Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

Nifty store in @ 4F Near Cyberzone, SM Megamall in now open.

They have a lot of home automation products available and there is a demo area.

From smart bulbs, plugs, curtain, light switches, vacuum cleaner, doorbell, etc.

They are also selling FLEX Automation.

This is first in Philippines.

potpot2 likes this.
  2. Joemer

Joemer Member

@maccrancis. Whats the name if the store.po?

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

@darkgreen, how is this working for you?

I just ordered a cheaper one that is also SmartLife/Alexa compatible. I don't know what I'm getting into but whatever happens, I'd be sure to give some feedback.

What would be a cheap but quality essential oil brand?

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just now the Yeelight conked out on us at our condo. No power, no connection, no dice at all. Looks like it’s almost one year unimpeded service came to an end.

I have another Yeelight that is still working but for how long am not sure now. Maybe I should’ve gotten Philips Hue instead. That 5-year warranty is a guarantee I don’t need to change every tear.

5. oj88

They’ve been very reliable for us. We’ve got about half a dozen Gen1 Yeelights here almost coming up on their 2nd year and all are still working.

You’re probably just unlucky to have received a dud. But it’s hardly a sign that they’re prone to failure.

6. hitme64

I never said they’re prone to failure; I said they stopped working.

And since there is no Mi Service Center to go to and have it seen, there’s no way of knowing what went wrong. That’s just it.

7. oj88

Sorry if I misunderstood, but your 2nd paragraph seems to imply your loss of confidence to the brand (having to replace it every year or so). Just saying that what happened to your Yeelight doesn’t happen quite that often, at least based on our firsthand experience.

Just to be clear, I don’t work for or in any way, shape, or form, benefit from the sale of Yeelights. I only have one Yeelight myself. The rest are owned by my brother which lives within the same compound.

8. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

if it was bought locally (Official mi store) then there is warranty. dont know for how long though. But most probably its 1 year.

9. oj88

The smart diffuser I ordered arrived today. It costs a little over 1,300... pretty much the cheapest I can find.

[​IMG]

The app UI is typical of Smart Life and so, it also has Alexa integration. With that, I can add it to an Alexa routine.... like turning on 30 minutes before my alarm sounds off and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juice likes this.
  10. Joemer

Joemer Member

Hi sir oj88,

Pa share naman po ng link po ng smart diffuser.. thanks po in advance.

11. oj88

potpot2 likes this.
  12. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

potpot2 and Sunil_K like this.
  13. oj88

I'll drink to that. About the only thing that needs automating is the water-pouring and the oil dripping.... then it's perfect!

I had it installed about a foot or so away from the corner wall. I may need to move it near the center of the living room so that the aroma can circulate better. Any other tips you might want to share?

14. hitme64

Finally got the Smart Toilet working wirelessly. And accessible via Google Home and Alexa!

Now I can torment my wife by wirelessly spraying her with cold water instead of warm, or adjust water pressure, or flush the toilet with a breathe of deodorizer smell, which she hates ;)

zagu and Sunil_K like this.
  15. oj88

Haha.. Just keep an eye on her. If you see her bringing a hammer to the toilet, the gig is up. :D

hitme64 likes this.
  16. ramil

ramil Active Member

I am also considering getting this smart diffuser. I actually recommended this to my wife. Just wondering, if I'll manually put the oil and water anyway, what advantage will the smart diffuser have over the ordinary ones? Thanks.

17. oj88

Frankly... I am just a big IoT buff and it irks me to no end if I am unable to control something using an app or my voice. The biggest downside is that you still need to add water and oil, as well as clean it every now and then.

But as to the fun part, you just need a little imagination. For the most simplest of things, you can turn it on/off, set the mist strength low or high, and turn on/off or change the colors on the LED mood lights without having to get up from the couch or bed. 2nd, you can use Alexa Routines to set a timer when to turn it on/off at a specified time.

A lot more creative tricks can be unlocked using IFTTT. Off the bat, I can set it up so that the diffuser turns itself off whenever I leave the house (or turn it on when I arrive), using geo-fencing. Or maybe turn it on/off at sunrise/sunset, or whenever the motion sensors in my living room are triggered, etc. The possibilities are quite extensive.

But again, pouring water and adding oil is still a manual chore, unfortunately. I think that permanently running a water hose from the kitchen to the diffuser might upset the Mrs. :D

ramil and potpot2 like this.
  18. Joemer

Joemer Member

19. w00ch

w00ch New Member

Aside from broadlink, is there any trusted and locally available smart switch? I am not a fan of hubs and our helpers are so nice, they keep on turning off outdoor lights in the morning ^_^ tia

20. oj88

Sonoff would be a good brand. But as a wall switch, they require a Neutral wire. In other words, hope that your house wiring has provisions for a 220V (both wires) supply behind your current wall switch. Otherwise, all WiFi smart switches, including Sonoff, won't work.

That's about the main advantage of Broadlink. It doesn't require a Neutral wire. It works as a direct replacement of your current mechanical wall switch.

w00ch likes this.