Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

I've immersed myself in the smart home tech about a year ago but I approached it rather conservatively. I focused on our use cases--making better/easier the way we do things around the house.

Instead of smart bulbs, I used regular LED bulbs for our lamps connected via smart plugs. It's so helpful not having to manually turn on/off lamps one at a time. Creating routines and having Alexa is heaven sent. I find smart bulbs too expensive and cannot wrap my head around having to replace it when it reaches EOL or even worse, breaks down prematurely. Perhaps, I may consider using these mainstream when prices goes down and quality goes up. For now, I will be installing a smart bulb in my office desk lamp. It would be very nice to control light temperature and brightness depending on time of day and what I am doing.

I see my smart home project being a constant work in progress. It's been one pet project at a time. Works for us.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

One would be forgiven to automatically assume that the smart home craze only started recently. But really, it began way back over 40 years ago, in the mid-70’s. Granted, they weren’t what they are today and were generally crude compared to the the modern concept of the smart home.

Back in the day, I can only read about smart home devices from electronics magazines. They prominently feature various devices that used the X10 protocol to control devices using your home’s power lines. But as it was developed in the US, it will only work on 120V AC systems.

The earliest I ever got to starting my smart home was in 1996, while in HK, I bought an 8-channel “dry-contact” relay board that can be controlled via a PC’s Centronics (parallel/printer) port. It came with a floppy disk with the API, drivers, and applications to support both DOS and Windows 3.x/95. It never really left the prototype stage as wiring it to my home was just too much work and expensive. But even if I can afford it, there’s nothing available in the market that I can use for my specific application (ie. Actuators, solenoids, etc.). The most I can do is use the Windows app to automate (via scheduling) lights and certain appliances.

LGR has a neat video about the X10 in one of his episodes. It briefly discussed its history, integration with the PC, along with an early implementation of voice control. It’s really a good watch. It puts into perspective how much smart home and AI digital assistants in general have progressed.

yoh_hectic likes this.
  3. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

I like his video on cracking open old hardware and clean them out.

4. Yagbolz

Yagbolz Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on what to purchase first? Trying to fill my home with smart stuff.

5. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Lights would be a good place to start.

6. oj88

I agree. You can do lights as well as plugs for the frequently-used "simple" appliances like fans, water dispensers, lamps, or even basic A/Cs

By simple, it means that the appliance can be turned on and off safely from the plug. Some appliances like TVs, split-type A/Cs, or fans that uses an electronic control method, may not work properly with smart plugs. These will require a slightly more elaborate way to control them, using IR signals that mimics the respective devices' remotes.

7. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Do you guys know of any digital lock suitable for a sliding door?
    I can’t seem to find any

8. Yagbolz

Do you have any suggestions? Brand of light to buy?

9. oj88

Yeelight would be my first choice. They don't require a hub and it kinda sits between the cheap generic smart bulbs and Philips HUE. There are currently two versions afaik. The v1 (silver base) is slightly cheaper than the v2 (white base) by about P100-200. However, the v2 is 200 Lumens brighter and by all accounts, is also more efficient (whether operating or in standby). You can't go wrong either way.

I only have experience with the v1.

Would you have a picture of the current lock? If it can be operated similar to how you work a deadbolt, there might be a smart lock that will fit.

10. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

My approach to my smart lighting is via smart plugs. I connected my lamps via TP-Link Smart Plugs and control using Alexa and have regular Philips LED bulbs installed. I have neither the need to change the light intensity of my lamps nor the color, hence this set-up works for me. I am about to smartify my home office and I see I will be using Smart Bulbs. I am inclined to purchasing Yeelight bulbs.

Sunil_K likes this.
  11. potpot2

Deadbolt wont work. Deadbolt works only when the door closes and opens the conventional way, push pull. Sliding doors need a different kind of lock. I will be using it for a walk in closet. Thanks

12. oj88

I am aware that a deadbolt-type lock won't work on a sliding door. What I was saying however, is if the CURRENT lock on your sliding door has a knob that a smart lock can hook on to, it might work. That's why I was requesting for a picture.

Again, my assumption is that your sliding door already has a manual/conventional lock.

EDIT: I just realized that you're actually looking for a digital lock... not a smart lock, per se. I was too quick to assume it was the latter as my frame of mind got tied up with the thread topic.

#692 oj88, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    potpot2 likes this.
  13. textguru

textguru Active Member

Yeelight.

Been using it for ~3years already. Can integrate with Siri/Google/Alexa

14. textguru

textguru Active Member

Since you have XboxOne, you can also consider SmartPlug. Lazada have stuffs for these devices

15. potpot2

My lock now is this,

Attached Files:

16. Yagbolz

Where can I get them Yeelights?

17. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

Mi Store or Digital Walker.

18. oj88

^ The last time I checked, the Mi Stores only carries the v1 bulbs and they're selling it as much as the v2 bulb's street price. It's been several months so this may have changed since then.

Alternatively, the two popular online stores have the v2 for around P1k each. And if you're feeling lucky, there's someone on FB Marketplace that's selling the v2 for P800.

Choose your poison.

19. oj88

20. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

On top of lights, a simple and inexpensive RF or IR hub like the Broadlink RM Pro or RM Mini can do wonders for your non-smart appliances. It can make almost any non-smart appliance that you can control with a generic IR remote "smart". Broadlink is the inexpensive alternative to your Harmony Hub. Good luck :).