Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

free car for every purchase of a new iPhone :)

would be nice to have this work with current head units. AVT-iPhone 'integration' doesn't quite cut it.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....as a driver, I like integration of our personal, portable devices with vehicles for one major reason: a less distracting driving environment. As it is, many of us have to fiddle with our smartphones, connected via bluetooth or docked via hard cable. Your attention is divided (between driving and fiddling with our portables). With integratration, it takes less of our attention so we can stay focused in controlling 10,000 pounds of metal. Take, for instance, GPS. As it is, we have to manually input destination or search POIs while driving (its a particularly bad habit of mine). With integration, we can accomplish the same task via voice control (Siri). Its just a safer way of doing things (voice, steering wheel control, bigger and easier to read screen etc.). It is why I said that I like CarPlay a lot. It fills a real need. With that, data cost is secondary. It can take a back seat.

4. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

OT: 10000 pounds?

Either you drive a vehicle with armoring or you drive a truck. :p

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm hoping for a car entertainment system that is 100% dependent on your phone... Think Asus Padfone for your car.

Music, Video, Turn by turn directions, even speed and video recording can be done by our devices. The annoying part is trying to activate them whe you're already in the car.

What if you can plan your trip on your PC then send them directly to your device? (I was able to do this with Google Maps but Waze is better there)

Voice integration is useful, but we all know its a bit difficult to speak to your device with an Asian accent, all my Chinese and Indian colleagues find Siri and Google Now useless!

Maybe its too early to judge these systems, but a feature I'm hoping Apple can add is "find my car" :)

6. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Well-Known Member

^hahaha! Well, If you're confident that there's nothing to hide and that you think you're honest and trustworthy enough, then why be afraid and anxious if your messages are being shown in the dashboard. :)

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

There's always something to hide in both parties. (Message to husband): How's your new Panerai, dude? (Message to wife): The Birkin bag you ordered is already here. When will you pick up?

The secrets don't have to be tawdry or illicit.

8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks señor Chito.. I was just about to say the same thing.. :). I remember I was riding with a friend in LA & since drivers aren't allowed to use their mobile phones while driving, she had that Bluetooth thing on the whole time, when a call came in. It was from her BF, who not realizing that she had a passenger with her, just blurted : 'hey honey, I left your undies in the....." There was no point denying that I heard the embarrassing statement. Let's just say that that was an awkward moment for the both of us. ;)

9. raypin

mmm...easiest way to activate is through bluetooth. Since most (if not all) head units have bluetooth on by default, just turn on your smartphones bluetooth. Handshake protocol takes place automatically (once you activate the head unit). Thereafter, the device/smartphone will activate the apps and integrates with the head unit display and steering-mounted control buttons. So, the process becomes seamless. In my case, I've taken the extra step of installing three NFC stickers (sunglass holder) to activate 3 apps on my Lumia 1020: activate Xbox Music to stream offline or on-line music to the head unit, speed dial home (activates hands-free voice comm) and activate MMDA Traffic Navigator for quick traffic outlook. In addition, the bluetooth handshake will let my phone know that I will be driving and turns on drive mode (rejects incoming calls and sends an sms to caller that I am driving. Once I exit the vehicle and bluetooth connection is broken, incoming calls will be restored). Point is these half-measures are not nearly enough. What I want is full integration and turn my vehicle into a smart car. CarPlay is a major step forward towards that goal. Apple, Inc. is on the right track. It is certainly and supremely more practical than Google's driverless car project.

#29 raypin, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  10. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

I wonder if they will also throw in a steering wheel with QWERTY keyboard to reply to SMS messages or typing an email while driving since SIRI is more often SIRA:p

11. raypin

mmm......head unit equipped with mic (or multiple mic) for better sound pick-up = better voice recognition.

12. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

*Disclamer: I do not use an iPhone instead I use an Android device connected via BT to my Navigation system. Initial thought for me was what makes Carplay different from my existing Navigation system. It would be interesting to see it in action and how much different it is from existing technology.

#32 xthine, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  13. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Couldn't said it more better.

When I heard about Apple developing an intuitive software to integrate iPhones and car's own Nav or Radio system, i was like, meh i've been using a system similar to those for almost 2 years already.

So why would I want another interface?

Yeah, steering wheel controls navigate my Bluetooth-connected iPhone while I drive.
    Simple controls like adjustment of volume, Next or Prev track, Call or End phone call and Mode button to shuffle between Am/FM, Bluetooth and Sirus XM radio.

Only benefit I can think of Apple's CarPlay would be a slicker interface with iOS-like buttons and such.
    Currently, my Nav doesn't even display the album cover of the song i'm playing. And I guess CarPlay would do more than that.
    Just like what they display on the iPhone when it's playing a song.

But how easy or difficult would be the CarPlay to control via steering wheel cbuttons?
    Believe me, you won't find it easy fiddling with your Nav screens touch buttons as removing your eye off the road even for a single second can spell catastrophe.

14. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Is the implementation like Airplay for your car? So the console is actually just a touch screen display that sends and receives information from your iphone or is it a stand alone smart device?

15. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

It's just a normal Nav Head Unit that accepts touch commands as input from the user.
    It has an interface which shows the song i'm currently playing, Artist and Album of the track and a Next/Prev, Pause/Play touch button
    My iPhone is connected via bluetooth and can also control the phone via steering wheel controls.

Did I answer your question?

16. GilGrissom

Oh sorry I wanted to know if anyone knew how apple was going to implement carplay. Whether it was a going to be a receiver for data coming from an iOS device or whether it was going to run a totally independent version of iOS on its own like Airplay.

17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Kenwood and Pioneer have an iPhone 'App Mode' that is somehow similar to CarPlay. Not all apps are supported though but it's probably the same situation with CarPlay at the moment.

[video=youtube;bgaY7PMx9vk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgaY7PMx9vk[/video]

18. raypin

Mmm.....only problem is standard head units (they look like remnants of the '80s and exudes zero class) are losing flavor in favor of OEM-type head units (aftermarket units that are facsimiles of originals). I don't see this exclusively-Apple as a problem for non-iPhone using car owners. Just buy an iPhone for the vehicle and enjoy the benefits, with the exception of SMS (as calls can be forwarded). Just think of it as a car accessory.

#38 raypin, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  19. RAC

RAC Member

Apple is about to get into your car in the smoothest way possible. The computer giant has launched CarPlay, which integrates its iOS mobile operating system into a car’s information and entertainment system. CarPlay includes maps, phone interface and message display that will use the car’s buttons and dashboard display. Initially, the interface requires that the user plug in his iPhone, but later iterations will surely have wireless connectivity.
    Apple says that its maps application will include turn-by-turn navigation, traffic warnings, and predictive destination selection. The system can read and reply to text messages as you drive. Of course, music playback will be included. Voice command using the infamous Siri will also be a feature.
    Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo are the car companies that will first roll out CarPlay, with BMW group, Chevrolet, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot-Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota to follow suit.
    - See more at: Apple launches CarPlay to bring iOS into the automobile | Motioncars

20. GilGrissom

I definitely agree with integration. But our smartphones are already integrated devices. In my current setup I merely have to turn on my Bluetooth (I can actually just leave it on) and it gets detected when I turn on my car. Music, Calls, and Microphone are relayed to my car’s stock system. Interface is done via my stock steering wheel controls and voice control. And my car isn’t even a high end model (2013 Elantra).

My point is that I am already doing this with my setup. An added larger screen console may actually be more distracting on your dashboard. I will be happy with a car that is just Bluetooth enabled. But that’s just me.