again.

There are also some songs that are available in the US but is not in the PH. So far I've noticed two songs so this is not a big deal.

14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

When I spent several weeks in the US, Apple Music was great because most rental "car stereo" can interface and control my iPhone, even with steering wheel buttons in many cases. Couldn't do the same with Spotify.

But now that I am not driving rented cars, that is not much of an advantage. In Manila, you have plenty of time to twiddle with your phone because your car isn't going anywhere. :p

iTunes and Apple Music have become so freakin' confusing, not to mention that it made me wonder where some of my CD rips music went. So now, I try to keep it simple—Spotify for on-demand library, Apple Music for my personal archive of CD rips. In other words, Spotify for online library, Apple Music for my personal archive.

The "only advantage" that's making me reconsider Apple Music is Siri access. You can do the same on Spotiy, but it takes several steps: 1) launch Spotify; 2) press Search; 3) press voice dictation and verbally specify. On Apple Music, it's just one step—"Find (song title) by (artist) on Apple Music" or "Play (name of playlist) on Apple Music".

Bottomline: Apple Music is the wife. Spotify is on-demand mistress. :D Damn cheap too!

Mykolant and greta87 like this.
  15. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

Been a Spotify user for most of my music streaming life but I may be switching to Apple Music because when I tried to search for a couple OPM songs (of my generation:D) the latter had more of the songs I were looking for. And mind you these were, in my opinion, very popular OPM songs so it was surprising that Spotify wouldn't have those. So probably when the 3-month trial ends, me and the missus are switching to AM. Wouldn't be much of a hassle too since even the wife who's on Android can install the AM app from the Play Store

One hiccup I experienced recently with AM is that some songs I added to my playlist are grayed out and the app tells me "this item is not available" when I try to play them. Went as far as contacting apple support about this as I thought there may be a problem with my account. Turns out, it was a glitch which was probably caused when I used a 3rd party app to transfer my Spotify playlists to AM. I got that all fixed now so AM happily using AM

16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

17. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^Yeah, I read about this and now have stopped using Spotify. Also told my kids to refrain from using it at home. Now they keep asking when they can use it again.

rbenzon likes this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^I trust that Spotify will issue a fix before my SSD dies. ;)

Mykolant likes this.
  19. ralmon

ralmon Member

Due to recent increases on USD exchange rates, I switched back to Spotify for the mean time lol.
    Spotify carries the same songs I listen in AM anyway. However, I hate it when Spotify won't show the album covers of my synced local songs.
    Has anyone encountered that too? Can you suggest a fix?

20. Simbadda

Simbadda Active Member

What I don't like in Apple Music is that it replaces your locally synced tracks with its Apple Music version. Now that my subscription is expired, those tracks are now gone. Some of those tracks were from iTunes Match.

Apple Music also replaced the album cover of those tracks.

Oh apple, why do you have to make playing music so complicated and convoluted. It was supposed to be 'It just works.'

greta87 likes this.