Any SEA travelers here amidst this virus scare?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GTdiver, Jan 31, 2020.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

And yeah, Vietnam for that matter.

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

in Pattaya currently and on one of the tours we had, we are the only asians in the van.

raypin likes this.
  3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

In any battle, there will always be frontliners. Kudos to @Chito Limson, @dasaint, @guwapito, et al., for your field reports.

"Buhay pa naman kayo, 'di ba?" :D

Mykolant, Juice, bacchus_3 and 2 others like this.
  4. guwapito

buhay pa naman, pauwi na nga eh haha

5. guwapito

seriously, almost all establishments has their sanitizers, people are wearing facemasks and yes, we dont see any chinese at least to where we are right now. we also have facemasks if needed but we only wear then on public transports just to be sure.

we should be all good as all of us im sure we are mindful of personal hygiene :)

Juice and raypin like this.
  6. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Just came back also from Japan. Even big grocery stores and drugstores are out-of-stocks of surgical masks. You can only buy 1pack/box per person. Tried to buy 1 pack(3pcs) and 1 pack(20pcs) and they made me choose ‘which one?’. May be the Japanese are trying to control it or they also cannot keep up with the demands now.

EE118B6D-36F9-46FD-9653-EA2ECF9BB3AD.jpeg

Sir iAco likes this.
  7. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Suwa and Chino, Nagano
    697032ED-3805-4031-A833-C8EB70C22202.jpeg BF327CBA-1CBB-4D69-84B6-922535366505.jpeg

Sir iAco likes this.
  8. hitme64

^Same problems. First world, Third world. It doesn’t matter. When SHTF people go ape shit in survival mode. It’s the same everywhere.

ronjet likes this.
  9. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Just came back from Hokkaido for the snow festiva - the hotspot of initial Japanese confirmed cases, and just as we were about to go home another taxi/tour bus driver got infected in Tokyo (?) and his in-law sadly a casualty.

i think for a week that’s the only increase in confirmed cases other than the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

I only had my daughter wear masks as courtesy because she’s just acclimating to winter and inevitable she’d cough when we frequently move outdoors to the warm indoor trains and malls. Just practiced proper wash hygiene - very convenient with how toilets across Japan are.

In the area where our aunt lives the anecdote was the Chinese community hoards the masks by circumventing the one pack/pax restriction by going several trips to the mall - before that they were the one who bought many packs too. It may not be the same across Japan but that’s what my aunt saw in the last two weeks. She kind of hated them for it :D

ronjet likes this.
  10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

just came back from Phuket.

Singapore airport - (personal estimate) 20% were wearing masks
    Phuket Airport - less than 20 were wearing

SIN-HKT flight - As usual, more than 70% of passengers were Caucasians, no mask

At Phuket - hand sanitizers were easily available, masks are almost impossible to find

How's Phuket...

Positive: Imagine going there without the Chinese... :)
    Negative: (I'm half Chinese) They thought I was Chinese... I had to make sure other people heard me when I correct the locals that I'm Filipino :)

macjobber, rbenzon and ronjet like this.
  11. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

iPhones given away to stuck passengers on cruise ship.

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I saw this article earlier... If I remember correctly, the unit provided was a 6 or 6S with a special app installed to allow passengers to communicate with a doctor.

Juice likes this.
  13. GTdiver

GTdiver Member

....wow they did that mid flight, looks like they would have turned the flight around if they showed more symptoms!? I better be sure not to cough when i'm flying, I would have argued if I were in their place. Kudos to your brother for volunteering to check the couple, I wonder why they trusted the quarantine officer over a medical professional.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

^My brother was just a passenger. By law, they are not required to intercede unless called upon by cabin crew during emergency situations. If he had insisted he would’ve been cited or worse arrested. The quarantine officer is a duly authorized member of the crew and has precedence over any staff except the captain of the plane.

Mykolant, dasaint and bacchus_3 like this.