Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by ice, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

From The Verge

Apple's CarPlay puts iOS on your dashboard | The Verge

[​IMG]

2. pscolboy

pscolboy Member

We probably won't see this from budget/entry level model cars

3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Question running in my head... How come the photo above has a CD/DVD player?

4. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Its only logical to add it to new models with displays. I hope that even lower end models (with display coming standard) be able to make use of CarPlay.

5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope Apple will produce or allow 3rd parties like Kenwood, Pioneer, etc to make CarPlay.

I would like to be able to install CarPlay into pre-exisitng cars.

It is unfortunate that Apple made CarPlay compatible with iPhone 5, 5S and 5C only.

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Click here to see complete list.

6. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

7. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

CarPlay feels kinda weird. Its already been argued time and again how touch isn't a very good interface in cars, compared to buttons. And here we are, with the new CarPlay, fumbling to tap the right "digital button" on the screen. Having Siri available is nice, but its still very difficult to tell Siri to call a Filipino name. Or invoke Siri to try to navigate you on Filipino roads.

And by buying CarPlay equipped cars, does this mean that you won't be able to use other brands of phones? Honestly, I don't really see the point. But I guess we'll see it when it gets here.

8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I think touch screens in autos are a done deal. Garmin has implemented this for more than a decade. Same with the OEM navis of many American, Japanese and European cars (not common in RP because we have very poor mapping resources locally). Even aftermarket DVD players with swing-out screens (Pioneer for one) have touch screens. Had mine in a CRV since 9 years ago. No biggie.

Sure, there may be an ongoing argument about the practicability of touch screens in cars, but I see people voting with their wallets.

9. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

They'll probably bundle an iPhone with every purchase of a new car with carplay.

10. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

CarPlay, or any car/phone interface for that matter, will only be optimized if basic controls (volume, play/stop, answer calls) are integrated into the steering wheel like with some medium-/high-end cars in the USA / Europe. Touching the control panel as shown above can be dangerous as you take your eyes off the road. At the very least, it'll need a Siri-like function. Just don't have your kids shouting at the back! :rolleyes:

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....I think its because Apple's Car Play is pure software that car OEMs can freely integrate with their respective head units, in like manner that Windows CE once was. I like it a lot. Car Play is also Apple's first software that doesn't run exclusively on Apple hardware (not counting Hackintosh).

#11 raypin, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  12. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Technically, iTunes, Quicktime, and Safari don't require Apple Hardware ;-)

Leo

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.....yup, you're right @leoC. Just to clarify, I was thinking more along the lines of an O.S. and whatever custom coding CarPlay has, it can be considered as an operating system much like Windows CE (Embedded Compact), which were installed on numerous devices (pocket PC, GPS, media player) other than PCs. Windows CE is distinct from Windows X (x=version). I'm guessing that CarPlay's O.S. belong to the same category as CE, a separate or distinct O.S. different from iOS. As for iTunes, Quicktime and Safari, they are just applications riding on Apple O.S., and later on, non-Apple O.S.

14. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

15. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

I always preferred the smartphone mounted on a car setup instead of a built in console on the dashboard. For the following reasons:

1. I prefer having my data be mobile. When I am playing a song and I leave my car I can listen to where I left off. Switching from driving navigation to walking navigation can be seamless if you can carry your device around.
    2. Will I need a separate internet connection for my car? That may be an added expense and present potential data cap limitations.
    3. I upgrade my phone faster than I upgrade my car. I know my device will always be relevant.

I currently have a touch screen console on my dash and I really prefer it to be dumb or just smart enough to receive input and output data from my phone.

16. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Well, Siri could be annoying sometimes. gastos na naman to, not to mention data services.

17. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Says here in Apple's ad that CarPlay will work with steering wheel audio controls or existing buttons on your radio if you don't have touchscreen. How cool is that!?!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

People who cannot afford to buy cars don't buy iPhones.

Just sayin'. :)

On the other hand, we can expect Apple's competitors to bundle theirs on other vehicles.

[​IMG]

:p

19. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Nah... Have you seen how many iPhones are there in BPOs? I'm pretty sure not all of them can afford to buy cars. :D

BTT: this should be a pretty cool thing to have on your car but just adds another distraction to keep the drivers' eyes off the road. It remains to be seen how it can truly keep a driver's eyes from glancing at the screen. Lucky for passengers riding shotgun :).

20. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Like the Bluetooth connection that allows you to use your car stereo system as a hands free speaker system for your phone, & allows other people in your car (in case you don't drive alone ) to hear your phone conversations.. Carplay, presents the same issues... & worse, since your phone SMS or iMessages will probably be readable by other people in the car.... The possible complications are endless.... Ha ha.... I can already imagine divorce proceedings with the wife testifying: " ... & then your honor, I heard a beep from the dashboard, it was a text message...." Ha ha. Good luck with that.

#20 greta87, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014