Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

2. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

that price needs to go down... but could be a good solution for someone who has multiple cars (especially considering CarPlay HUs are only just beginning to get traction in PH).

still happy enough with the WinCE-based CarPlay dongle i currently have.

3. ice

agree. at $350 for the wired version, it already more expensive than the Sony AX1000

4. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Had some time during the lockdown to do this DIY project on the Ravvy:

3B1A11C2-5CF1-4372-98BC-D3F2547D9AAA.jpeg
    It’s a 10in UGAR UX1 with built-in wireless Carplay that I ordered from Lazada.

Invisigoth, chris2x and leninmac like this.
  5. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I did a quick search for "YouTube and Netflix on CarPlay" and nothing came up. So...

I've decided to upgrade my vehicle and it seems that infotainment systems seem to be a standard feature on almost all of the new car models. So much for the Anti-Distracted Driving Act... but I digress. Sometimes I prefer the documentaries on video streaming apps or listening to songs on YouTube while driving, like songs from "Live from Daryl's House"... and I'm not sure if they're available on any of the music streaming apps. Can you use Youtube and Netflix apps on CarPlay from the infotainment screens on today's cars?

#247 macdiver, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    leninmac likes this.
  6. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

No you can’t. Apple probably intentionally did this so as not to distract the driver from driving. I’m sure there’s probably a workaround. I’ve seen third party accessories such as USB dongles enabling video streaming support but it’s not an official of Apple CarPlay feature.

Your other option is to buy an aftermarket android head unit. Apart form those apps built in. There’s usually an app that allows mirroring of your iPhone.

macdiver likes this.
  7. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks.

Is the YouTube Music app available on CarPlay?
    If not, I guess I can just pair my iPhone with the car's infotainment HU via bluetooth if I want to listen to the songs on YouTube.

leninmac likes this.
  8. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Active Member

More photos please.

I wish Apple offered the iPad to automakers for their in-car entertainment.

Imagine the 2021 iPad Pro M1 12.9" on your dash. iPadOS updates of up to year 2031. From 5nm to sub-1nm in a decade.

leninmac likes this.
  9. leninmac

DIY iPad Pro on a Ford F150.

10. leninmac

I believe so.

macdiver likes this.
  11. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Yes it is.

macdiver likes this.
  12. ice

looks cute in theory, but not practical...

same reason why I'm not interested in installing those Android head units from Navitopia and Growl.

you need to log-in to your account to use/install the Apps.

If you use your account to activate the device, anyone who uses the car will be able to see your history (map, YouTube, browser, etc)

set-up is ok if you're the only person using/driving the car.

leninmac likes this.
  13. leninmac

You can always use the screen lock passcode to prevent others from accessing your iPad. What might be a cause for concern is your iPad’s power consumption might drain your car’s battery.

14. ice

so if your dad borrows your car, they won't have access to maps, music and your reverse camera :D

CarPlay (and iMessage) is the only reason why I'm switching back to iOS by end of this year.

Android Auto is not as reliable compared to wireless CarPlay.

leninmac likes this.
  15. leninmac

Good point. For Android devices though there is a way to create multiple accounts. You can create multiple pass codes for multiple accounts.

16. ice

yes... however "switching accounts" on Android is too slow for me. The wait feels like restarting your phone all the time.
    (tried it on my Note 20 Ultra, Pixel and Tablets) so I can't imagine how Android head units can provide a better experience.

Initially, I was thinking of building a custom mount for the iPad, so if someone else uses the car, they can just plug the iPad and go...

Fast forward to 2021. My daughter uses an Air, my wife uses an iPad and I gave away mine. so the plan won't work.

Best way is to have your phone sync to the head-unit and start driving... just like how CarPlay is designed.

17. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

In my experience, for as long as Android Auto or CarPlay work as they should, they are both great.

When I switched to Android some years back, CarPlay was hit or miss compared to Android Auto, which was much better especially for Waze/Google Maps. Just before I switched back to iOS late last year though, I was having issues with OK Google, Waze and Google Maps in Android Auto and CarPlay seemed like a refreshing change as it just worked.

Now, for some strange reason, Waze in CarPlay seems to be wonky at times with its navigation, even for the exact same daily route I take to/from the office.

18. ice

Waze for me in the past month has been weird. It also (wildly) changes routes while driving.