Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

The Apple HomeKit app can setup in the Apple TV as a hub for the rules for all supported devices. So as long as there’s a way to talk to your IoT devices it can be triggered depending on supported ‘triggers’. At Least it would need just need to control like toggle.

of course it helps even more if the RESUME is built in, but not totally unavailable.

2. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

I just wish these smart hubs or speakers can integrate all their strengths into one ultimate hub... my homepod is the best at picking up my voice, even at below normal volume when saying hey siri it is able to pick up my voice - but siri sucks at getting what i am actually saying and it ends up replying differently... it is fine with the basics but just not on par with google assistant and alexa. Speaking of google assistant, my nest home hub is not that good at picking up my voice in normal volume sometimes i have to go near it or say it louder than normal a huge difference compared to homepod... but the google assistant is great at recognizing what u are actually saying, you can even see it on screen that its first pickup of the words is wrong but magically translate it to what u actually said. its really nifty for those quick look ups of videos trivia etc... then there’s alexa, which sits at the middle, it has the best home integration for me and average enough in picking up my voice and actually getting what i meant... but for the basic questions or some simple look up for info on a tv show, movie, actors etc, google assistant still works best. Also with the echo show 8, the speaker is too bassy, the Nest hub is too thin sounding, while homepod sounds best, not even my sonos one gen 2 could compete with it, especially when i pair them in stereo mode. So there, all three co-exist for now on my system as they have their own forte but no all in one device for now, maybe in a couple of years... still hoping apple gets a breakthrough, cause the homepod sounds so good. I did connect alexa via echo input to my stereo receiver but it seems overkill naman having alexa respond on those two bookshelf speakers for simple answers hehe

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You can run a routine, say, based on time of day, that will switch off all of your lights. It can be at 2am or any time during the wee hours in which nobody would likely be awake (and using any of the lights). It's not perfect but at least it won't leave the lights burning for more than 24hrs, worst case.

4. oj88

A setup worthy of John Wick...

porkypork, raypin and EX3 like this.
  5. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Loving the Google Home Mini ü

It controls switches on/off lights, play specific You Tube Music, play You Tube videos from Mi Box S to our TV, suggest best route in traffic on the way to work, answer Google searches, answer call from other Duo numbers....

All by just using voice commands and just P1,500 price tag :)

IMG_20200123_124052.jpg

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...eh paano kung magka power interruption? Alexa.....alexa.....ALEXA!! P.i. neto kelangan ko baril. :notworthy::ROFLMAO:

7. oj88

Lol! True.

Simple lang sagot. Have you heard of a UPS? I believe you have one in your data rack. :D

8. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

^^^
    Tapos sumagot Yung intruder, "Alexa, cancel that!".

Or

Alexa, I need guns.
    Hmmm, "Playing Gun's N Roses".

#668 Juice, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    extremeshot and raypin like this.
  9. oj88

Super Bowl 2020 ad...

extremeshot, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  10. aocaoc

aocaoc Member

Hi, how can you answer calls using Google Home?

11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Same as Siri, but you’ll have to sync contacts with Google Assistant to allow it to make and answer calls. Activate your speaker phone for hands-free calling and answering. I haven’t tried making calls using the keypad function, maybe because Google Home needs to “learn more”.

12. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Just tap the side of the Google Home Mini speaker to answer

13. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Or something more basic like a minor connectivity interruption. Nothing is more annoying than Alexa saying "I'm having trouble understanding right now" (i.e. no internet connection) when all you are asking her to do is turn off a freaking light bulb. Perhaps they should work on an offline mode or something.

On the topic of smart light bulbs, let me answer my own question. So my Sengled hub + bulbs arrived last week and they work perfectly (whew!). The hub comes with an auto-volt power adapter (110-240v) while the bulbs..... well, they work. I just hope they last long enough to justify the cost. For anyone interested, the Sengled hub + 2 dimmable warm bulbs cost me P1,884 including shipping -> bought from Amazon and shipped directly to PH. Not bad considering one hub can control up to 50 bulbs.

raypin likes this.
  14. oj88

You can explore offline smart home solutions but they're typically not for the faint of heart. Think buzz words like OpenHAB, Home Assistant/Hass.io, Tasmota, MQTT, etc.

Most everything runs on the cloud. That's mainly the reason how something as complex as an AI digital assistant can understand your spoken commands and control your smart home device without you having to set up any back-end servers and whatnot. But it does mean that you need to have a reliable internet connection.... a small price if you want all the perks without much of the hard work. And in case the internet fails me, all of my smart devices can still be controlled conventionally (ie. Light switches, IR/RF remotes, etc.) It's a nuisance, but hardly the end of the world.

extremeshot and raypin like this.
  15. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh, as for the conventional controls, yes, they are always there. Just weird how once you get used to voice commands, you (or at least I am, for sure) become lazy and reaching for that conventional switch/remote becomes a nuisance. Still hoping for a few offline commands to work (if it's not too much to ask LOL) in the future because let's face it, these smart devices are here to stay and no one can guarantee the internet's uptime.

#675 extremeshot, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  16. oj88

Heck, yes. Once you've tried it, you'll be hooked. I sometimes catch myself asking Alexa to turn on the lights.... when I'm already standing 2 feet from the switch.

It's the future. lol

17. mosaka

mosaka Active Member

I bought a pair of colored Sengled Bulbs with Hub on Amazon but both bulbs died on their own in less than a month. Ordered replacement for them and they also died within 2 weeks. Ended up returning them and getting a refund.

I ordered Yeelight locally thru Lazada with 1 year warranty. So far so good.

hitme64 likes this.
  18. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^They may actually last a little longer, say 5-6 months, before they die on you. I’ve changed mine twice already and even if I had wanted to embrace smart tech I needed to go basics again for my sanity, and pocket money, so I replaced them one final time with regular LED. It’s been there for a year now.

Look, smart tech is super great. It’s more than just clapping your hands or asking smart assistants to do your bidding. It becomes a lifestyle. I get it. What I don’t get is it’s not that perfect, it breaks down, it messes up its schedules, it’s so damn expensive, and it can be a perfect target for hackers (light bulbs being their most favorite). Besides, nothing is simpler than pushing the switch to light the home or using a key to open the house. Simple and basic. But don’t tell Alexa or Google about it. She apologizes too much if she can’t do it.

19. oj88

They probably sent you the US version (120V).

20. oj88

Regular LEDs on smart switches is as robust as it can be. You get the best of both worlds. Though, you lose color (RGB) and brightness control, which is fine if you just need fixed-brightness and fixed-color room lights.

I’ve foreseen issues with using smart bulbs and even though I do have them, they’re in limited quantity relegated to ambient/decorative lighting.

But i hear you. It’s not for everyone. Takes quite a bit of research and planning. Some just have too much time on their hands.... present company included.