Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Dead and buried actually. One for me but am not getting another nor the Pro. Am more secured with the lock and key now.

2. textguru

textguru Active Member

From Google Home, add device and select Yeelight, login your Yeelight account and thats it...

3. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

to think august is one of the "best" in reviews... hmmm

4. hitme64

Used to, would be the operative word. Now they’re saying we’re better off with Yale or Schlage.

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm a victim of Wyze's success.... :D

7 new cameras in my arsenal.

[​IMG]

braindeadph and Sunil_K like this.
  6. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

This is similar to Xisofang

P899 here

7. oj88

Ermm, not quite.

Two words: Chinese servers

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

Who here are investing in HomeKit only solutions?

9. hitme64

Parts of Metro Manila went dark yesterday. A few condos on smart security locks opened their doors as a fail-safe. Can’t be locked inside when brownouts occur so smart locks like August and Yale automatically unlock during power failure. Now I know my neighbor uses one because we heard the clicking of their front door lock. And they weren’t home then. Tsk-tsk...one reason can’t rely on the smart lock when there’s even no wifi to remotely lock the door again when you’re not around.

Sunil_K likes this.
  10. oj88

Come to think of it, the August locks runs on batteries. The hub may be powered from mains but, is that a confirmed behavior for August locks when power goes out?

I would’ve thought that these locks will just stop working, but can still be manually locked or unlock inside or using a key outside.

I might have to read the specs.

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  11. hitme64

I think it was triggered when power went out and wifi shut down. The owner was away and figured in must be in some setting that opened his lock. When power restored a few minutes later, it locked up again.

We both got the same August lock and had it installed but mine didn’t trigger that way. But I’ve actually disengaged my smart lock for the meantime until tech can figure out why it “dies” sometimes and it isn’t because of power disruption. I’m figuring it’s a wireless connection issue. For a product so expensive I was hoping it was more stable but it’s not.

Update: The company that installed and configured our August locks will recall mine and probably my neighbor’s and exchange them with “newer released” locks. About time.

Sunil_K and ronjet like this.
  12. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh! I didn’t know this. I’m intrigued (sales talked) and considering on buying one of those Yale’s smart lock that’s on sale at True Value. Does it have a backup key chamber so that during a power failure, you’ll have second option to use a backup key instead of it to just automatically disengage. But then doing so, your system isn’t keyless, is it? At least you’ll have your hail mary shot.

13. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

While fail safe is a good option, it should be configurable (at least have the option for fail secure). I have an August Smart Lock (2nd gen) but did not connect it to WiFi, used its BT to connect to the  TV as hub. I have the Schlage as well, same thing - no WiFi. Power failure does not affect both of them.

14. hitme64

^I have the August Smart Lock Pro + Connect 3rd Gen. Tech is still figuring out what and why the connectivity issue is happening.

15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

16. oj88

17. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

what wifi device are you using? so far, no issue on our devices.

18. hitme64

They changed the lock. Breaking it in for a week.

19. EX3

EX3 Member

I have August Smart Lock Pro 3rd Gen with Connect, Nano Canvass lights and Mi colored Wifi bulbs running on HomePod. It's easy to setup HomeKit enabled devices since you just have to scan the HomeKit code included to install. Though the Xiaomi will just turn it on/off and not change colours. Experience with HomeKit is amazing and seamless also with my Apple Watch and of course iPhone. Moreover all settings are stored in my iCloud so no worries if I decide to change my phone.

I made a mistake on the Lutron Caseta switch though, didn't realise it was only for 120V. So if anyone is interested and has running 110V in their house just let me know, I'll sell it for a good price.

Next orders will be Smart Plugs.

oldtimer likes this.
  20. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

has anyone link their mi camera with echo show or fire tv? i was able to do it but with only one camera. I have 5 xiaomi cameras at home but im just able to link 1 of it to the echo show. Does anyone know how to add more? Thanks