Aperture

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by dominiquejames, Oct 20, 2005.

1. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Here are the specs of Aperture.

[​IMG]

[Edited on 10-19-2005 by dominiquejames]

2. jepaz

jepaz Active Member

I'm having problem with your link.

Is it this ONE?

[Edited on 10-19-2005 by jepaz]

3. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Correct link updated. Thanks for pointing it out.

4. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Recommended System

* Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or faster
    * 2GB of RAM
    * One of the following graphics cards:
    o ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
    o ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
    o NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
    o NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
    o NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
    o NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
    * 5GB of disk space for application, templates, and tutorial
    * DVD drive for installation

I'll have to wait til next year to play with this... hahahah

5. danieldy

danieldy Member

Aperture is amazing! If only they could optimize the code to make it run smoothly on PBs..

6. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

That is one hungry piece of software. I'm excited to get my hands on it! :D

7. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

so this is apple's photoshop killer? been hearing about it for quite some time now, presumably waiting in the wings until the time comes that adobe completely ignores the mac (i hope not). but the requirements are ridiculous :dead: what about that office-killer steve? is pages/iwork the best that you can do? :winkgrin:

8. King

I dont see this a Photoshop killer. Aperture is an app focused on the needs of the photographer. I'm hoping for a Aperture Express in the future that bridges the gap between Aperture & iPhoto. For what it can do the recommended specs should be expected. Thank goodness Apple's moving to Intel at least after the switch hardware will be far more superior to what we've been suffering for the past months.

iWork is a work in process. Office has had 12 versions already. Pages is v. 1.x & Keynote is v. 2.x

[Edited on 10.19.05 by King]

9. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

uhmm... duh?

even at version 2, keynote is already very mature and way better than powerpoint (on a mac at least). for what aperture can do the specs are overkill, you can get by doing the same thing in pscsx on an ibook without problems. must be all that eye-candy again... :D

10. King

Errr did you go to the Aperture webpage? Aperture allows you to work directly with RAW files (as well as many other file types) at speeds far faster than PSCS2. To accomplish this it uses CoreImage for it's image processing as that would mean it uses the GPU for image processing. You may not mind waiting for PSCS2 to render this or that but when you have a client sitted beside you expecting results then and there it becomes a bit embarassing.

Aperture may be in the same class as PS but isnt at the same feature class. I dont see anyone dropping PS in favor for Aperture but I do see pro photogs using Aperture to improve their work flow. If it means more time & flexibility to entertain more clients & to make more money I see a lot of pros ponying up for the "overkill specs".

Time was people considered 3D accelerators overkill for a standard computer but now MS is introducing a 3D accelerated Windows years after Apple introduced it in OS X 10.2.

11. HooHaw

HooHaw Member

Uh... does that mean in the very near future Adobe will stop relaeasing OS X versions of Photoshop? Like what they did with Premier because of Final Cut Pro.

12. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

Hmm, from the screen shots, it somehow has this Capture One deja vu feel to it...

(O.S.)
    Sound of thunder clapping...

Aperture is a workflow software, not (yet?) a photo-editing software like Photoshop (or Elements) with layers, dodge, burn, clone, heal, patch, collaging photos, liquify, etc...

You would use Aperture THEN edit/retouch your images in PSCS.

Maybe Aperture is just one part of a bigger suite (Pro Photo?) though...

[Edited on 10-20-2005 by randytamayo]

13. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

... hello? its faster because theyre running it on a dualie g5! you know apple, magaling magexag... the same way they exag the g4 vs p4... i wouldnt be surprised if the pscs2 system they tested on wasnt a dualie.. or even a mono g5... specs are still overkill for lowly powerpc users, thats something you cant reason out.

14. CooLes

CooLes Active Member

Here is my take on Apple's Aperture. Its a fine piece of software for photographers (professional or hobbyists) who are looking for a better workflow to process their RAW images. It directly competes with Adobe's Bridge and other software like Capture One or even smaller apps like Photo Mechanic.

It may also prove to be a very useful tool for fine art photographers who spend most of their time before the shoot and not after, are those who prefer not to post-process their images much or at all.

In fact this complements Photoshop well. After all, the selected images that still needed finer (selective) control always go to Photoshop. Since Aperture's settings are applied globally, Photoshop has a higher degree of editing with its use of masks, layers, feathering selection, etc. even for controlling sharpness across the depth of field of an image. I'd like to see some plug-ins in the future to greatly enhance this promising product.

Lastly, you know when to upgrade your hardware when your machine is not listed in its minimum system requirements :D

[Edited on 10-20-2005 by CooLes]

15. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Apple to update iPhoto with some of the technology of Aperture.

16. King

Aperture is targetted at prosumer/pro photog needs. Those who have worked with RAW files will understand beefyness of the minimum/recommended specs.

G4s would choke on multiple RAW files. Just go to the Aperture site and see the workflow of 3 top end pro photogs. If you've worked with RAW files before you'd be amazed at the speed of Aperture rendering changes in real time.

Aperture requires video cards that can do CoreImage competently. No G4 has the CoreImage video card Aperture needs.

Based on the feedback on this thread by those who work with RAW for a living Aperture appears to be a godsend.

As CooLes mentioned it complements PS because of the limited feature-set of Aperture. I bet side by side on identical machines Aperture would render photos faster than PS because of CoreGraphics. If you want to go in-dept you'll need to use PS.

17. Damien_prime2

Damien_prime2 Member

Overkill ung requirements!!!! But hey, since i'm not a professional photographer, i'm happy with iphoto/photoshop :D

18. mgd

mgd Member

I suspect they already have, possibly testing some features and the UI with the last iPhoto version. The image manipulation controls of iPhoto are similar to Aperture's UI.

Also, Aperture seems to go up against Bibble more than PSCS2.

[Edited on 10-20-2005 by mgd]

19. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

Here's hoping I can sell my car and buy a 17" PB with 2GB RAM and a 23" ACD to run Aperture.

NOT!!! :p

20. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

... unless apple decides to suddenly make a g5 pbook, theres no way to run aperture on our lowly g4 macs. aside from my system requirements gripes, i still cant fathom the price of $500 for software that only does one thing well (at least based on the feature list), editing raw images... whats up with that? its only iphoto/preview on steroids. in any case im only an amateur photographer, so what would i know?