anyone into cooking? What cookware brands do you use?

Discussion in 'Food' started by zagu, Jan 19, 2016.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry for the OT...

Can anyone recommend a shop in Manila where I can buy a stovetop deep fryer... Something big enough to fit a crispy pata...

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Buy restaurant-grade stuff. It lasts practically forever, and you can always find replacements to match decades later.

For leads on brands for other commercial kitchen grade gear I browse https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ then look for the Philippine distributor.

I replaced my Tupperware from the 70s & Lock & Lock from the 00s food containers with Cambro. This is the brand used by Ritz Carlton, Salad Stop and Starbucks. They have a local distributor here.

I use Kyocera Ceramic, Global & Shun knives. Unsure if they have a Philippine distributor as I bought my set from Amazon.

From the 70s until today we swear by performance of Le Creuset cookware. Their dutch ovens looks beautiful on a dinner table and retains heat better.

Mother hand carried her 6-piece Classic Set in FLAME color in France similar to the one shown below

[​IMG]
    while i got my 6-piece Classic Set in Satin (matte) black on sale for $280 on Amazon. That's 75% off Philippine prices.

[​IMG]

Middleby for stoves. They have a Philippine distributor.

For baking we use a Silpat Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat

Mykolant, raypin and Sunil_K like this.
  3. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Calphalon is on sale at Amazon T_T very tempting

4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Reviving this thread.

What are your essential starter pots and pans? Are Tefal, Le Creuset, Calphalon or All-Clad cookware that good?

Am trying to buy just five essentials for the condo: a stainless steel skillet, a stock pan or dutch oven, a saute pan, a non-stick egg pan, and sauce pan.

pandecoco likes this.
  5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...The brands you mentioned are all battle-tested but I am partial to Tefal. Reasonable price.

Add a good wok with cover to your essential list. And a slow cooker (guaranteed to tenderize the toughest meat).

pandecoco and hitme64 like this.
  6. pandecoco

pandecoco Member

I’ve replaced my tefal teflon-covered pots and pans with stainless steel, to use for induction cookers, and also stick into the oven,,,all stainless steel, including handles....j

hitme64 likes this.
  7. hitme64

Stainless steel is best for induction hobs and cooktops so am going with it. I’ve limited my essentials to three, for now: a skillet, a stock pot and a sauce pan.

pandecoco likes this.
  8. manager

manager Active Member

I've slowly migrated my cookware to Chef's Classics. It's a local brand with great quality and price points.

Unless you've got something specific in mind, the dutch oven might be more versatile than a stockpot.

Add back the non-stick pan. They're cheap and eggs are a real chore in stainless steel unless you like them oily.

pandecoco, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  9. raypin

Mm...lazada will be having their mid-year sale this July 12th. I spotted some Tefal sets as part of the sale.

docjbr and pandecoco like this.
  10. hitme64

@manager is right, getting a dutch oven is better than a stock pot. And a non-stick egg pan that would be useful also for pancakes and French toasts.

This cookware business is sure draining on the budget eh? ;)

manager and pandecoco like this.
  11. raypin

Mm...if you cook more at home because your kitchen is well-appointed, your investment will pay off in no time at all because you will be dining out less. Plus you know exactly what goes into your tummy. No artificials. No colorants. No day-old reheat, frozen then thawed etc.

Cubao area, right? That means farmer’s market...easily my fave market in MM. I love their seafood and fruit/veggie section. The best produce from all over the country in one place. Then there’s easy access to Unimart in Ghills for hard to find ingredients.

You’re lucky.

hitme64 and pandecoco like this.
  12. hitme64

When you cook at home you decide on what you want, how you want it and how much you want it. It’s cheaper and much healthier, kudos to @raypin...

Farmer’s Market remains the quintessential palengke for everything you want for the table. I hate to go to Nepa Q-Mart because I remember as a child how meat is prepped there, how fish is washed or how vegetables are air dried. Then SM Wet Markets came about and everything changed for weary mothers, housewives, and under the saya husbands. Now the IoT has introduced grocery deliveries online and soon robot and drone transfers food and ingredients to the table faster than riding to the market or grocery.

The loss of innocence of marketing is quite alarming now...(n)

pandecoco and raypin like this.
  13. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone with a recommendation on a really good air fryer?

14. mafioso

mafioso Well-Known Member

Been using Phillips for several years now-no problem for me.

15. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

We got a cheap (P2900) Kyowa air fryer during ECQ from a seller we came across in one of the many many Viber groups, and it’s been our best quarantine purchase so far.

16. tinmuning

tinmuning Active Member

I use Tefal, Beka & Tramontina for nonstick cookware. A trusty old unbranded wok which I probably stole from my Mom's kitchen for stir fry dishes. Pyrex & Cuisinart for baking. I have yet to receive my Tramontina cast iron dutch oven which I ordered through Amazon.

17. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

sorry for the OT... first time in my life I'm buying LPG here in Manila...

I believe my mom uses M-Gas, in-laws use Gasul, sis-in-law uses Shellane

Any significant difference between the 3?

18. raypin

Mm…just get your supply from the nearest authorized reseller that delivers. I use Solane (formerly Shellane). The main difference is the type of regulator that they use. Some are screw type, others are not (de salpak). Get a quality LPG regulator (screw type or de roskas) with the indicator gauge from Ace Hardware. Specify Solane. For first time, you will have to pay for the cost of the LPG tank and its content.

#38 raypin, May 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM
    Last edited: May 13, 2021 at 4:41 PM