Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. textguru

textguru Active Member

2. textguru

textguru Active Member

Just received 2nd Gen Google Home Mini (AKA Nest Mini). Trying to speak so it can learn my voice. Is there any compiled list of Philippines applicable feature? I believe not all published features are available in our country.

3. Wilfred John Vergara

Anyone subscribed to Ring's Protect Plans which cost $3/month for Basic 60 days Video Recording? Just wondering if this will work in the Philippines.

#703 Wilfred John Vergara, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Sunil_K likes this.
  5. Wilfred John Vergara

My main concern sir with Wireless Doorbell is the connection issues since i am planning a Gate Installation. Ring offers a Power-over-ethernet Doorbell which can theoretically work even as far as 100m from the front door.

I contacted Ring and they confirmed that Cloud Services is not yet available in the Philippines and one of the agents said it might work if i use a US Address.

6. raypin

Mm...if it fails, workaround. Install an inexpensive wireless and battery powered door bell. Install a wireless/battery powered Blink XT2 (they are weather-proof). So, if someone rings you, you can live view them thru the Blink.

If petty theft is not an issue outside your gate, you can install both, side by side.

Sunil_K likes this.
  7. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's hard not to love this company.

8. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Have you found one? Am looking at digital door locks for my main door As well. Any recos anyone? My requirements would be , accessible via fingerprint, pin code and echanical key. WiFi via app is a big plus.

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

10. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi, anybody knows where I can get a receiver that I can install for my Hunter ceiling fan? Ours is a Seville and doesn't come with a remote. I would like to control it using Amazon Alexa/Google Home. The accessory that they sell is 110 volts so I couldn't use it here. Thank you!

11. raypin

Mm...smart plug with wifi and alexa. Seen some in lazada.

12. oj88

Do you have access to the wiring diagram for your ceiling fan?

Lookup Tuya/SmartLife ceiling fan switch on Shopee and Lazada. The switch comes in either just the fan control or includes a light switch (for combination ceiling fan+lamp units).

Fan Only:
    [​IMG]
    Fan with Lamp combo:
    [​IMG]

Do some more research on how to wire it. If in doubt, ask a professional to do it.

Sample wiring diagram:
    [​IMG]

13. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Thanks! Not familiar with our wiring diagram at home. But I was told that we don't have the Neutral Wire.

Also, not all of our ceiling fan has its own switch, some are part of a 3-gang switch.

I was hoping of find a receiver that can be attached to the body of the ceiling fan itself and then control the fan remotely through an app.

14. oj88

Are you saying that your fans only have simple on/off switches? No speed control?

If all you need is to turn it on or off with a fixed speed, use a Sonoff Basic smart switch tucked in where the fan is and you leave the wall switch turned on.

Personally, I would figure out a way to have a neutral wire available at that particular light switch so I can replace it with a smart one and have better control of the ceiling fan's speed (via the wall switch or app).

Another option is to use a Sonoff ceiling fan controller... this allows you to change the speed through the app, but not physically on the switch.
    https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy-smart-switches/ifan03

15. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Good morning! It does have speed control but from the ceiling fan itself (a pull cord).

The link you sent is very similar to the one they have at Hunter's website. I bought a few before but they were rated at 110v. I'll read into the one of Sonoff further.

Thank you so much!

16. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

17. psych0fr3ak

psych0fr3ak Member

Now our Google Home Hub’s screen is now useless :cry: our only controller for smart bulbs and devices. It suddenly turned into just like this
    5ED47256-22AC-492F-B461-BFF6FEC111C9.jpeg
    Can we have this fixed here in PH?

18. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

It's voice-controlled, right?

19. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

I have the aqara n100. And it works great and even homekit certified.

fingerprint, nfc, key, pin

20. psych0fr3ak

psych0fr3ak Member

Yes, google assistant still can be used since it's voice controlled. But the screen is useless for some like streaming ip cams and choosing colors for the smart bulbs.