apple issues new 27-Inch iMac firmware update to address display issues

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by bhoyetjumpay, Feb 2, 2010.

1. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

Apple has issued a new firmware update today (01 February '10) to address issues that may cause intermittent display flickering. Earlier today reports had indicated that Apple may have even stopped production of the 27" iMac due to this persistent issue.

Updates the display firmware on 27-inch iMac systems to address issues that may cause intermittent display flickering.

The 27-inch iMac Display Update will update the display firmware on your iMac. Do not disturb or shut off the power on your iMac during this update.

Apple had previously issued a graphics firmware update in December with little success. Today's firmware update appears to address the Display hardware itself. The 27-inch iMac Display Update Firmware is 294KB in size and can be downloaded from Apple's site.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL998

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I'm trying to locate the article I read this morning. IIRC, it said that Apple is considering 'stopping the production of i5 and i7 variants of the 27-in iMacs." I'm inferring that the dual-core 27-inchers are doing well.

Well, mine is - 3.06 Core2Duo, with nary a flicker or black-out… On paper, the quad-cores may be faster but then again, speed is relative.

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i have it here chito...it's in appleinsider

"27-inch iMac delays continue as production halt is rumored"

4. eyemac

eyemac Active Member