apple initiates repair program for 2011-2013 macbook pros with video issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bhoyetjumpay, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

apple has determined that a small percentage of macbook pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. the macbook pro systems were sold between February 2011 and December 2013

apple or an apple authorized service provider will repair affected macbook pro systems, free of charge.

as of February 20, 2015, the repair process will be available in the US and Canada. in the other countries, it will be available as of February 27, 2015

here is the link

2. iJav

iJav Active Member

@bhoyetjumpay, thanks for the good news!

Good move Apple! Didn't have to wait too long as my early 2011 mbp gpu problems only surfaced last month.

3. bhoyetjumpay

kodus to apple, even its late to admit, its better late than nothing at all :)

4. empty

empty Active Member

I can start gaming on my 17" MBP again, at least I have a year to see if any issues come up. :)

5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

The repair, although not officially started, was already done on my MBP 15 last week. It was a recurring problem since October and and I had to bring it before my Apple care expired, on December 14, 2014. But, the problem persisted, and finally they fixed it ahead of their announcement. This is what I love about Apple.

6. andrew_o_o

andrew_o_o Member

do they replace them with newer model chips? or just with another chip of the same model?

7. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

I guess itll be the same chip tho. Ill find out after i send mine tomorrow.

8. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

where'd you guys bring yours?

9. suavecito

I already sent mine this morning at BTB Greenhils. 3 days to diagnose if my unit is going to be eligible for the program and 1 week to replace. Cross my fingers. :)

10. bhoyetjumpay

good luck bro :)

11. iJav

iJav Active Member

Had mine submitted last Saturday for diagnostic check... And just received a message today saying that it is qualified for the Apple repair program. They mentioned that it will take them 7 to 14 working days to order and replace the logic board... Thank you BTB and Apple!

12. suavecito

Nice congrats on your new logic board bro! Keep us posted if Apple updated the GPU.

13. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

afaik its a brand new logicboard with the same video chip with the same problem... same as the previous repair programs of previous models... if you ask me, sell it off once they already replaced the logicboard then buy yourself a newer/latest model.

14. iJav

iJav Active Member

Thanks! Will update the thread as soon as I get my unit back...

15. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

then what's the point? i'd still have it done though, just for the heck of it. my mbp 2011 shuts down at least once a month when untethered... good thing i've held off on selling my 2010 17", will have a temp machine while waiting

16. suavecito

Got mine last wed. Working fine and the temp has quite gone down whenever im using the discreet GPU. It maxes at 75C, before it can reach 85C running Heaven Benchmark. Looking good tho i dont want to stress test it anymore. Thanks Apple!

BTW, i saw a teardown in one of the Apple discussions and it has indeed got new GPU, well sort of. Its the same 6750m chip but the manufacturing date indicated in the model number is 2014. Could be a good news, well only time will tell so enjoy it or do more jobs on it while it can.

17. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, can't wait for mine! I5 8gb ram sure feels slow after getting used to i7 16gb ram :(

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Thats good news. Thank you for the heads up. I did notice my trusty 2011 17" inch Macbook pro getting random graphical glitches now and then. That could be a red flag for me to get this free checkup.

19. bhoyetjumpay

thanks for the update. your machine is good as new and most of all you're now a happy kid :)

let it be checked and grab the opportunity that apple offers, good luck bro :)

20. iJav

iJav Active Member

Got my unit back from BTB last Saturday. So far so good... I did notice the temp to be cooler than before. Maybe they applied the thermal paste properly this time. :)

No change in the gpu chip (AMD 6750M). My unit was a BTO unit with 2.3ghz i7 cpu, I had to ensure that they gave the same unit back to me especially after reading in some forums that other people's unit came back with the standard 2.2ghz cpu. Good thing I didn't encounter that problem.