Apple Event: September 10, 2019

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by raypin, Aug 30, 2019.

1. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

So, I bought an  TV 4K here in Tokyo, the day before the launch of Apple TV+. I could've gotten the one-year free subscription if I had waited a day?

Lesson that I still have to learn: Don't buy an  product the day before their events.

2. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

Hi, would you know if the HK unit will be compatible here in the Philippines? Would it be better to get the HK variant? Thanks

3. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

I'd say yes. For the XS Max, I went for the HK variant to take advantage of the dual physical sim setup and so far I have not had any problems with my HK XS Max with regard to both local telco signals (I have Smart and Globe SIMs in it)

raypin likes this.
  4. mongkee

I just (happily) gave up 2 hours of work time to watch the event. Kinda underwhelmed really, to be honest. I was more exited about the always-on screen Series 5 AW. But I was glad to know that the iPhone 11 will start at just $699, where I think everyone was so sure would be a lot higher.

5. mongkee

... Midnight Green please!!

6. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

And the memes are now coming out...

Attached Files:

mokmoki likes this.
  7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

brave move by Apple to reduce the price of the iPhone (11)

I wonder if they will increase the price later once the new tariffs kick-in... Or Apple will just absorb the additional cost. (which means lower income for Apple)

Having the "8" still available is good news and bad news for me... Good news since my company issued phone will still get iOS updates. Bad news - plan is ending next year, I hope Singtel gives us at least the Xr. (Although, I'm an Android user so I only use my iPhone to pair with my gadgets)

Did Apple just gave up on China? No 5G reminds of the original iPhone... It ran on Edge while everyone else had 3G.

Lastly... With the announced price of AppleTV and Disney+, Netflix will be having a bad 2020...

8. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Maybe you can try chat with a representative and ask for one :)

SE20 likes this.
  9. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

Maybe in their October event

10. AVG

AVG Active Member

With the recent announcement of Qualcomm’s 5G roadmap for 2020. I think it’s a good move for Apple to implement 5G next year as it would be better in handling heat and power. Thankfully they’ll be using Qualcomm modem again.

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...locally it wont matter next year. It will take a few more years before local telcos can build a robust 5G network covering most urban centers and not just Metro Manila. I give the duopoly maybe 2022 at the earliest before we ll have stable and wide 5G coverage.

AVG likes this.
  12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

@raypin open a new Apple TV+ thread and let's start talking about what we are going to be watching there (y)

For starters, this one will debut November 1 and it's getting quite a hype already. Kinda like Bird Box/Cloud Atlas/The Hunger Games.

Theus and raypin like this.
  13. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I had "China" and "5G" on the same sentence.

I just have a guest today who's based in Shenzen and he can't believe we (at Singapore) don't have 5G in dense parts of the city...

As per our lunch conversation, they don't have 5G in the entire City, but important places already have it... hence it's a big plus for them to have a device that runs 5G now (he's using an Oppo Reno 5G)

Huawei is aggressively pushing 5G locally... Imagine paying for a more expensive device that is slower than the competition...

I jokingly told him... All you do is use TikTok, LTE should be ok :)

AVG likes this.
  14. AVG

AVG Active Member

That I agree :) 5G is quite difficult to implement specially if our telcos will go with mmwave. Though I feel like they will go with sub 6 then work their way to achieve the “true” 5G (mmwave).

My bad I re-read your post and my response it seems like you’re pertaining to different topic(y)

Hopefully by next year Apple would implement 5G though I agree Huawei been very aggressive with their 5G tech not only them but most Chinese OEMs.

#94 AVG, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:03 AM
    raypin likes this.
  15. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Member

This is excellent news. Thank you for confirming this for us.

rednaxela likes this.
  16. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Haha I also miss his voice overs. We have been listening him introduce Apple products for decades :)