Any SEA travelers here amidst this virus scare?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GTdiver, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Well, I asked my doctors if I'm ok to travel. They all said, too risky for people like you who are immunocompromised and people who had Chemotherapy. Looks like business and pleasure can wait. At least I'll be able to save on vacation expenses. :)

hitme64, raypin and ronjet like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...exactly. A peso or dollar saved now is a peso or dollar more to spend for leisure travel once this virus thing is over. Di naman matutunaw pera eh.

There will be a worldwide travel and economic boom once the WHO declares this as over.

For now, the economic fallout looks to be severe in the next few months.

hitme64, Juice and ronjet like this.
  3. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Just cancelled our trip to Rome and Paris next week. And my 2 year old daughter was so looking forward to visiting her 3rd Disney Park. Plus flights are non-refundable, so there goes the money. But at least we don't have to worry about my family (myself, wife and baby) getting stuck thousands of miles from home.

Will push through with the UK leg of our trip, though, since my siater is getting married there. Hopefully UK doesn't see a spike in cases.

Better safe than sorry applies here. Keep safe everyone!

Juice and hitme64 like this.
  4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Jazz has always been about taking risks. The show must go on. And so must life.
    Pat Metheny in Singapore copy.jpg
    20 Grammy Awards, 10 categories—more than anyone.
    At the Esplanade Concert Hall, 2 March 2020.

Heck, there was more risk in taking a prohibited photo! :D

Live and let live.
    Off to KL next week. Deadma: Patay Malaysia :D

5. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Is that Metheny? I missed it then.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Yep. Didn't post it because it would've been OT in the "4-chord band" thread. ;)

A few Pinoys flew in, though not as much as Indonesians and Caucasians.
    3-5% no-shows. Probably stayed at home and played Kenny G :D—who BTW cancelled his SG concert, not that I would've watched. :D

Speaking of concert cancellations, Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet proved True to be false. :D
    A-ha had an aha moment of fear.
    And 98 Degrees failed the temp check. :D

Mykolant and SE20 like this.
  7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Cool. Still have to watch him, too bad Lyle won't be around. Planned to catch him in Sydney on this tour, then take in the Grand Prix, and hang out with my mates. Plan proved to be too ambitious time-wise.

Anyway, back to regular programming...
    Travel in the time of COVID-19, to paraphrase Marquez...

hitme64 and rbenzon like this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, we can now go to South Korea except for three provinces where COVID19 is the guest of honor. At least for our OFW brethren that’s a great thing.

Singapore isn’t a good place to be now. So is Hong Kong. Two of the most wonderful places to be this summer and can’t even book a flight for the next 30-40 days.

Might as well do that road trip to Cagayan De Oro this month then. Just two vehicles loaded with gear and extra food and tires. Take a kick off not spending travel time to other countries, for now.

shaft likes this.
  9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

We were also going to Paris, but it will have to wait. My kids were also looking forward to it. They thought I was kidding.

10. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

as of today, unless a spike happens in Sydney we are pushing on with our vacation this April

11. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

If it were just me and my wife, we'd have pushed through with it. We can take the necessary precautions, anyway, and we're used to being exposed to diseases in the hospital, anyway. But with our 2 year old baby in tow, it's going to be hard to keep her from touching everything and from wearing her mask. Plus if she gets sick in a foreign faraway land, it's going to be hell, even with insurance and all.

That Disney Paris trip will have to wait. We were so looking forward to staying onsite and spending five joyful days in Disney. But health comes first.

ronjet, isaak, Juice and 2 others like this.
  12. hitme64

Not a good thing to travel now with kids. My grandson had the colds on his way back to the US, but he never had one in here. They had to rush to the pedia to have him checked for the coronavirus. It came out negative, but what a nerve-wracking week for them and us. Their return trip to the US was filled with passengers either sneezing, coughing or with colds already. Not a good sign in this season of COVID19.

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Fact is, kids only comprise 2% of all COVID cases, less outside of China, with no deaths.

I had a similar conversation with my brother:
    Bro: You must think you're invincible.
    Me: Hahaha, no. Look at your two nephews (3 and 5); they both have colds and cough. Are they afraid? Of death, of losing their 'prized possessions'?
    Are they fearless because they're 'clueless', or because they haven't been poisoned yet by adult 'ghost stories'?
    Take a good look at Papa. He's 85, survived bayoneting, bombing by the Japanese, and two cancers. Is he afraid of COVID? I rest my case.

Not saying that parents shouldn't cancel trips "for the safety of their children"—that's an overlord's prerogative. I do not forbid my son to wear a mask; he has a cough, so it's considerate of him to wear one in school. But it's parents' 'concerns' that lead to cancellations, not kids'.

Again, parents' prerogative. But let's call a spade a spade: Who projects fear onto the fearless? Adults.
    Worse, adults who try to convince you of the risk (that they imagined), so you won't notice them trembling—that cover-up is the best-selling mask. :D
    #talangka :)

I've got upcoming trips to KL, Singapore, Lucban, Baguio, Vigan, Phuket, and Sydney—three organised by my insistent 85-year-old dad. If he isn't canceling, I'll take his cue. :)

Mykolant, dasaint and bacchus_3 like this.
  14. hitme64

^It isn’t just COVID that worries them, it’s flu season in the States. And influenza, which has killed more children than, right, COVID. And you can get community-acquired flu sickness (and other diseases) on planes, trains and automobiles. It’s a matter of precaution and preemption, not by being fearless but by being careful.

15. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Oh, I totally get that. Like I said, your prerogative. I respect your decision, @Juice, et al.

But not those who project their fears onto others, packaged as righteous. :rolleyes: I get enough of that from my mom. So... ina niyo! :D

Mykolant and bacchus_3 like this.
  16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I am not rescheduling any of my trips, but for those who do, this might be helpful:

[​IMG]

Come to think of it now, that graph reminds me Pinoy travel in Boracay—they only come out pag wala nang araw. :D

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....last Feb 4, I posted this in the covid 19 thread regarding masking or not masking in public:

"When it comes to health, it is the responsibity of each to assess the risks of infection vs. the state of personal health and make an informed decision."

Let me restate for this thread:

"When it comes to health, it is the responsibity of each to assess the risks of infection vs. the state of personal health and make an informed decision, including travel."

No one is preventing anyone from traveling. Your risk assessment is different from mine and for everyone else. So, to put it in crystal-clear terms, wala akong pake if anyone here travels or not. Problema na ninyo yun. What I will not tolerate is anyone here telling me not to share what I read and understand about travel advisories because that is the purpose of this thread, which is crystal-clear from the thread title. The threadstarter is clearly soliciting opinions. I am not injecting or projecting fear. So, no suppression of opinions, pro or con.

At the end of the day, it is up to the decision makers within the family to travel or not to travel. Kids have ZERO input for obvious reasons, imo.

dasaint and Sir iAco like this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

to staunch advocates of freedom of speech, while posting under a pseudonym: slow clap :D

"hindi ka nag-iisa" :D

reminds me of masked HK freedom fighters—"willing to die for freedom", but not freedom from virus fear. :D

back on topic, found this on the SG MRT on my way to a concert the other day.
    IMFITP.jpg

I went up to the poster and muttered, "Buhay ka pa naman, 'di ba?" :D

Bold to relaunch an 8-year-old campaign at this time. Then again, there may not be a better time!

Sir iAco likes this.
  19. hitme64

^They are rewording that campaign slogan to: “It’s More Fun Staying In The Philippines.”

That might as well sum up the Bahala Na Gang segment of society. Live and let live. Die if you must. But please, enjoy yourselves while there’s time.

On a lighter note, my travel agent friend said everyone on her Holy Land tour were in high spirits despite coronavirus. One elderly couple told her that this is their only time left to spend together and not even COVID19 will stop them from doing this. Like I said, Bahala Na Gang.

rbenzon and bacchus_3 like this.
  20. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

Looks like there will be more people in Manila this coming Holy Week. hehehe