Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

i ordered it from lazada PH for a little less than P2300. The diffuser's brand is Oittm Smart Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm interested with the Xiaomi Air Purifier 2. But at the moment, I'm still contemplating on whether to get it or just build my own. Youtube has a bunch of DIY vids on how to slap an AHU filter behind a box fan. In theory, I can automate its operation by connecting it to a WiFi plug and have a Broadlink A1 environmental sensor turn it on and off based on the PM reading. Although, using a HEPA filter is ideal, I can also just opt to use cheap non-woven fiber filters (the blue stuff sold in hardware stores). Anyway, SOME filtering is still better than NO filter. At the end of the day, I just want to drastically reduce the amount of visible dust around the house.

DIY is exciting and all but I also have to do due diligence, aside from the fact that a Xiaomi Air Purifier would look better compared to a hack job of a box fan that would end up in my living room. Anyway, I have several questions about your Xiaomi which I hope you can answer with as much detail as possible.

1. Which Xiaomi Air Purifier model do you have? (1, 2, 2S, Pro, Max)
    2. How long have you been using it?
    3. How big is the room area where the air purifier is primarily used? Is it your living room? Bedroom?
    4. What is the average number of hours it is running over a 24-hour period?
    5. How effective is it in actually reducing dust collecting on surfaces around the house?
    6. Have you replaced the filter? If yes, how many times have you done so since new?
    7. How much is a new filter?
    8. Is it true that a genuine Xiaomi filter has an NFC chip that prevents you from either re-using it once its life goes down to 0% and/or replacing it with an aftermarket/customized filter?
    9. Knowing what you know now, in retrospect, would you still buy it?

Thanks!

3. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

DIY-ing an air purifier seems interesting and might save you some money but it sounds a lot of work.

as for your questions, i bought my Xiaomi Air Purifier in Singapore in one of their IT shows late last year as it was on sale and comes with an extra filter.
    1. I'm using Xiaomi Air Purifier 2
    2. I've been using it since November, but not continuously since I've been going in and out of the country.
    3. I'm using it in my bedroom, i'm not exactly sure on how big it is.
    4. The first time i bought it I use it for more than 12 hours per day, but recently since the PM2.5 count has already been lowered in my room i've only been using it for less than 8 hours a day (usually when I sleep), and there are days that I don't turn it on anymore
    5. As far as I know it doesn't collect dust on surface, it only cleans and purifies the dust in the Air which is the PM2.5.
    6. So far, i have not replaced the filter yet and the existing filter is still at 87%.
    7. I'm not sure how much the filter is locally but in singapore it's around $40-50sgd
    8. I'm not sure on this because i haven't replaced my filter yet.
    9. If you have money to spare, i think it's a good buy especially if you're living in the city as the air is very polluted here in metro manila.

hope these helps you. :)

oj88 likes this.
  4. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im using the air purifier of xiaomi and im loving it! filter would cost around 1250 in their official store. i think its a good buy compared to other air purifier which are not "smart" purifiers hehe

5. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

^is it available at the local mi store? thanks

6. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

yup yup! i saw it sa megamall Mi store

shootertwist likes this.
  7. jessec

jessec Active Member

I am also using a xiaomi air purifier 2 bough locally, @zagu is correct, the extra filter cost 1250, haven't change it thou, Mine is connected with my echo dot for voice control, and very much satisfied with it.

8. oj88

Can you retrieve information from the air purifier through Alexa? Like asking what the current room temp, humidity, and/or air quality is?

9. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

How much is the xiaomi air purifier here in manila?

10. jessec

jessec Active Member

You can only control the purifier's power (on/off and strength 10% 50%, 100% etc)

11. jessec

jessec Active Member

Bought it at 7.5k when they first introduced it, but I think the price now is around 6.5k

12. psych0fr3ak

psych0fr3ak Member

13. mongkee

mongkee Well-Known Member

I have begun collecting a couple of Xiaomi Mi Home devices such as their LED Desk Lamp, Smart Plug, Yeelight Color Bulbs, Xiaofang and Dafang cameras. Also ordered a Mi Gateway and Temperature Sensor which have yet to arrive. I'm hoping to get their smart door locks soon

The main reason I stuck with Xiaomi is that aside from knowing they have good products at reasonable prices, their Mi Home platform/app provides the most number of smart home devices under one app (vacuum cleaner, electric kettle, rice cooker, various sensors and even an induction cooker). I wouldn't have tried using smart home devices if it meant having to use and manage multiple apps to control different devices made by different brands

To anyone who's considering Xiaomi, take note that their smart devices that need to be plugged into a standard wall socket uses the Type I plug (same with Australia). So instead of using the usual adapters, another (unpractical but more elegant looking) option is to replace your wall sockets to universal type sockets. Most of the commercially available brands of wall plates and outlets are interchangeable (Omni and Royu outlets will fit on Panasonic Wide Series outlet plates). FYI

jerichojanolo, VicB and Roman like this.
  14. oj88

Nice setup. I've shied away from Xiaomi's smart home products due to a couple of things:

1. Cost. To be fair, they're not expensive. But I am cost-sensitive so I try to save a buck here and there using cheaper, off-brand alternatives
    2. More importantly, the only way to have the Mi app access to virtually all Xiaomi smart home devices requires you to use their Mainland China server. The problem is, that server doesn't have Alexa and/or Google Assistant support. If you need that integration, you must use the US server (which only supports less than a dozen Xiaomi devices). This is moot, however, if you don't intend to integrate it with a digital assistant.

I learned about #2 the hard way. A few months ago, I purchased a couple of Xiaomi-Philips smart LED bulbs (cool/warm-white only) and found out I can't use them natively with Alexa. The issue is, the bulbs only works with the Mainland China server. I eventually found a workaround that requires the use of a Raspberry Pi and Hass.io. This was a happy mistake as I can buy more of the cheaper Xiaomi-Philips white LED smart bulbs as I've got the backend infra already setup. But I'm outta luck with other Mi devices that have no native support with Alexa or GA, so I try to stay away from them.

VicB likes this.
  15. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

^ As I started with smart home devices using Alexa, I've pretty much tried to use devices that can integrate to it. My next step is for lighting. What are the bulbs that can be bought in Lazada or any other local online store or any retail store that integrates with Alexa & uses our 240V system?

16. oj88

Here are a couple of smart colored (RGB+W) bulbs with Alexa/GA support. Just add them in the Smart Life app, install the Smart Life Skills in Alexa and have her discover them.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...o4l.searchlist.list.5.da2a65c0AxCX9X&search=1

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.31.da2a65c0Au9IU5&search=1

Right now, I am also playing around with smart light switches. If you don't need dimming or don't bother with colored bulbs, replacing the light switch will offer two distinct advantages:
    1. It will come out cheaper because each individual light switch can control any number of 'dumb' LED bulbs. In many homes, a single switch can control 2, maybe 4 bulbs. So instead of buying four colored smart bulbs, you just replace the switch and leave all the traditional bulbs in place. Good for controlling the garage, basement, or exterior lighting, where a colored bulb may be overkill or unnecessary.
    2. It is more 'user friendly'. With a smart bulb, you'll either have to open the app to control the lights or ask Alexa to do it. If somebody in the house accidentally turned off the wall switch, it cuts power to the smart bulb.... then it stops working. A smart light switch works with both voice commands and with people who don't care about technology and just wants a physical switch to turn on or off.

I still have colored bulbs, but I relegate them as secondary lighting as a mood or theme setter. My primary lights are still the regular white bulbs.

I will do a video demonstration of the switch I used in the bedroom one of these days.

jessec likes this.
  17. jerichojanolo

jerichojanolo Well-Known Member

I bought Yeelight colored bulbs for my lights outside the house. Downloaded the Yeelight app (Singapore server) for controls via phone, and Yeelight skill to have them controlled by Alexa. Works well.

My apps so far:

Kasa - for TP-Link smart bulbs and plugs
    Yeelight - for the bulbs and Mi desk lamp
    Yi Home - for IP camera

Now, where can i find those Yeelight white bulbs?

18. jessec

jessec Active Member

^ if you can't find it on Lazada, check out geekbuying or gearbest they shipped here

19. jerichojanolo

jerichojanolo Well-Known Member

Still a wishlist in Lazada. Will check the latter two.

Thanks!

20. oj88

Down below is a short video demo of my Alexa-controlled bedroom. But before that, let me talk a bit about the switch.

The light switch is a Broadlink TC2 3-gang smart RF switch. There are 2-gang and 1-gang variants available. It's not WiFi and requires a 433MHz RF hub, particularly, the Broadlink RM Pro+. My RM Pro+ is installed in the living room where it also functions as the IR blaster for everything IR (A/C, TV, A/V Receiver, and the active bookshelf speakers).You only need one RM Pro+ to control all RF switches. For IR control inside the bedroom (TV, soundbar, and A/C), I use the Broadlink RM Mini3.

I chose the Broadlink TC2 switch because of one crucial thing: It doesn't require a Neutral line.

Fig. 1: Here's an example of a traditional WiFi smart switch that requires both the Live and Neutral wires to work. This will require an electrician to lay down a new Neutral wire to every light switch you wish to install a smart WiFi switch. At the least, this is impractical or in many homes, impossible to do without punching holes on your walls and crawl spaces:
    [​IMG]

Fig. 2: Here's an example wiring diagram of a 3-gang Broadlink TC2. As it is plainly evident, it only requires a single Live wire, which is already in place in 100% of homes. Electrically, the TC2 is the exact equivalent of a mechanical light switch. It powers itself using parasitic current passing through it and the bulbs. What all of that means is that, you don't need to modify your house wiring to use this:
    [​IMG]

Having a physical smart switch is best, as it can be used traditionally like an actual switch, through their app, Alexa/GA, as well as having the ability to use automation like scheduling.

Anyway, here's the video of it in action. Additional details in the video description:

#320 oj88, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    ArkiJan, VicB and raypin like this.