Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been messaged a few times about my having a Pioneer AVH-X8650BT with CarPlay.

No Time
    - I have no time to have it installed. Busy time of year for me.

iOS 8.x compatibility
    - I suggest you go to a shop carrying Pioneer AVH-X8650BT with CarPlay and plug in your iOS 8 device for a test.

2. yoh_hectic

3. jns888

jns888 Member

Tried carplay with my HU pioneer x8650bt. Problem with carplay is it has limited compatible apps. You're only limited to phone, messages, maps, podcast, music and spotify. Its better to use appradio as it can mirror your phone's screen.

Here's a photo installed in my mirage by my installer musico mobile audio

[​IMG]

4. yoh_hectic

jns888, what apps do you use while driving that aren't designed for CarPlay? In my mind what I would only need is to do voice messaging, voice calls, glance & listen to Waze and enjoy streams from Spotify.

Pioneer, Kenwood and Parrot (AR Drone fame) announced 24 hrs ago their 2015 car stereo head units that has both Apple Carplay and Google's Android Auto.

I will be focusing on Parrot's prototype device because they went beyond what others have done. First of pricing is rumored to be about 1,000 Euros and after watching the video below understand why it is that high vs the rather very skimpy execution done by Pioneer, Alpine and now Kenwood.

I will not bore you with an explanation so watch the video below.

Note to carnuts you will really want to watch this video, trust me on this.

[video=youtube;2i2rij290xU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2rij290xU[/video]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I would like to know are the following will it support USB flash drives or memory cards like the SDXC. This is crucial for two reasons namely recording dashcam video and to play Apple Lossless, FLAC, MP3, AAC & MKV media files. 256GB of flash memory can already be had for less than $100 making CDs and DVDs largely useless.

#64 yoh_hectic, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. yoh_hectic

Preview video from Parrot

[video=youtube;LfrN8IVQB84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrN8IVQB84[/video]

In terms of aesthetics and ergonomics I really like how the Parrot designed both hardware and software.

It doesn't have a logo, no bright neon lights and very minimalistic faceplate that only has a power button, Android Auto/Carplay button, Siri Eyes Free/Android Auto Voice button and what I assume is the + and - for volume control. Outside of the Android Auto/Carplay GUI the Parrot GUI looks really really nice.

6. jns888

jns888 Member

i'd be more than happy if waze is integrated in carplay. that's the only reason why i prefer appradio over carplay.

1 thing to note on pioneer x8650bt is that it plays FLAC and MKV from SD and USB. i am currently using 64gb micro sd with adapter and 128gb usb drive. this headunit has 1 hdmi port and 2 usb port

the parrot HU looks cool though. integration of dashcam and OBD port is a major plus. the question will be how does it sound compared to other HU like top of the line pioneer and alpine

7. jk7777

jk7777 New Member

Can I know which firmware version you have? I have 1.03 and it did not recognize a 64GB Sandisk Thumb Drive (which was really formatted with exFAT).

Manual says SD card compatibility if SD Version 2.0. That means SD & SDHC cards. SDXC sizes (32GB and above) was introduced in SD Version 3.01.

Manual also suggests that the unit reads only FAT,FAT32 and NTFS.

Appreciate if you could explain the formats used and the firmware used please.

8. jns888

jns888 Member

use this download site for firmware 1.06 AVH-X8650BT - Software & firmware downloads - Pioneer Australia

for the format of sd and usb, use NTFS. i had issues with exFAT, FAT16 and FAT32 for some reason. if you're a PC user, download HPUSBDISK to format your storage device. 1 probloem i encoutered using 128gb usb is that my HU does not read the entire files. it gets stuck at 90%

on a good note, a friend of mine is using 256gb SSD using the same HU.

hope this helps

9. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

pioneer x8650bt how much does it retails? Available ba locally?

10. jns888

jns888 Member

yes, its available locally. SRP is 29.5k just make sure you get it from authorized pioneer distributor

11. ian_gabinete

ian_gabinete Member

L.A. Car accessories sells it for 28k. Visit their website.

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

13. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

14. yoh_hectic

Honda is the first japanese car brand in the Philippines to offer built-in Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I visited Honda Alabang & Makati to test if it works on an iPhone 6S with iOS 9 and Google Nexus 6P with Android 6 "Marshmallow".

In the Philippines Apple CarPlay using an iPhone 6S with iOS 9 works without installing any additional app.

When connecting an Android smartphone the stereo of the Honda Civic displayed an error message about Android Auto. My Android smartphone did not notify me that I needed to download the Android Auto app. Android Auto app is not being offered on the PH Google Play store.

Edit: I found and was able to install the apk of Android Auto at http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/. I picked arm64 as it was works with my Nexus 6P. Will test Android Auto tomorrow at Honda.

On the new Honda Civic there are two USB ports. The USB in the center armrest does not allow for Apple CarPlay. The USB port located near floor mat works with it.

I am told that the Honda Accord has the same stereo but there was none on display to verify. Honda City is expected to have a refresh in the coming months with the upgraded stereo as well. The Honda CR-V may see its stereo upgraded in 2017.

Apple CarPlay & Android Auto does not support Waze.

Apple Maps work but its pretty much useless in the Philippines. Google Maps is also absent on CarPlay.

Spotify is on the home screen but that isnt really why you bought a car with CarPlay, is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#74 yoh_hectic, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  15. yoh_hectic

16. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

17. yoh_hectic

I like the concept but wish the LCD was bigger and a wider price gap between the X8750BT or X8850BT.

18. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

The X8750BT came out last year and was Pioneer's flagship head unit . The X8850BT just came out this year and, if I'm not mistaken, is supposed to replace the X8750BT as the new flagship receiver with CarPlay and Android Auto.

I got the X8750BT last year in part for Car Play. My experience with it so far is that sometimes Car Play doesn't work, i.e, plugging in my iPhone 6 Plus won't activate Car Play mode for some reason. At times it takes several tries, plugging in and unplugging, before it works; other times Car Play just won't pop up.

19. yoh_hectic

Thanks for the reply. So it hiccups in spite of the firmware last April 2015?

I was reading up on the difference between the X8750BT & X8850BT and could not find any other than model name change.

After having used both CarPlay and Android Auto makes me want my next car to have the feature and change my car's stereo to one with the feature even just for the rear camera. I was hoping Parrot would sell their head unit but they're such a tease.

do you use Apple Maps? How useful do you find it?

20. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes there are still hiccups and I'm on the April 2015 firmware.

I don't use Apple Maps; I use Waze instead, showing on the iPhone screen while music is playing with Car Play like so (kludgy, I admit):

P4296188.jpg

P4296189.jpg

Car Play is useful for calls, having (all English, properly spelled) text messages read, Spotify and/or Music (Apple Music). I've tried dictating text replies and giving verbal instructions (for Siri) but somehow Siri has some difficulty understanding my Filipino accent (short replies like "Ok," "Thank you," "See you later," are ok). I also had a rear camera installed.

yoh_hectic likes this.