Apple Magic Mouse or Apple Magic Trackpad?

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by amieldh, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a switch problem. Ifixit rated magic mouse with a 2/10 in repairability. Apparently it’s very difficult to remove the adhesive and if you’re going to replace the switch it requires soldering. So probably not worth it to have it repaired.

2. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Logitech Performance MX, great ergonomics! getting a bit long in the tooth, so best to check out the newer models.

3. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^That WAS my go to mice as well until mine suffered the double clicking issue. It lasted a few years though. I could have repaired it (replace the omron switch) - but I opted to get the newer gen MX Master... then later on replaced with a few Logitech gaming mice - G900... G703... and now G903 :)

ramil likes this.
  4. ramil

ramil Active Member

Sorry for the slight OT - I am also using Logitech MX Master as my everyday work mouse. I am very happy with it. How do you find Logitech's gaming mouse line-up compared to the MX Master? Do you use it for work or play?

5. cybersniper

^I find it to be a lot better for the following reasons:

- The MX Master's (1st Gen) max dpi is 1600... My sweet spot is 1800-2000 (depending on what I'm doing).
    - Those mice I mentioned all use Pixart's PMW3366 sensor, which is said to be the best sensor these days. I can feel the difference in precision compared to the MX Master.
    - The finish of G900/903, the feel, the texture is also, IMO, better than MX Master. They have no rubber grips which gets sticky at times.
    - The clickers of G900/903, being mechanical is a lot better as well.
    - It matches my all black setup too :)
    - I use these for work. And that's basically the reason why I went back to G903 (which is almost the same as G900) coming from a G703 which replaced my G900 - it is because I can work faster with the hyperscroll wheel.
    - If I'd choose one among those for gaming, the G703 gets my vote. All mice should have been shaped that way, it's just so comfortable. If it only had the hyperscroll wheel, I could have cared less about its side rubber grips and kept it.

wulf likes this.
  6. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

Does anyone have the magic trackpad 2? How is it? I have an imac - part of the reason why I don't use it as much as my MBA (even if it has a bigger and better screen, newer OS etc) is that it comes with a magic mouse which I never got used to. Trying to decide if I'll take a chance on the trackpad 2 or just buy a nice Logitech.

7. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Do not buy the magic trackpad 2. my haptic feedback has been acting up, on and off at times. Out of warranty, no luck on repairing. even apple support or local authorized repair refused. So all in all its disposable when you're out of warranty.

tonedeaf likes this.
  8. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

^welp. maybe I'll go the Logitech route then.

jayparalejas likes this.
  9. gabobito

gabobito Member

Are there still bluetooth connectivity issues for the logitech mx?

10. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi @cybersniper ! I already have an Apple Magic Mouse 2 to pair with my Macbook Pro and I love it to bits. Though I'm considering getting a 2nd mouse for use at the office (so I don't have to bring the Magic Mouse to and from my home). Which one should I go for: the Logitech G903 or the SteelSeries Rival 650? And forgive my ignorance but, though they say they're wireless, are they using bluetooth? I ask because bluetooth isn't mentioned in either one's site specs. I just wanted to confirm since I'll be pairing either one to my MBP and nothing more. My daily use case is crunching emails and word documents.

11. cybersniper

^For that kind of use, I'd recommend a G304/G305... they're a lot cheaper so it would hurt a lot less if they get lost or dropped or what not. And they have a White version as well (assuming you prefer that).

I would recommend a Logitech compared to a SteelSeries because of Logitech's software being better on MacOS.

Lastly, all Logitech wireless "gaming" mice uses 2.4Ghz dongle to connect... no bluetooth. Because bluetooth technology, even the latest, still has connectivity issues (e.g, lag / disconnection) that is a no no for gaming.

pochiman likes this.
  12. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Gee thanks amigo! You just saved me around $200 there! No wonder their tech specs didn't even mention Bluetooth, coz they didn't even have it, instead using a 2.4Ghz dongle to connect as you mentioned. Damn, they look real cool though with their flashing lights and all.

cybersniper likes this.