Apple’s Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS, XS Max & XR

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by denpacs, Jan 16, 2019.

?

Are you getting one?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

hitme64 likes this.
  2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have nothing against these cases but my most important consideration would be are they shock-proof?

Am not going to buy something that won’t withstand falls and bumps or even get wet. But if they are what they say they are then why not?

My last Apple leather case lasted 2 years before it inexplicably cracked in the lower left side and when I took it off found my iPhone 7 with a dent underneath that crack, something I didn’t know until i removed the case.

3. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Smart Battery Case is priced at $129 and is designed to add extra battery life to the iPhone.

@ that price, i can get a rav power power bank (26k mah) with usb c port (usd51 (promo)), apple usb c to lightning (usd19) and have change...

makoeracho and hitme64 like this.
  4. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

Looks like teenage mutant ninja turtles. Hahaha

makoeracho and hitme64 like this.
  5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...it is the same design (weird humpback) as before (since iPhone 6). Nothing new. The important things are durability (it will last long), safety (no exploding batteries) and reliability (it Just works). I have zero doubts since it is an Apple product.

RavPower (local official sales channel through Lazada). I have two battery banks from them. Okay quality brand from the US. So, it is one of my trusted Quality brands (along with Anker, Momax, Belkin).

The Xs Max lasts long. Rarely use battery bank.

#5 raypin, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    makoeracho likes this.
  6. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally! loved this on my iPhone 6s, yeah it might not look that much and it actually got negative reviews at first but long time users had only favorable things to say about them and i'm one of them. I tried out mophie, anker and other similar batt cases but nothing beats the one made by apple. Will use one on m iPhone XS Max i dont mind if it fattens my iPhone hehe will surely be great when travelling and out of town/country no need to bring a powerbank. Some stuff i love about it are: This is for the 6s version - Built in battery indicator widget - its there along with your apple watch, bluetooth speakers, etc and neatly laid out. Pass through charging - just charge your phone while in a case and dont worry about anything else. Its very simple to use no need to worry about switches etc, typical apple. Bottomline, you dont realize how good it is until you actually use it. Is it overpriced? Definitely, just like my ipad pro 2018, apple pencil 2nd gen etc hehe, typical apple overpriced but its the best out there hehe

#6 shootertwist, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    makoeracho, trigo, raypin and 2 others like this.
  7. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

Might as well buy a fast charger (or a power bank that supports fast charging). :p It's so ugly in my opinion.

makoeracho likes this.
  8. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Nope. It fugly.

makoeracho and quicksilver like this.
  9. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

At $129, hell no! Make it $29 then I'll reconsider. Hahaha

makoeracho, trigo and prof_er like this.
  10. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

My reaction to this would be the same with Apple's last battery case for the iPhone 6S...

While there are probably better looking battery cases out there for the XS, XS Max and XR, I have no doubt that this is still the battery case to have if you're really into such. Any battery case, from any manufacturer, will not look as appealing to anybody who's not into battery cases anyway. By design and function, these things will always be bulky and add considerable weight on an iPhone. I'm pretty sure slapping on this big chunk of battery outside your iPhone will never make it prettier no matter who makes it

I myself was not into battery cases during my 6S days but decided to use one because of this one game that forced me to walk around with my iPhone on hand. I tried Mophie's offering back then (who was already an established battery case maker) and while it looked okay, my main gripes were: (a) it had a MicroUSB port (no pass-through Lightning port and the thought of having to go back to a MicroUSB cable to charge was dreadful enough for me) and (b) to check the case's battery level was just the press-a-button-and-LEDs-light-up kind of thing. So i ponied up for an original Apple battery case and the higher cost was well worth it. Only when I held it and used it daily did I appreciate why Apple designed and built the way they did. It was easy to hold (where the hump actually helped) and its seamless iOS integration was second to none. The only thing I didn't like was the rubber-like material that attracted dirt and lint when I put it in my pocket (but was still easy to wipe clean)

Fast forward to today, I'm not sure if there are already 3rd party battery cases out there that uses a pass-through Lightning port and even if there were I'm pretty sure that Apple's battery case is still be best

As for cost, when did Apple sell anything cheap anyway?

-----------------

As for this thread's poll, I had to answer "no" since I need to use my magnetic car mount and i highly doubt the magnet will stick if the plates are underneath the external battery. Otherwise, I may have also bought this for use when I travel

makoeracho and raypin like this.
  11. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

I'm seriously considering this for an upcoming trip. Has there been any news on when this will be available here in the PH?

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

For the X/XS, it's a must have, for the max and XR, it might be a stretch. I could imagine insane battery life with it though. Maybe instead of getting my battery replaced, I'd get one of this in the near future.

raypin likes this.
  13. speeds

speeds Active Member

Bought one from iStudio last week. Wished it had a ON or OFF switch though.

makoeracho, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  14. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^And that is why I passed on this...

15. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow meron na pala thanks for the heads up will get one for my xs max, now this will last me two days hehe... you must have a different use case scenario, in my case when i had the 6s version its just convenient charging it normally then having twice the capacity so my batt lasts for 2 days hence no need for the on/off button. If its just for those rare instances when you need to top up then i guess a regular powerbank will do, no need to get this and no need to deal with the bulk for the whole day.

16. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

The whole reason why it doesn't have such is because it's not meant to be a backup battery. That's where the "smart" comes from. The thing with powerbanks is it's not the most efficient way of charging a device, there's an efficiency loss of 5-10% (heat) when transferring energy, the smart battery case minimizes this by being used first before actually draining your phone's internal battery. Imagine having a on/off button and turning it ON only when you need to recharge your drained internal battery while using it, the heat alone would be noticeable.

17. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Not a day-to-day case but I can see instances where this would come in handy. Having said that, it's kinda hard to justify the price for the occasional usefulness. It doesn't help that it's ugly as heck either :p.

18. makoeracho

makoeracho New Member

yeah that's a great idea

19. yoshikoh

yoshikoh New Member

how much the price?

20. cholale

cholale Member

it's 7990, less 5% if cash so 7600