anyone uses Microsoft Onedrive?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Nov 16, 2019.

1. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Hi, been playing around with cloud storage. I already have the icloud the lowest entry level. but im looking at the family sharing icloud since my siblings and i can share the storage. But while browsing for other option i saw that Onedrive offers ₱4,699/year for the Office OneDrive Home (1 TB per user. Up to 6 users = 6tb in total) which i think is a much better deal than the icloud at P499 per month or P5988/year and has a max of 2TB only.

The question is can the OneDrive be substituted with the icloud if im on an apple ecosystem but i use Microsoft office alot too!

any experience/reviews with OneDrive?

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....I ve used Microsoft’s OneDrive for a couple of years now. Works perfectly on all my Apple devices and non-Apple. Use with great confidence. No issues.

Technically, It is not a substitute but an independent cloud storage since you will still be using iCloud by default on your Apple devices.

JohannChua likes this.
  3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have been a OneDrive user since it was was still called SkyDrive. I have two accounts, a personal fee version that's tied to my Hotmail account (41GB) and a work-provided one with Office365 E5 (1TB).

That said, I also have a paid iCloud storage account (50GB) which I still maintain for my lone Apple device, an iPad Air 1. These days, I'm more on my PC than iOS so I am thinking of cancelling my iCloud subscription altogether and revert back to the free 5GB service. Anyway, it's just being used for backup.

But to your question, like raypin says, you still need some sort of a "catch all" cloud storage for everything Apple related so it might make sense to keep your iCloud sub if you're more into Apple than Windows. The 50GB iCloud sub is just P49 a month anyway.

4. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

OneDrive is better in terms of collaboration especially in an office environment. i have not had any issues using OneDrive on OSX, i think they work well together (imagine that.. microsoft and apple). I have a macbook air so space is always a concern so having all work related files up in the cloud is necessary. aside from this, there are two more reasons why cloud storage is now a necessity at least for me: convenience (sync is flawless; you know its happening) and security. To expound on the second one, i have lost a lot of files stored in external devices either by theft, negligence, hardware failure or utter stupidity. Cloud storage, OneDrive in particular, made this problem "go away".

the free iCloud account that i have is sufficient enough to cover important personal files.

catalysmic, JohannChua and zagu like this.
  5. oj88

Helpful tip: Probably like most people, you store a boatload of sensitive files (either personal or business) in the cloud. But even if you don't, it's still a great idea to do two things:

1. Use a strong password
    2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA).

These precautions adds a very thick layer of protection from unauthorized access to your files. Most breaches happen because of compromised accounts (ie. Weak password or using the same password across multiple online services, etc.) Having a strong password is self-explanatory but even that can be stolen. 2FA adds a second barrier as it would require access to your phone or email to either require you to enter an OTP or approve the access everytime you sign-in (using the Authenticator app).

Know this, however. If you have a OneDrive account provided by your employer as part of Office 365, you should be aware that administrators and probably other delegated users (ie. Legal, HR, Compliance, etc.) may have access to your files. That is by design as anything you put in there are subject to audit. That said, I wouldn't recommend putting your contraband files in there, in case it wasn't obvious enough. But if it makes you feel any better, not all companies are mature enough to enforce such restrictions. Just be aware.

zoo101, raypin, kyubi and 2 others like this.
  6. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

^never mix work with your personal affairs (legal or otherwise.. ::)) )

7. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

If you want unlimited cloud storage, use Gsuite. Use Rclone to encrypt your data on any type of cloud storage.

8. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

unlimited on gsuites? how?

9. oj88

Only if you qualify.

Unlimited storage is only available on GSuite Business and Enterprise plans and ONLY if you have 5 or more users.

10. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Just search it at r/DataHoarder posts for the latest instructions on how to. Please don't sell G suite accounts in Lazada/Shoppee after learning this.

It is not that hard really qualify and Google is not really strict on the requirements but there is actually a daily upload limit as Linus tested out one of his videos. I am pretty sure a lot of people like you and me uses this to backup data. It is really cheap 10 bucks/month for unlimited cloud storage.

#10 wingatu, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  11. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

I am happy with OneDrive as it is a part of my Office 365 . I use it on all devices (Winddows, Mac, iOS ,Andriod ) without a problem

Ghibli likes this.
  12. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

Same. It's actually free with my yearly office subscription. No hiccups and convenient.

13. oj88

^ +1

My work O365 E5 account currently has a 1TB OneDrive for Business allocation. Another 4TB (for a total of 5TB) can be unlocked by the admin if I ask for it.

And then, if you reach 90% of 5TB, the admin can create a support ticket with Microsoft to unlock an addition 20TB (25TB total) for free. Beyond that, and if you reach 90% of 25TB, you'll be given credit for an additional 25TB as a Sharepoint team site.

I think that a combined 50TB of "free" (ie. company-paid) cloud storage ought to be enough for 99% of the population.

14. cyberathlete

cyberathlete PhilMUG Addict Member

I store all my personal files in OneDrive (as part of my Office 365 license), and all my work files in the company Google Drive as part of GSuite. My documents folder on my mac is virtually empty. No problems with either service.