Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. EX3

EX3 Member

Check out https://moodo.co they have a smart diffuser that lets you control the amount of oil to be dispensed and they have 4 scents in each diffuser. I saw this at Nifty store in Megamall, price is 9K+ for the unit and 4k+ for the set of oils. I was tempted to get one but chickened out heheh
    BTW I am a fan of your smart tips!

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I love smart devices but I'm also cheap. :D

Diffusers are a great add-on for any home but spending 13-14k for it? It would be hard to get the Mrs. to sign off on that when a 1.3k unit can do 85% of what the Bugatti version can.

I started this path keeping in mind that I will try my best to keep costs way down. That means, none of that Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, et at stuff. I would only use off-brand products that can pretty much do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.... well, except for the Amazon Echo devices.

Thank you. I'm flattered.

EX3 and Sunil_K like this.
  3. oj88

^ UPDATE:

Sonoff apparently released a new single-wire (neutral-less) wall switch called the T4. However, it's still not widely available and if they are, it seems to only come in the EU/UK (square) plate.

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Made a contribution to Indiegogo for this smart camera, the NOIR: Discreet Camera System and USB Charger. Just like an ordinary USB wall charger but has within a 1080p camera that is viewable in real-time HD streaming on our phones or computers.
    0F59B8C8-1217-4F72-B1C6-AB35D8D31357.png

5. oj88

Not to rain on your parade but, I see a couple of problems with this product:
    1. The lens field of view (FOV) or angle of view is just 75 degrees, which is sort of more like zoomed in than it is wide angle for a CCTV camera. If you plug it in a kitchen counter outlet, I doubt if it can even see the counter. Typical interior CCTVs would have a 90-130 degrees of viewing angle
    2. The camera, being built into a charger, has obviously no articulation. You're stuck with whatever angle your power outlets are pointed at

Putting these two issues together, it's not going to be flexible with mounting compared to a traditional WiFi camera. Just take these into consideration.

Check out the simulator below and use your mouse wheel (or slider) to set the viewing angle to 75 degrees to find out how much of the image will be cropped off. Compare it to the average CCTV lens of 110 degrees (114 degrees is as wide as the simulator can go).

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

6. hitme64

^Well, this is a condo where there is only one field of view. There’s only one place for the camera to zoom into and that’s the main door. Nobody’s home all the time except at night so it’s in the daytime where most of the viewing will be done. And most of all, if ever someone would ever sneak in, he would not notice the camera-charger as being there. It’s a simple cost-free solution that has no wires, no hassle, no foreseeable issues.

7. oj88

Well, I didn’t know you’re getting it for free. In which case, a camera is better than no camera.

hitme64 likes this.
  8. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Its been a while since i checked in this thread seems like more items to buy haha... I just recently upgraded our aging aircon to take advantage of smart connection, feels great just need to order alexa to turn it on/off and other stuff...
    The smart diffuser is perfect i really need one and to find out i can connect it to alexa will be a great add on will surely buy one...

one other thing I’m eyeing is a smart lock, will not be our main lock will just act as additional lock, any budget friendly ones out there? Thanks un advance :)

Sunil_K and potpot2 like this.
  9. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

How about https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-BE479-CEN-619-Deadbolt/dp/B00YUPDUYE/ ?

shootertwist likes this.
  10. oj88

IMO, if you have mechanical locks in addition to the smart lock, having a smart lock in the first place becomes moot.

Obviously, the idea of a smart lock is for your to be able to remotely lock or unlock the door, either manually, through automation, or following a schedule. If you still need a physical key to open the same door, that kinda defeats the convenience of a smart lock doesn't it?

If you think that your environment is not safe enough to rely totally on a smart lock, then the smart lock is not for you.

Although, I can think of at least one situation where a mechanical key lock + smart lock tandem can be beneficial. But it's a very specific situation.

bacchus_3 and hitme64 like this.
  11. hitme64

Besides having two physical locks on the main door as is usually the norm is more than enough already, this the advice of the smart lock installer when he saw my door configuration.

12. shootertwist

Slightly off topic but i figured i’d ask guys here in this thread who are for sure very knowledgeable, where can u buy locally one of those usb, or particularly usb c voltage meters? I see these being used by those who test their chargers or powerbanks on youtube and wondering where to get one ... thanks in advance... if not locally maybe its available on amazon? Thanks!

13. oj88

Lazada or Shopee has plenty to offer.

shootertwist likes this.
  14. shootertwist

My smart diffuser has arrived... finally i get to tell alexa to on/off the unit and even change the color of the light hehe

FE5583CE-9552-4A18-96CC-0DD487888018.jpeg

hitme64 and Sunil_K like this.
  15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

16. hitme64

^I'll be thrilled if Alexa finally answers me in Pilipino, and then I'll know it's been hacked. For Google Home though, I actually shut it down when we go out and reopen it again when we come back, using a smart plug accessed thru the app from the iPhone.

17. oj88

Just to be clear, the ring LED (Amazon Echo devices) will be lit while it is transcribing/listening, which is a dead giveaway.

And just as with every app out there, be careful what you use and remove it immediately if acts funny... or if it asks for anything out of the ordinary.

Sunil_K likes this.
  18. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

oj88 likes this.
  19. oj88

That'll be a bummer if you bought your GH or GHM from abroad.

My Mini is gathering dust right now and after reading this, I'm reluctant to power it up anytime soon in the off chance that it pulls the defective firmware (even though they say they've fixed it).

20. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

We have 2 home minis and they are working perfectly