Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Joemer

Joemer Member

Hi oj88,

which version are you using the Broadlink RM Plugin Lite or the Broadlink RM Plugin (Paid Version). Any tips on how to set it up and how to configure it to work with my echo? If it's not allowed in the thread kindly send me the guide via PM. Thanks in Advance.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

The learning curve's a bit steep but I'm sure you'll manage. I'm using the paid version. I can no longer recall what differences exist between the Lite and the commercial versions. I bought it because I wanted to support their efforts.

For the detailed instructions, I'd refer you to watch Paul Hibbert's excellent How-To videos. The steps are a bit technical. I mean no disrespect when I say that I have no time to write a detailed step-by-step instruction when the video describes the procedure much better and in layman's terms. However, you are free to ask me if you should get stuck.

Good luck!

Rscb likes this.
  3. Denny

Denny New Member

Hi does anyone able to connect logitech harmony to skycable digibox? Tnx

4. Denny

Denny New Member

5. Denny

Denny New Member

Hi just got my harmony hub and having trouble doing the activies. Like you tube or netflix. And did you able to connect your sky cable also? What brand and model you use ? Tnx

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry if this has been answered earlier...

If I purchase use a Yeelight LED Bulb and Lightstrip...

Set the color to blue... If I cut off the power and turn it on later (using the usual set ups we have at home)... will it turn on with the same color (blue)?

7. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

just bought a wemo mini switch from US. It now works with Apple Home kit. Just update the wemo app.

I connect my water dispenser and it works.

8. oj88

Sorry, I don’t have a Harmony Hub, just a Harmony Remote

I've only tested out a couple of Yeelights for a short time and I believe (and I may be hazy on the details) that you can set it two ways. One option makes it always go back to a pre-set default regardless of its last state. With the 2nd option, you can set it to remember the last state it was in before the power was removed.

9. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is the weno switch compatible with our 220 volts?

10. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

Yes it is.

potpot2 likes this.
  11. jerichojanolo

jerichojanolo Well-Known Member

It goes back to the default color (white).

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

13. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Any Xiaomi Mijia (Mi Home) users here? Recently bought an air purifier and it can't be connected to their Mi Home app unless I switch the region to Mainland China. It's a bit of a hassle since I needed to reinstall/detect all my Xiaomi Home enabled devices because of the transfer of region. Anybody else experiencing issues with their device-app incompatibility?

14. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I just bought several echo dots and smart life plugs and sockets. I'm able to ask alexa to turn on and off lights around the house, which is nice. But, then my kids keep telling alexa to turn off ligthts where I am just for fun. I'm worried that some visitors can also ask alexa to turn off lights around the house.

#354 Juice, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    porkypork likes this.
  15. oj88

Xiaomi smart home devices are both a blessing and a curse. They're blessings in the sense of the breadth of price-competitive products they have to offer. A curse because they keep those products segregated by region.

Last I checked (months ago so I could be off), only devices registered in the US server supports integration with Alexa. I had a couple of cheap Xiaomi-Philips smart bulbs that only works with the Mainland China server (which makes it incompatible with Alexa). I had to jump through hoops and use a Raspberry Pi 2 (with the appropriate software) for the bulbs to work with Alexa.

There are currently no safeguards surrounding the control of smart home devices by guests through Alexa (or Google Assistant, for that matter). This is the same flaw that allowed anyone within earshot of the HomePod to play back messages on the owner's iPhone. This could change in the future when security policies and practices finally catches up to voice-activated controls.

For now, convenience is the name of the game. Security is not quite there yet.

Juice likes this.
  16. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have 4 xiaomi cams and 4 xiaomi wifi plugs. All are in china region.

17. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Yeah, I guess that's what we have to settle with. I'm fine with using the China Region for as long as it won't have any problems in the future. I really love how convenient it is for Mainlanders, imagine having real-time data of temp,humidity,PM2.5/air condition in your area. Aside from that you can order everything via their Mi Home app as well, this works great for their consumables.

How are the plugs working out? I've been looking for those, but they aren't available through the local Xiaomi Store. They look bulky as well, but figured it would be helpful to automate our stand-fan in the room once our split-type aircon turns off.

18. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

I recently added Blink cameras to my smart home setup. I can now tell Alexa to show me garage, etc... I have the echo show, Philippines is now an option on location.

altogether, I now have Philips Hue, Wemo, Sensibo and Blink set up.

19. funcityboy

funcityboy Active Member

20. oj88