Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

any recommendations for an outdoor smart lock?

2. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Decided to order schlage encode. Since no need for additional hub.
    Hope i wont regret it.
    I saw a review that says the problem with the encode is there is no sensor for it to know it the door is actually close so it will auto unlock even if the door is ajar.so on the app it will also tell you that the door is closed and locked

3. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

Anyone knows where my parents can buy a wyze cam in Metro Manila? Thank you.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Still cheaper to buy them online if you know someone who is coming home from the States. Especially true if you're buying several units.

But if you're hell bent on getting one now, Shopee has them for roughly twice the online cost.

Be wary that some people, whether mistakenly or intentionally, marketing them as "Wyze" but are in reality are branded as Xiaomi. They're not the same.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Heard some hacker took 2 minutes to disengage the locks off a Xiaomi Smart Lock and replaced the pin code thereby locking out the occupants of a condominium. Hmmm...

potpot2 likes this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

7. hitme64

Because it’s much easier nowadays to hack “smart” devices, wouldn’t it be safer to return to basics?

Sunil_K likes this.
  8. textguru

textguru Active Member

My 1st Yeelight is running to 3rd year now. added 2 more to automate light switch even when we are out. Am happy for it as it integrates to Siri and Google.

9. oj88

We use computers and connect to the internet everyday, if not constantly, and if history is our witness, it has let us down plenty of times by being infected with viruses or our online credentials getting leaked or hacked. But that doesn't mean we'd stop using them anytime soon.

Threats will always be ever present and security will just have to keep up.

No passwords were leaked so password changes are not mandatory, but not a bad idea either. As a precaution, Wyze also forced all API tokens to be refreshed. That means, integration with Alexa, Google Home, and IFTTT needs to be re-linked (so it can generate a new token). It's a two-minute job to mitigate any further attacks.

#649 oj88, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    raypin likes this.
  10. raypin

Mm...yup change password regularly. I use randomized 16 digit passwords unique for each system.

Even Ring cameras (an Amazon company) have been hacked, giving access to hundreds of people to livestreaming feeds. Disgusting. The threat is REAL:

11. oj88

Sadly, hacked Ring users were victims of their own doing.... reusing their compromised user accounts and passwords. On the other hand, Ring/Amazon should force their users to enable 2FA.

raypin likes this.
  12. raypin

Mm...I was wondering about it. How can the hackers get access to RING user names and passwords? It is supposed to be stored in Amazon Web Service (AWS) servers, the world's leading cloud service and encrypted with industry-best 256 bit security. When a subscriber accesses the service, the connection is likewise encrypted (https protocol).....so there is end-to-end encryption. So, where is the weakness aside from well-known phishing attacks?

I don't understand.

This is much worse than somebody reading your emails. Complete strangers get to watch you and your family inside your home.

I m not a Ring subscriber but I ve created Google Alert for the two services I use for my cctv. Just in case.....

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. oj88

If your account has, in one way or another, been compromised previously, hackers can use information from that (username and password) to login to your other online services, including Ring. With millions of compromised accounts, they're bound to get lucky.

You can check if your email (that you've used as username) has ever been compromised by using this site: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Sunil_K, CloudJedi and raypin like this.
  14. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi. I realize I'm responding to a 2.5yr old post but I guess it's kinda perfect for my question. How did your 120v Philips Hue bulbs hold up through the years? Well I don't have Hue bulbs but made a mistake of buying Sengled Smart bulbs (also rated 120v) when I was in the US a year ago not realizing that 1) It requires a hub to work and 2) it's rated at 120v. I stumbled upon these unused bulbs last month while doing some cleaning and decided to order more bulbs and this time with a hub from Amazon US so I can use them with my smart home setup (doooopeee! I made the same 2 mistakes again <face-palm>). So I have a couple of questions.

1. The bulbs I have on-hand atm worked when I inserted them to a PH light bulb socket (minus the smart features of course, until the hub arrives) but am worried whether it will last or not and more importantly, is it safe?
    2. Anyone here using Sengled bulbs in the PH or any 220v country?

Thanks!!!

#654 extremeshot, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ It lasted well enough until I moved to a new house where both my two bulbs broke due to the bad voltage supply - think 140V to 220V. So I guess it worked fine but not resilient to that...I think no electrical devices can, except most of my other gadgets have surge protection

extremeshot likes this.
  16. hitme64

Smart bulbs may be cool but are more of a hassle to me actually. I returned to my condo on a weekend and found all my smart bulbs open with one of them blinking already despite a schedule set up for them to open. That would mean they were open the entire week I was gone. This happened twice already so I changed the bulbs with regular LED ones instead. So much for being a pain in the ass.

17. oj88

This is one of a few annoyances of many smart bulbs. I don't know why haven't they included a setting that allows you to set the power-on state.

Some eWelink products do support changing the power-on state. It can be ON, OFF, or RESUME. (https://help.ewelink.cc/hc/en-us/articles/360005110931-Power-on-state-)

ON or OFF - When power returns, the device is turned ON or OFF (depending on your settings) regardless of its previous state before the power interruption
    RESUME - It remembers the state it was in before the power interruption and goes back to that state when power comes back

There are smart bulbs that integrates with eWelink but I don't know if they support power-on state. I only have SmartLife and Magic Home smart bulbs and neither supports the feature.

I only have a few smart bulbs and most of my lights are controlled using a smart wall switch (non-WIFi). They don't revert to ON when power returns. But for the smart bulbs, I have cameras at home and by just checking it out every so often, I should be able to see if anything is turned on when it should be off.

18. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok. I already bought them (waiting for the hub and other bulbs to be delivered) so I guess I might as well use them. If they break, they break. Thanks.

Yup, it gets quite annoying when your "smart" things are being dumb (i.e. not working as expected). There are stuff that these things do though that are just so darn convenient that I'd be willing to live with the annoyances. Being able to control the AC while I'm groggy/sleepy or waking up to freshly brewed coffee is just priceless.

bacchus_3 and hitme64 like this.
  19. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

It helps if you setup your smart home rules to turn off lights at certain time so you’d at least be able to compensate for power interruptions. I think the RESUME functions can only be managed by a hub like an Apple TV, Alexa, Dot, etc but you have to setup those rules. It doesn’t cover all scenarios though - you may have already set this up but they just DUMBed on you :D

20. oj88

It doesn't necessarily require a hub. It is there or not by design.

Here's the settings page for a smart plug from the eWelink app. You can only set it up individually on every smart device, assuming it is supported.

[​IMG]