Apple Mail not downloading new messages (POP)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by anchorite, Jan 17, 2008.

1. anchorite

anchorite Member

Hi.

I'm having problems with my Apple Mail not downloading new message from Google Mail/GMail/Google for Domains via POP.

This started several weeks ago when Apple Mail is downloading 1 new message at a time even I have tons of new messages. I have to manually press the 'Get new mail..' button to download the next new message. I have set Mail.app to check email every 5 mins. Now it stopped downloading messages completely. The last downloaded message is dated January 15.

I confirm that my email settings are correct. I can connect via POP but Mail.app doesn't seem to see that there are new messages waiting to be downloaded.

Here's my Mail.app Activity Viewer:

Connecting to server 'pop.gmail.com'...
    Logging in as user '<snip snip>'...
    Sending password...
    Checking for messages...
    Finding unseen messages...
    Closing connection to server...

Is there anyone out there experiencing this problem?

TIA

A :)

2. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

have you tried Google IMAP instead of POP?

3. anchorite

anchorite Member

Hi alvinrayyu.

I have not tried IMAP with Google Mail yet and I prefer POP over IMAP.

Most likely this is a Google problem.

Thanks for your input.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

A :)

4. alvinrayyu

alvinrayyu Active Member

you can leave a message/email google support about it

am using IMAP for Google mail and no problems encountered so far

5. xty

xty Member

I am also having this problem... I am trying to download my email from our office server.... It started yesterday afternoon and haven't received any mail through the MAIL app, Please Help!

TIA!

6. macychic

macychic Member

hi everyone!

1. there seems to be a problem with my Mail app (running leopard 10.5.2). I doesn't play the 'New Mail Sound' when I receive an email/s

I've been using my MBP for about 1 1/2 weeks and the Mail new mail sound only stopped working about two days ago.

I am only experiencing this problem with the Mail App.

2. I try to send my messages to my email address from my own email address (so I can test the 'new mail sound') but surprisingly, I don't receive the mails. By the way, I am using gmail pop account.

Thanks in advanced! :)

7. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

1. Do you hear other system sounds, like the "pop" when you increase or decrease the volume? Have you tried restarting?

2. This happens to me too, I'm on Gmail and I don't get emails re-sent from my Gmail account.

8. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

Ive been experiencing the same thing, Id get only 4 messages max at 1st then it dwindled to 1 at a time then none at all.

HELP!

9. macychic

macychic Member

Yes sir. I don't think it's a problem with the hardware, more like of software bug *issue* (but that's just me).

1. It notifies me when there is no retrieved email (that kinda *ding* sound)
    2. I tried AppZapper-ing Mail so I can install and reinstall but:
    • 2.a I installed the bundled software it only installed GarageBand (which I also deleted the first day I got my MBP since I don't use it)
    • 2.b The Mail app didn't install. I just dragged it out from the trash so I can use it again.
    • 2.c I am thinking that maybe, the installer didn't install the Mail app because it's still in the machine? (Trash)
    • 2.d I haven't tried emptying the Trash (to delete the Mail app entirely)

I am terribly puzzled. :)

10. Evan_Racing

Evan_Racing Member

macychic,

We have the same problem, my mail doesn't play a sound too when receiving emails. Although, there are times (very rare times) when it would sound. I think it's some kind of bug. I don't know, I can't seem to solve this problem either.

P.S. Sorry OT.

11. Swamommy

Swamommy Member

Oh my goodness! I'm having the exact same problem with our POP account (via gmail). It worked for the first few days of migration, and then it stopped downloading mail altogether. I tried to re-configure the settings through the Gmail site, then my Apple Mail preferences site, still to no avail. And just now, a dialog box keeps popping everytime I try to access Apple Mail. When I hit the "Get Mail" button, it prompts me to re-enter my password and then rejects it after a few seconds. Bonkers! Anyone with a good solution to this, please? Many thanks!

12. macychic

macychic Member

hi! my Mail.app is ok now. :) Just to let you know that uninstall and install restored the 'new message' alert. :) Please read my post here first before you uninstall your Mail.app (that's if you want to) HTH :)