Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

Just got Anker Innovations products @ Anker store SM Cyberzone, SM megamall today.

Eufy Robovac 35c @ P16,995
    Smart BULB @ P1,795
    Smart PLUG @ P1,695

[​IMG]

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Whoa! When money's no object. :D

3. loko__loko

loko__loko Well-Known Member

using Buddee, locally made.. from lazada

Dekra likes this.
  4. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

Go for AmbiClimate or sensibo available in Lazada. No need to buy smart plug for aircon. The problem with smart plug when there is a power surge it might destroy it.

5. oj88

^ Or Broadlink RM Pro / RM Mini3. They're even cheaper.

But I give it to Buddee for the power consumption reporting. Sonoff has an equivalent one that is 1/3 the cost of one Buddee... some assembly required. through.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sensibo is good. It's the price that isn't sensible.

Am on into electric bidets with wi-fi capabilities now. But the more I research, the more I find out that a small segment are on the seat's edge (pun) with electric bidets. For one, it still lacks the most important ingredient in washing our nethers: soap. Two, a push of the wrong button can either mean life or death of winkled sacks via heat. Three, what happens when Maynilad decides to interrupt water utilization at the moment of glorified cleaning? So back to tabo, but what if you haven't filled a bucket yet? So back to tissue wipes. Imagine the horror of going back three stages in development just to clean your butt.

7. loko__loko

are you selling these?

8. loko__loko

wow.. do they record how much to clean or

9. hitme64

That I am not aware of, but I am thinking they might be taking pictures of one's butts for posterior, I mean, posterity sake...

10. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

No. I am not related to them, I am just a customer.

11. textguru

textguru Active Member

I am using Yeelight and linked to Siri/Google to turn off/on, adjust brightness

12. oj88

I purchased a pair of Amazon Echo Buttons when they came out, hoping to explore the entertainment and fun side of Alexa. But after the novelty wore off, the Buttons ended up stored in a desk drawer where old and unused technology went to die. So, I spent 10 minutes with it and turned an innocent button to something that may one day, hopefully, save lives.

I made a “Panic Button” using an Amazon Echo Button

As this is a work in progress, for now, it does the following when activated:
    1. Turns on selected house lights (mostly exterior lighting and some interior lighting)
    2. A warning message is played on all my Echo devices (or play some heavy metal music, maybe?)*
    3. Waits one (1) minute then sounds an audible alarm from an alarm transducer/sounder** through a smart switch/plug
    4. Sends a message to my phone through the Alexa app
    5. Using IFTTT, it also sends an SMS message to my phone (for redundancy) and other members of the family living within the same compound (ie. "John's Panic button has been activated")
    Note:
    * For #1 and #2, we hope that this would scare off would-be intruders before the situation gets any more serious
    ** The alarm sounder is not yet installed, as is evident in the video. The 1-minute delay (not yet implemented) gives us time to cancel it in case it's a false alarm. Wouldn't want to unnecessarily wake up the whole neighborhood.

This can be modified for use by an elderly. You can put these buttons besides their bed, in the toilet, or other places where they may presumably require some assistance. All they have to do is press the button and wait for the cavalry!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hitme64 likes this.
  13. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone have this Alexa-enabled cordless landline?

It was released last June 9 and comes with a 100V - 230V AC charger

14. hitme64

The August Smart Lock is having issues with wireless connectivity lately that I had to inquire from their local reseller what the problem is. It’s important to determine the issue because how can you rely on a smart home lock that unlocks even without the pin code or connection from either wifi or Bluetooth. And they’ll be getting back at me. In the meantime, I returned the lock to analog mode. For a rather expensive piece of home smartness, it’s ironic it can’t be depended upon to protect your home.

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  15. oj88

Yikes! This is precisely why I haven't started using them. I've seen other issues, including a man-in-the-middle attack that allows strangers to unlock them.

Front doors should be a hard point in your home. You're right about the irony... if it fails, it should have a failsafe that defaults to a locked state and revert to manual operation.

raypin and hitme64 like this.
  16. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

how did you link this to google home? im trying to but i cant. for alexa its easy

17. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

is this serious? why is it happening? i just go august smart locks during the prime day. its coming within the next week.... yikes

18. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Your phone and device must be connected to the same router.

I was able to link our Mi Box S Android TV box and be able to do voice commands such open NetFlix ot turn off Mi Boxü

zagu likes this.
  19. loko__loko

been using august since its first released.. so far, 2 were "dead" have newer gen which is better.

20. oj88

[​IMG]

New play things... an Echo Show 5. The Echo Spot is now rightfully on my bedside table.

Haven’t been able to play with the Fire TV Stick, though.

Now, what do I do with the extra Show 5? Hmmm....

[​IMG]