Any SEA travelers here amidst this virus scare?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GTdiver, Jan 31, 2020.

1. funcityboy

funcityboy Active Member

Got an email for a refund last March and it was mentioned that it would take 3-4 credit card billing cycles for it to reflect. Till now I haven't received the refund yet.

Theus likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Singapore Airlines

Technically my daughter's flight back to Manila for June is not yet cancelled, as we're waiting for an option to have it rebooked on a later date.

3. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Missed this thread prior, Would like to get hindsights from people who previously commented here on what they actually did proceed with the trip or not.

For me, my last international trip was 3rd week of January prior to Chinese New Year. Went for a business trip to Tokyo. Locals there were not conscious about Covid-19 yet. While I was explaining myself for not shaking hands they were all saying that it’s ok and safe there. I have been conscious of my trips since December of 2019 by wearing masks and spraying alcohol on the seats and trays of the plane. I have cancelled at least 4 business trips And trade show participations since so far and this was decided early February. People that time thought I was too paranoid and I would like to believe I was. My thoughts was if I can’t send myself for the trips then I won’t send my staff. I don’t have the “guts”. Hehe.

4. ice

5. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Have any muggers taken a plane ride since the end of March 2020?
    I know of a few who have flown, but nobody has travelled for leisure

6. ice

7. ice

Not sure if this article is to encourage us (Pinoys) to travel, or to change our mindsets and allow foreign tourists to enter the country...

DFA: 61 countries now open to tourists | Inquirer

8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

yes but almost all countries maintain a 5-14 days quarantine restriction upon entry; eating up most of a tourist's time staying stuck in a hotel. Not the most encouraging. so unless youre planning to stay for more than a month, it's not worth it just yet.

ronjet and raypin like this.
  9. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Talking about virus scare...
    This is first hand info and don’t want to flame anyone. Am neutral in terms of politics but black is black and then white is white.
    I have a Japanese friend who flew into Manila from Tokyo around 2 weeks ago. He didn’t say which NAIA terminal. Here is his experience as far as health protocols.
    Departing Japan - No swab test or any COVID 19 tests required.
    Arriving in NAIA Manila - Swab test at the airport upon arrival then was brought to a quarantine facility. 2 days later they got the negative results and he was allowed to leave the quarantine facility and go his way.

Question: Incubation of the virus is 7-10 days as i have read. I know that we need inflow of tourists and businessmen to prop up the economy and recover as much as we can for the economy, but i think it’s too aggressive to do it this way. If he got infected on the plane then he would have been a carrier.

For comparison, Australia has mandatory 2 weeks quarantine that the incoming passenger has to go through and pay for. I think this is safer for everyone.

raypin likes this.
  10. ice

Our company requires a traveler to isolate for min-7 days and take a PCR Test prior leaving (regardless if a PCR test will be arranged on the other airport)

Since you mentioned Japan, they have a list of countries which requires a Negative PCR Test prior flight (Philippines is included), but upon arrival, they will also arrange a PCR Test and release you once you're Negative - same with HK

So what Manila is doing isn't bad.

US doesn't even test anyone entering the country

Hero33, ronjet and greta87 like this.
  11. tinmuning

tinmuning Active Member

A Japanese client of ours arrived 2 weeks ago. His swab test was also done in the airport and he stayed at a BOQ accredited quarantine facility until his negative results were released. However, he continued to go on quarantine for 14 days as that was the instruction to him by the Philippine Embassy in Japan when he got his entry visa.

12. ice

Posting this here as its "travel" and "Covid" related

Cathay Pacific Adds First & Business Class Face Mask Exemption | One Mile at a Time

13. tweek

tweek Well-Known Member

I would not do air travel until at least 20% of the world population is vaccinated.

I wish I was traveling in 2019

14. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Dang, this thread DID NOT age well.

I’m pretty happy my country closed borders.

eag likes this.
  15. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm just glad that we pushed through with our trip to visit my sister-in-law's family in Munich in 2019.

tweek and raypin like this.
  16. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

a year later and we're still waiting for Insurance refund from Chubb.

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....last foreign travel to nearby HK and Singapore in late 2019 and early 2020. Really miss the activity. Had I known earlier (pandemic)........oh well. Such is life. Sometimes, I browse travel photo albums or live vicariously through youtube travel bloggers.

SE20 likes this.
  18. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

During the pandemic, one of our favorite pastimes at home is to watch those walking videos on YouTube, people taking a video of their walk through a place. They're mostly natives, not tourists, just helping us to experience their place through their eyes.

It sounds strange that this would make for good viewing, but it is. Anyone else enjoy these?

eag and raypin like this.
  19. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

My last travel was to Honolulu, Seattle, and LA from late January to early February last year. Missed traveling even domestically.

20. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here one of the reason I upgraded to Youtube premium . I walked alot of countries , I done walk in NYC while its raining with no umbrella :) currently I am hooked on hiking Japan. I also walk it while on a treadmill :)

SE20 and raypin like this.