Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

*Sorry if this has been answered earlier, I feel like I posted this question somewhere, but I can't find my post.

Anyone who uses a Smart Universal IR Controller?

Thinking of purchasing one to control non Smart devices in my living room.

[​IMG]

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Go for it. They're cheap anyway.

FWIW, I use a Broadlink RM Pro. One advantage with the RM Pro is that it can also control RF devices.

However, the secret sauce is in these devices' respective cloud and app implementations.

3. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

im planning to set up some smart bulbs on my home...
    any ideal budgeted smart bulb brand recommendation?

regarding wattage, for example, does the brightness or lumens of a regular 10w bulb is the same as the brightness of a 10w smart bulb?

any ideal watts of smart bulb to used?

4. oj88

Yeelight. Specifically the Gen 2 (white body) over the Gen 1 (silver/grey body).

Generally, smart LED bulbs aren't quite as bright as standard LED bulbs, Watt for Watt. I'd say, a smart bulb would be anywhere between 10-20% dimmer than an ordinary LED for the same wattage. This is because smart bulbs have internal circuitry that takes up some of those Wattage.

This could go a lot deeper but suffice to say, smart LEDs are typically less efficient compared to ordinary LEDs.

Depends on your needs.

Dgame12345 likes this.
  5. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

tnx for the inputs...

how about fcmila smart bulb? hows the quality of it?
    any reviews on it? i saw on shopee price is affordable..

6. oj88

No experience with them but online reviews describes them as bad at producing colors. In other words, quite dim and the colors are dull.

My experience with cheap/generic smart bulbs (not saying that this brand is) is that, they tend to overheat if you leave them at 90-100% brightness for too long. When it gets too hot, they'll turn off automatically and once cooled down after a few seconds, will light up again. However, if you still leave it at high brightness, it will shutdown again a few seconds later... and the cycle continues until you've set it to a lower brightness.

Seeing that they're quite cheap, you can always get one or two to test it out yourself. However, I never use smart bulbs for my main lights. I use them for mood lights or for ornamental purposes (ie. corner lights, lamp shades, etc.)

7. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

how about the one you recommended, yeelight?
    Is that a good and affordable smart bulb?
    Have you tried that personaly?

cause i just read on the review that it also supports apple homekit.

8. snipes

snipes Active Member

I'm being pedantic but are smart devices really an "investment"?

I question the premise of the topic title.

An investment to me appreciates in value over time.

So If I were to buy a smart bulb at $10 it should be able to hold it's $10 value or even double it after a year.

Or if it the smart device creates positive revenue in its use.

Perhaps the use of "Anyone starting buying into Smart home devices" be more accurate?

9. oj88

Affordability is subjective. They're around P800+ each on Shopee or Lazada. I only have one Yeelight and maybe six generic ones. The Yeelight is brighter and does not overheat, even at 100% brightness.

But again, I don't use them as main lights. I use ordinary LED bulbs with smart light switches. The smart RGBW bulbs are only used as mood lights.

If you want to split hairs...

"Invest - devote (one's time, effort, or energy) to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result."

I deployed smart home devices and I am now enjoying their perks.

Silentwill and potpot2 like this.
  10. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

I just recently purchase a smart plug (dohome brand), is it ok to leave the smart plug on 24/7?

11. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

I have this on my electric fan. No issues so far except for a random no response when using homekit (tbh though that could be more due to erratic WiFi connection.)

Thing I don't like about it is that we have two ISPs at home and sometimes I switch my Homekit devices from one WiFi to another due to said erratic connection and this one, unlike my bulb from same brand would not work when I do that and would go to "remote" status. I have to reconfigure for it to work again.

12. oj88

They're meant to be plugged-in, 24x7. How else can you control it remotely when it's unplugged? ;)

I only unplug non-essential smart plugs (for fans, entertainment system, etc.) when we go out on a vacation with nobody home.

13. textguru

textguru Active Member

depends on your objective. For me, YES, if I am at home, like during Christmas season, I schedule Christmas light to open and close automatically

14. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

thanks for your opinion, how to setup apple homekit when you are away at home?
    cause this smart plug when i am away i cant use it to turn on / off the switch.. it needs to be on the same wifi network...
    so any idea on how to use it even if you are not a home?

cause im also planning to get a smart bulb which support homekit too

15. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

You need to have a Home hub to be able to control accessories while away. Choices are Homepods, including minis, Apple TVs or iPads. For me homepods are the best to use as hub, and iPads are not very ideal because you need to have it at home, on and plugged in at all times for your homekit to be accessible.

16. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

ah ok..
    actualy i have an apple tv 4k.. is it ideal to turn on and just on sleep mode 24/7 my apple tv?

is the apple tv built for 24/7?

17. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

When you turn it off, it just goes to sleep mode. Unless you turn off the socket as well. I don't use my ATV as main hub but I always have it plugged in on an active socket so I can easily wake it up using my Homepod minis one of which is my main hub.

18. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

Any suggestions for Smart Light Switch? Current available Smart bulb are not bright enough for my Taste. I’ve tried the Yeelight and DoHome Smart bulbs.

19. oj88

You have several choices but I've only used the following at home.

1. Broadlink - Requires an RM Pro hub but does not need a Neutral wire
    2. Tuya/Smart Life and compatible products - Connects directly via 2.4GHz WiFi and may or may not require a Neutral wire, depending on the specific product
    3. eWelink and compatible products - Connects directly via 2.4GHz WiFi and may or may not require a Neutral wire, depending on the specific product

There's also switches that are Zigbee-compatible from these manufacturers, but I've never tried them.

20. textguru

textguru Active Member

Yeelight seems ok and Homekit compatible. I dont mind of using Smart Light Switch which makes it complicated if you are not an electrical techie