Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

The plugs are working as intended. I use one for an outdoor light, one for the electric fan, one for the tv and for the digibox

porkypork likes this.
  2. 11Finger

11Finger Member

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

#363 raypin, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. 11Finger

11Finger Member

5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

6. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

One of the main disadvantage of smart bulbs (and smart light sockets for that matter) is that, you will have to keep the physical light switch turned on all the time so that the smart bulbs will have continuous 220V supply. If somebody should accidentally or deliberately turn off the switch, you will no longer be able to turn on the smart bulb through the app or Alexa/Google Assistant.

The method I used to prevent this from happening is to put a label on it that keeps it always switched on. To a certain degree, the sticker will also resist someone feeling for the other switches in the dark from switching it off accidentally. The sticker, being non-permanent, still makes manual override possible in an emergency.

I admit, I should've been more creative with the labeler. :D

[​IMG]

I have since replaced the physical switches for most of our main lights to smart switches. Now, the lights can be turned on/off using the light switch, the app, or Alexa.... in any combination. Though, I still keep some physical switches "taped-up" for secondary lights (ie. ambiance lighting) and for my upcoming project for our stairwell.

[​IMG]

UPDATE:

So I changed out the two bulbs in our stairwell with the Enersave Motionsense bulbs. There are two kinds; FO and FD

FO: It operates either on (7W) or off.
    FD: It operates either on (7W) or dim (2W).

For the stairwell, I don't think adding "smart" functionality is necessary. As long as it's on when somebody walks by and turns off automatically after several seconds, I'm fine with that.

This is what my switch plates look like now:

Left: Stairwell Lights
    Middle Top: Foyer
    Middle Bottom: RGBW Living Room Corner Ambiance Lights
    Right Top and Bottom: Living Room Main Lights 1 and 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#366 oj88, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Rscb, ronjet and VicB like this.
  7. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi sir @oj88 , what brand are those smart switches? :) same dilemma with the light switches stays on the “on” position all the time.

8. oj88

It’s the Broadlink TC2. It’s controlled via RF by the Broadlink RM Pro+ hub.

9. oj88

Has anyone actually converted their manual roll-down blinds into a motorized one by adding a motor such as THIS?

I've rearranged our living room to optimize space. The bad thing is, the TV is now by the window.... so depending on the time of day, there are times when we have to watch the TV against the light. I've been creative with the curtains to cut down as much light but then, it makes the room gloomy without natural lighting.

I plan to use a black-out (ie. opaque) roll-down blind that, I hope, can be converted into a motorized one. Once I'm able to have remote control of it, I can include an Alexa scene to lower or raise them, depending on the status of the TV.... or something like that.

10. oj88

So, what did I do with my holiday?

I modded the heck out of my Vornado 660... added remote and Alexa control capabilities to it. I always thought that the Vornado 660 should've had a built-in remote. But then, I realized, where's the fun in that?

The parts consists of inexpensive components that can be bought online. The mod is pretty straightforward.... it's the "putting everything together" and fitment is what got me scratching my head several times. After breaking a few internal plastic tabs (for wires to route through) and being liberal with the glue gun (to hold them in place), I was able to put everything back together and got it working the way I intended it to.

I should mention that on top of Alexa, I also have a Beoadlink RM Pro+ (IR+RF blaster) working together with the RM Tasker Plugin.

The 6-channel RF remote controller
    [​IMG]

The 12V DC power supply for the controller
    [​IMG]

Wiring the controller using an old Cat5 cable
    [​IMG]

Wiring on the fan-side speed controller
    [​IMG]

The "kamot ulo" moment... how the heck do I make these things fit?
    [​IMG]

In the end, I triumphed and got the thing obeying my commands

11. kcnatividad

kcnatividad New Member

@oj88 Sir im new with Rm pro and alexa, i need some help regarding how to ask Alexa to change channel to ABS CBN.
    do i need a logitech harmony remote to be able to do that? I've also watched Paul Hibberts videos and followed it a couple of times but still im stuck and it's not working

12. oj88

For that particular application, the best and most elegant solution is to get a Harmony Hub. I would've gone that route if I didn't already have a Harmony 665 remote.

Rscb and kcnatividad like this.
  13. kcnatividad

kcnatividad New Member

Sir @oj88 thank you for your answer!

14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....did the same. Pagawa ng stickers sa mall to remind everyone not to touch the light switches that control the smart bulbholder.

For outside/perimeter lighting, I opted not to smartify it. Used the tried and tested LED lighting fixture equipped with light sensors (bought thru Amazon). It is more reliable since it does not depend on wifi.

15. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

So I bought the Yeelight Smart LED Bulb for cheap just to test the waters in this whole smart home thing. So far it's working great. I'm looking to utilize its compatibility with Google Assistant but I can't find the "home control" option in the Google Home app. From what I've read, it's Google's way of forcing you to buy their speakers. I found a suggested workaround, but it uses google assistant which isn't available in the PH play store. I have both an android and ios devices, so a solution on either platform would be appreciated.

Or is this a lost cost and I'll have to purchase their speaker to take advantage of voice control?

16. oj88

Not sure if you really need the speakers or not, but I tried powering down my Google Home Mini and I was still able to control my devices via voice through my phone.

You should link your Mi Home account to Google Home, and then you should be able to control your Yeelights via Google Assistant on your phone.

17. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm getting this too. Three of the switches is a 2 ganger with one trimmer. Unfortunately, it isn't available on the market.

18. potpot2

hi! how to link mi home to google home? thanks!

19. oj88

Open Google Home app. Tap on Settings, select Home Control, then tap on the blue "+" on the bottom right.

It will open up the Add Devices page and just look for MI Home, tap on it, login using your MI Home credentials and you should be able to see your Yeelight under Home Control.

You should probably be using the US server in the MI Home app.

Hope everything pans out for you.

20. potpot2

Thank you!
    Was able to do so.
    Now i can turn on and off my electric fan, smart tv, digibox, and garage light via google voice command