Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

with more features coming to carplay with iOS 13, i think it would be worth it. i would have gotten a stock option if i had a choice.

https://www.cultofmac.com/635902/whats-new-carplay-ios-13/

bugs likes this.
  2. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

There's an option to update in the app itself, just don't connect your phone yet.

3. vtf

vtf Active Member

car play update on IOS 13!

raypin likes this.
  4. Dekra

^ Can't wait! But I hope the dongle will still work on iOS 13 though

5. jologs

jologs Active Member

I just got a Ford Ranger with CarPlay and I can definitely say it's worth it. It's one of those things that once you experience it, you just got to have it, IMO.

hitme64 and bugs like this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

That’s one thing I didn’t get with the 2017 Ranger. And now the new iterations have CarPlay. So is the 2019 Honda Odyssey which I am actually considering as replacement to the rather tall Ford truck, which has native CarPlay already on board.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

The refreshed 2019 Honda BR-V also sports a CarPlay head unit as well as back up camera. Honda said CarPlay is one of the most requested feature. As mentioned above Mazda is also offering the upgrade for older models (2, 3, 6, CX5, CX3) for PHP 17,500.00

I'm also happy to see that this feature is trickling down to affordable cars. TOTL Kia Soluto filling in the Void Honda City/Toyota Vios left @ PHP 700k comes with CarPlay head unit. Hyundai's same-body competitor, Reina, only sports a 2-DIN head unit.

Toyota, who opposed CarPlay/Android Auto due to safety concerns are now integrating it to new models. They missed out the obvious point that Apple can upgrade the software to address any safety issues with the UI/UX.

The new CarPlay looks better when shown on a wider display *ehem* Benz/BMW. My Civic looks so cluttered when I switch to the Glance view but I love that you can navigate your phone while keeping the app you are using on-display.
    *fingers crossed waze is supported in the maps section of glance view*

Also, Glance view is not available for iPhone 6s and older. This might be due to RAM limitations.

raypin likes this.
  8. vincer

vincer Member

The dongle I bought from Lazada a few months ago works with Carplay / iOS 13.

chris2x and Dekra like this.
  9. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

interesting... i've never figured this out. can you PM me the steps? but you might be on an Anrdoid HU? i'm on a WinCE HU...

10. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

CarPlay is really a game-changer. It's a deal-breaker for me when buying a new car.

11. Dekra

Yes, I am on Android. I needed to use my iPhone as a hotspot to the HU in order to have an internet connection, the way I used to do before I had the dongle. The app will download the update when requested.

I'll try to take photos of the available options in the app.

12. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Boyfriend paid Mazda 19,000 to activate CarPlay on his 2019 2.5L Mazda CX-5.

GUI response on the Mazda with iPhone 7 Plus is far faster than that of the 2016 Honda Civic RS with iPhone 8 Plus.

13. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Other than the stock/OEM CarPlay stereos who have looked into (and used?) after-sales third party head units?

14. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Since CarPlay piggybacks on Android OS of the Car's HU, I'm guessing Mazda's 2019 Android HU is newer/faster than that of Civic RS (launched in 2015/2016). Mine's hella buggy (Civic RS) but I'm willing to put up with the constant restarts or replug as long as CarPlay is there.

15. jologs

jologs Active Member

Interesting. Ford didn't charge me extra for CarPlay. the 2019 Wildtrak just came with it.

16. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

Was CarPlay bundled when you bought it or was it installed after?

17. jologs

jologs Active Member

It already came pre-installed when the dealer released the unit to me. As far as I know, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are already standard features of the Ford Sync 3 infotainment system.

#217 jologs, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  18. vtf

vtf Active Member

the MG ZS Alpha comes with CarPlay in a Yamaha-tuned HU. what a game changer

19. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The 2020 Ford Explorer ST will integrate CarPlay alongside Amazon and Google so I guess that’s plus 1 for the thread What car do you drive?

20. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

4A6581B5-4910-4C8F-81B5-D0978B29A83C.jpeg

Took the plunge & had apple CarPlay installed on my Mazda 3.