Anyone started investing in Smart home devices?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by zagu, Sep 11, 2015.

1. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

ordered mine from lifx too, hope it gets here kaagad :)

masterboy likes this.
  2. lion0423

lion0423 Member

Heads up for those ordering LIFX bulbs from the online website: the prices have been lowered for models A19, BR30, +A19, +BR30 and Mini Color.

For additional 10% off on your purchase, use my referral link:
    https://goo.gl/apPmXy

3. 31gna

31gna Active Member

shootertwist likes this.
  4. shootertwist

My lifx bulbs are on the way! Cant wait to try it out... cant believe I’m looking forward to a bulb haha... will use it on my existing echo dot then shift to homepod once mine arrives hopefully next week hehe

Got a quick question, i read alexa via the echo dot could open/control fire tv, and in turn open the tv, anybody tried this here in the philippines? I read its only available in the US, but wondering if it works if your device is registered to a US address or your amazon account, it will be great to open the tv with just your voice

5. ignudi

ignudi Member

this is my home setup:
    • 1 amazon echo 1st generation smart speaker (bought during 11 july 2017 prime day)
    • 3 amazon echo dot 2nd generation speakers (bought during 11 july 2017 prime day)
    • 3 wifi smart bulbs
    • 1 ambi climate v2 AC smart controller
    • 6 smart plugs
    • 2 3-gang smart switches
    • 2 2-gang smart switches
    i have managed to integrate the smart devices with alexa. i use tuyasmart app for the switches, plugs and bulbs. i initially have to set up the devices and gave each a unique name within the tuyasmart app; i then installed the tuyasmart skill within amazon alexa, then ask alexa to discover the devices. i can then get to control them using voice commands. neat ;)

the smart bulbs are indeed expensive at 1.3k each. the smart switches are 1.3k each as well, however, i need not invest in smart bulbs that much (they work with dumb ordinary bulbs). i can also get alexa to control the switches individually or as a group.

i can also control my carrier xpower inverter AC using the ambi climate controller. it also has an alexa skill you can install. you can set timers within the ambi climate app to control AC operation. you can even ask alexa to announce the current temperature as reported by the ambi climate's humidity and temperature sensors. i was informed that an update is arriving, which will add geofencing capability. in the meantime, i use IFTTT. the ambi climate has better reviews online than the sensibo, which seems to be nothing more than a glorified remote control for ACs, with no climate control AI, like the Ambi.

i use the smart plugs to control my charging station and my synology/mac mini plex media server combo. i've set up one smart plug to turn on my charging station at 4.30 a.m, then turn off later at 7.30 a.m. ; that way, i don't unnecessarily stress my apple watch and iphone batteries from overcharging. another plug controls my NAS and mac mini so that i need only to turn them on when i actually use plex (i don't run the synology and mac mini 24/7).

i use mostly apple devices, but siri/homekit can't match alexa's leverage in the smart home category. what a missed opportunity for apple, now only playing catch-up.

i'm saving next for philips hue. i'm also thinking of setting up motion sensors for the lights. and then, i'm so ever-patient in waiting for the price of the logitech harmony elite to drop to practical levels. i'm also on the lookout for a smart controller for window blinds.

#265 ignudi, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    shootertwist and VicB like this.
  6. shootertwist

1 ambi climate v2 AC smart controller - where can i buy this one bro? is it possible to connect any kind of aircon? i'm using an old carrier aircon, if anyone has any suggestions please, thanks in advance :)

7. ignudi

ignudi Member

@shootertwist sir i bought the ambi climate from amazon last december. USD129, and then courtesy of johnny air. :sneaky:

it's from a hong kong based startup. this is their website: https://ambiclimate.com

it has AI built in. it uses external weather data (based on your location) as well as the ambient conditions in the room where the device is placed to control your AC for optimal temperature setting. in the ambi climate app, you can view the following:
    • AC usage trends/patterns (daily, weekly and monthly views)
    • monitored indoor and outdoor humidity values (daily, weekly and monthly)
    • monitored indoor and outdoor temperature values (daily, weekly and monthly)
    • average setpoints (a setpoint i think is the average AC thermostat value for any given week)
    the device then uses the trends it has learned, together with the ambient indoor and outdoor weather conditions, to set a comfortable thermostat setting. if what it recommends is not comfortable enough, you can do an override by using the app and tell it to either lower or raise the the AC thermostat setting.

it's easier to do it with the alexa app and the ambi climate skill. you can ask alexa the following:
    • alexa, ask ambi for temperature in [room].
    • alexa, tell ambi it's a bit cold/warm in the [room].
    • alexa, ask ambi to lower/raise the temperature in [room].
    • alexa, ask ambi to turn on/ff AC in [room].
    during operation, the ambi continuously monitors the ambient indoor and outdoor weather conditions, and automatically lowers or raises the AC thermostat value to compensate. right now, since the summer has yet to kick in, the ambi climate sets my AC thermostat to a comfortable 25 degrees.

you can also set timers. there's also an Away mode, which lets you set a threshold temperature. once that is reached, ambi turns on the AC, then turns it off once the temperature is below the threshold temperature you have set.

i have no experience with the sensibo, but gathering from the research i made comparing it with the ambi, the sensibo doesn't have this AI capability.

it works with any AC, so long as your AC remote has a display, or that it transmits the thermostat setting/mode AND fan speed simultaneously when you press any key. ambi says it won't work for ACs with remote controllers that only transmit IR signals to lower or raise the temperature (no status signal for mode and fan speed).

hope this helps. :)

#267 ignudi, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    rdy0329 likes this.
  8. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 for AmbiClimate v2 it's "Smarter" than Sensibo and knows how to adjust to your comfort level as you train it. They have a list of supported brands on their website.

9. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

Sad I just checked and my Panasonic AC isn’t supported.

10. ignudi

ignudi Member

does your AC remote controller have a display sir? and does it transmit temp/mode/fan speed setting info when you press a key?

11. shootertwist

my ac remote doesnt have the display so i guess i'm out of luck hehe

12. ignudi

ignudi Member

that's too bad... i believe the sensibo also has that same requirement for the AC remote...

13. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

My ac remote doesn’t have a display. I saw the remote sa site and it says explicitly not supported. Guess time to replace my AC! Hahahah

14. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi! What 3-gang & 2-gang smart switches do you use? Can be used for 220 volts requirements here in the Philippines? Been looking for a compatible one that can control my lights and fan. Thanks!

15. ignudi

ignudi Member

hi. i got it from hawkeye automations: http://www.hawkeyeautomations.com/

there are two versions: UK (square) and US (rectangular). same pricing nevertheless. i got the US type. last time i checked, it was priced at PHP1830/per.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it only requires that your panel installation has neutral wiring. initially our electrician couldn't get it to work. he had to drop an extra line from the junction box so that it connects to ground. after that, the buttons lit up. the smart switch itself requires power in order to work, which is provided by the neutral line. the LED lights up orange when the switch is turned on; otherwise the LED is blue. it helps when it's dark at night and no more groping for the switch as the blue LED remains lit even when the switch is off. it kinda works like a discreet nightlight, in my opinion. ;)

the tuyasmart app (and by installing the tuyasmart skill, alexa) can control the switches individually or as a group.

yes, it works for 220v. maximum load is 800W. :sneaky:

#275 ignudi, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  16. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Nice! I have to figure out if it will work first. Thank you so much!!!

17. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

im playing with xiaomi smart devices. I think it's a good deal! i bought one Mi smart air purifier 2 and i think it works well! i was able to set it up with Alexa also so its a plus! their app needs improvement but its not in Chinese anymore which is a PLUS hehe. Xiaomi is opening its flagship store in Trinoma! if im not mistaken it will be tom Feb 17 saw it online being posted/shared.

jerichojanolo and Ejaxene like this.
  18. jessec

jessec Active Member

^@zagu, how did you set the mi air purifier to work with Alexa? Tia

Edit: which mi skills are you using

#278 jessec, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  19. shootertwist

also does the mi desktop lamp work with alexa? thanks

20. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member