Apple Discontinues 12-Inch MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by denpacs, Jul 9, 2019.

1. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

2019 Macbook Air starts at $1,099. $100 cheaper than the now discontinued base model 2017 Macbook.

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Redundant at best, the Macbook was an unlikely alternative to the more prolific Macbook Air. It was enough that Apple stuck to the two known heavyweights, including the Macbook Pro.

4. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Oo nga. It's not on the Apple PH site either. Kinda sad since I liked this super lightweight laptop. I had a gold one and it was really like bringing along an iPad.

5. davsp

davsp Member

A bit annoyed since i'd just bought a 2018 Air 3 days ago... at 74,990. talk about double rip-off. would anyone know if BTB honors returns for the latest model? in the US they have a 14day no questions asked. man i'm so bummed. i'm so within range of the new base MBP

6. yammie

yammie Active Member

hope they use the form factor when they release an ARM based MacOS.

Shadowfox likes this.
  7. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

It made no sense to continue the product as it will cannibalize the sales of the Ipad pro product line, but I see the appeal it had with consumers preferring the compact factor with the full iOs experience.

8. pennylane

pennylane Active Member

That said, do you know where to buy a MacBook battery? My MacBook is at about 250 battery cycle count already.

Or any battery in the Apple laptop lineup will do?

My worry is that with the Macbook discontinuation, maybe the replacements parts such as battery will be hard to find as well.

9. hitme64

You can ask BTB but am bummed they didn’t at least drop the price or inform you of a coming iteration of the MBA. Usually, when I get an item from them, I ask if there are coming new ones and if there were, if they would give a discount to the one I was buying. They always seemed so responsive to customers especially PhilMug members.

10. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Yeah, my wife was planning to get the MacBook because of it's size and weight. She can fit it in her bag perfectly. Although it's still available in stores locally, I'm having second thoughts about getting one before it's gone for good.

11. markandapps

markandapps Active Member

My MacBook 12 2015 base model still works like a champ. Disappointed that Apple discontinued the MacBook lineup. Was waiting for a MacBook refresh with new keyboard (better & reliable). Well, Apple can always revive the MacBook from the dead. Long live fanless, silent, simple, and ultra portable Macbook.

12. Noel Nuguid

Noel Nuguid New Member

I think the macbook is good for certain people who needs the lightweight form factor but cannot use an iPad due to work reasons. so I’m a bit sad about this.

In my opinion it would be a good marketing spiel to have simple naming conventions:

Macbook = Consumer laptop
    Macbook Pro = Professional laptop
    iMac = Consumer Desktop
    iMac pro = Professional Desktop

maybe they can rename macbook air to just macbook later?

13. markandapps

Maybe. The plain "macbook" moniker is classic and just too iconic to let go. In due time, it will come back for another era. 2006-2012 & 2015-2019.

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree, sans the butterfly keyboard l really like the form factor of the retina Macbook.

However from my personal observation and what I gathered online, although it was recived well it was not the block buster hit that the 11 inch Macbook Air was. IMHO mainly because of the price. I recall the Air was about 900 usd back in 2015 which was very affordable for everyone.

ruprup and hitme64 like this.
  15. hitme64

Heck, I bought two of these. Now they’re gone. I’ll hold on to it for collectors. Maybe like in 10 years they will.

Sunil_K and Salaryman Ryan like this.
  16. Mel

Mel New Member

My macbook retina 12 2017 have a problem in booting up.

17. markandapps

What is the version of MacOS is it running? My MacBook 12 2015 is on Mojave and no problems. I usually maintain 100gb of free space and it can edit 4k video using FCPX.