Apple iPad Keyboards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by denpacs, Mar 19, 2020.

1. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple now has a dedicated page for their iPad keyboards with highlights on which device is compatible to which keyboard.

Keyboards that have you covered

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...demo vid:

Roman likes this.
  3. lardcas

lardcas Member

For additional $300, it defeats the purpose of touch screen?

4. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

more people create documents on their IPAD than a laptop nowadays, so i guess the logic is that instead of bringing your laptop, use an ipad, add a keyboard, and viola, documents on the go :)

5. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

I use mine mostly for notes and signing docs. I am using a 1st gen 12.9 version, with the Apple keyboard cover and Tech21 back cover, i can say that its heavier (with a than my MacBook 12. So it really depends on the user. Also, the 1st gen keyboard cover are cosmetically crappy. They breakdown easily cosmetically. I guess they flxed it in the next iterations. Excited for the newer versions though.

6. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Not at all. Several iPad users, like me, edit documents and spreadsheets on the go. This is a very welcome accessory and oh, that mouse support is awesome.

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...the new keyboard is further blurring the line that separates the iPad from the MacBook. Not a total replacement yet but Apple is getting there......iPad Pro is powerful in terms of processing power and the new keyboard brings the laptop user experience to the iPad Pro. It is only a matter of time.

The magnetic docking is brilliant in design. It floats the iPad. It is simple. Apple simple. Just click and go. It is elegant. Apple elegant. Awesome. It.just.works.

#7 raypin, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    neilc likes this.
  8. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

The blurring of line started with iPadOS. This just seals the deal. Apple’s really smart to do this because they don’t have anything to compete with low range laptops for education ($500 price point) but with this implementation and working with Logitech, any iPad bought today except the mini 5 can be turned into a computing workhorse.

Logitech’s $149 keyboard trackpad + case can be paired with a 128GB iPad 7 on sale and reach that $500-600 sweet spot for education. Here’s Apple secretly doing a trojan horse in this price category and I’m surprised it is not mentioned enough by reviewers but instead focusing on the Pros.

MacBook Air was made more compelling because it’s not as flexible as an iPad Pro where you can just disconnect from the Magic Keyboard and use it as a light tablet, not to mention mobile-first features like cameras and FaceID.

PS. I’m really proud of the iPad’s character development in the last 3 years, it overcame the unwanted step-child predicament and is actually doing the A-series chips justice where iPhone can’t.

#8 rdy0329, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    raypin likes this.
  9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

10. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

iPad 6th gen w regular brydge

Attached Files:

11. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I'm interested on the weight distribution of the new Magic Keyboard. At Php20k that thing should not tip over when sitting on your lap. hahaha

12. teachertwish

teachertwish Active Member

Apple Magic Keyboard available for preorder now. Ships May 8-12, 2020.

Attached Files:

raypin likes this.
  13. denpacs

A first hands-on with the new iPad Magic Keyboard prior to its release next week. (y)

Ghibli, mr.butch and raypin like this.
  14. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Looks great but for nearly 17k (for the 11 inch), too expensive. Apple Smart Keyboards are known to fail quite easily in the past.

15. denpacs

16. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Was able to get my iPad Pro Magic KB pre-order from Bestbuy to ship and hopefully arrive within the next 48hours. Will share some pics and details soon!

neldeles and Roman like this.
  17. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Haven't found this info anywhere on the net yet. Once you have it, you think you can try testing if it's stable in the inverted "writing" angle? link for reference: https://imgur.com/fYEUlkm

I actually use my folio a lot in this setup. If the IPP MKB supports it I might upgrade to it.

18. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

I just got the keyboard! Mail usually arrives after lunch here, so I was pleasantly surprised that it arrived early in the day. So, after a heavy alcohol wipe down of the packaging, I have it on and I’m using it to type this reply.

Prior to testing this myself, I already saw iJustine try that setup, and so YES, it is stable when inverted to be able to support pencil style input. This means, YOU HAVE TO upgrade.. LOL!

In the meantime some brief background to why I purchased this keyboard without waiting for the reviews:
    Prior to this, I’ve been using mechanical bluetooth keyboards to pair with my iPad Pro, the Anne Pro 2, the Keychron K2 and recently, I replaced the K2 with an Akko 3068 Bluetooth keyboard which was modified with modified tealios switches. As nice as a typing experience it is to have these wireless mechanical keyboards, the overall “portability” isn’t that convenient. I was seriously considering the following -> Brydge Pro (without trackpad), Logitech and the off-brand with good reviews one on Amazon. However, those keyboards each had their quirks. I didn’t consider the Apple Smart keyboard because that keyboard was really not what I wanted and it was not worth the price IMHO. SO, as soon as this was announced and BestBuy had it on pre-order, I signed up right away because this was setup that I really wanted.

15E37FF2-E05C-42F3-B5CF-30A30DF0D1BB.jpeg

Some initial thoughts:
    - Keyboard typing is ok. It is in no way comparable to a mechanical keyboard (duh!) but it is one of the best portable keyboards I have used. I’m still getting used to the “cardboard-ish” sound when I type on it.
    - It is a bit heavy, BUT, I will always have the option to leave the keyboard when I don’t need it. The Macbook Air is definitely lighter, but it will have it’s keyboard always attached. Overall, IT IS NOT that heavy for me.
    - The floating design is very stable. No wiggles and definitely not flimsy.
    - The trackpad is small, if you’re used to a Macbook-ish size trackpad, but for it’s intended purpose it beats carrying around another device. I’ve previously tried it with a Magic Mouse and paired well, however that’s another device to add to my bag.

That’s all for now. If you would have any more questions, feel free to send them over and keep this discussion going.

Roman, jakz and raypin like this.
  19. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Testing the pass through charger got me this - 90-96% took 15 minutes.

20. primo1

primo1 Member

Kailan kaya magiging locally available yung iPad Magic Keyboard?