Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

well i couldn't make it to work at all, and the seller wasn't helpful with any of my queries, so i'm putting it in as a defective product. i ordered another similar product now, been reviewed by someone saying that it worked with his WinCE head unit, so i've made the order and i'll wait for that to come through and then i'll give feedback. :)

Xotigu likes this.
  2. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

i finally got it to work. :) the device came from a different vendor. this is where i got mine:
    https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i142779090-s163026601.html

i do observe problems with the reverse camera switch out (a bit buggy), volume control (basically you can't) and crappy GPS signal, but hopefully the latter 2 items can be resolved over time with firmware updates of the dongle.

Xotigu likes this.
  3. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

is it somehow smooth? since most WINCE headunits only have 200mb of RAM. I don't know how carplay works so not sure if it's just pure mirroring from our iphone or does it involve the head unit's resources.

4. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

it's not silky smooth (touch -drag motions, for example, don't register all that well), but good enough for what people will probably use it for i.e. Waze/Google Maps. i actually have to take back what i said earlier - GPS signal seems to have stabilised well enough now that i'm able to get a good lock as i drive. it looks like a hybrid of mirroring since it's showing different content on the screen vs. what you get frmo your phone e.g. Waze shows a list of waypoints/favorites before you start, and shows the turn-by-turn in text while your screen shows the actual map.

do you want me to post a video? i can post towards the weekend, just tell me what i need to show you so that i can put it in the walkthrough.

5. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

Thank you for the feedback.
    Hmm to be honest, I was gonna ask if you live around Makati/BGC so that i'll go to your place and try the dongle.
    But nvm, video review is enough, just showing the navigation of menu and Waze/Google maps :)

6. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

welllll i happen to live in BGC on weekdays/weeknights. if you want to try the unit on your car, i suggest you at least figure out what your navi SD card looks like. Mine uses the AVT map/exe i think, and uses a NAVIGATION.EXE. if that's the case, we can hot swap my SD and dongle/cable to your car and see how that works out. just please don't run away with it... :D

i can still post a video regardless for anyone else here who might be interested.

7. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

hmm, will this work on the stock HU of a 2017 Innova. Not sure if the HU's OS is WinCE or Android.

8. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

can you share photos? regardless, this unit should work for both WinCE and Android. ;)

leninmac likes this.
  9. leninmac

Supporter

Here you go. I believe it's manufactured by Winterpine as with most current Toyota HUs.

index.jpg

10. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

it's a bit hard to tell based on this photo (it's a bit small!), but based on what i can see online about the head unit, it is probably the CNE-6863M. on the right hand side opposite the CD tray, when you open the GPS cover that reveals the microSD card, can you check its contents and confirm if you see a Windows-based filesystem (potentially a NAVIGATION folder, and a NAVIGATION.EXE in place)?

i assume there is a USB port set up somewhere in the car that allows you to playback movies with.

assuming these two points hold true, then we can confirm that (1) you are using a WinCE head unit, and (2) you can use the dongle. there are some other steps that can be carried out to validate compatibility further, but at least that first point is a dead giveaway.

leninmac likes this.
  11. leninmac

Supporter

Thanks. Will check that out later. Yes The micro SD does contain a navigation system, there's also plenty of USB ports both for charging and for playing music not sure about movies though.

12. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

that's probably it. now the bigger question is how to check for compatibility and usability... there's a vague CPU requirement available online, and you could replace the executable initially with a diagnostic program that tells you exactly what OS, CPU and RAM the HU is running on.

leninmac likes this.
  13. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

@chris2x my usb dongle arrived yesterday and it works on my head unit :) thanks a lot!

my only problem is that the Next/Previous button on my steering wheel doesn't work(volume button works though) and when reversing the carplay minimizes and goes back to home menu.lol
    other than that, everything's good :D

14. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

you're welcome! glad that i was able to help :D yes the lack of physical controls really is a bummer isn't it? but hey, i'll take the good with the bad. if i can find a later version of the executable that works with the controls i'll pass it along.

15. Xotigu

Xotigu Active Member

yes please, do update us again :)
    hoping the next version will fix those minor issues.