Any Recovered Macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by [email protected], Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Hi guys, i was reading a lot of post about stolen MBs and MBPs, putting us serial numbers to the database and posting it the different sites and forums, just want to know if 'ANY' of these beloved items got back to their owners? Has the database proven itself effective at tracking down, idntifying and finally retreaving back the items? Any news on this? :(

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

A definite YES to all your questions, except the last one - news blackout in effect as requested by the owners…

3. ste@lth

Hi sir soloworx, wouldnt it be more effective if the process and procedures on how the MBs and MBPs have been tracked and retreive be known even on the general and not the details as to help out more on the members that have been trying to recover their items for the longest times?

4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

No, it wouldn't be more effective as we have proven. Discretion and 'stealth' seem to work better - this is not something that our local media always crave for ("The people deserve to know the truth!" Actually they just want to out- scoop their competitors in media.)

5. ste@lth

Oh i see... got your point there sir soloworx, thanks for the info, i jut hope there would be more of those items that will be recovered in the future, i always felt sad everytime i see posts of lost and stolen items knowing that it cost thousands and even hundreds of thousands, its hard times today and to lose something of that big is quite a shock if it happens to me.

6. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

Personally, I'm just glad some of the units made their way back to their real owners. Just wondering though, are the people caught with them ever prosecuted?

7. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

OT: Good thing it's now a requirement in greenhills that any seller present two IDs before completing the transaction. The annoying thing is, the tenants are getting very arrogant since they see this as a way out of a closed deal.

8. bad_boy

Staff Member Supporter

jaijin: Even in the tiangge area? Is this for laptops only?

9. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

speaking of stolen MBs, I got this post from Peyups.com:

"my macbook got stolen last sunday in the parking lot of rsm resto in tagaytay. in case someone's selling you a second-hand macbook with serial number - w8735dgyz5w, pls don't buy it and contact me at 09177961335. thanks! "

I dont know who she is but in case you bump into her stolen MB, there's her number.

10. elbert

elbert Active Member

It's like good news, bad news.

The good news is that the unit made its way back to the owner and the guy fencing it was apprehended.

The bad news is that all the data was lost, along with the rest of the stuff stolen from that owner (backup drive included), and the guy who was in custody was not the actual thief.

#10 elbert, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. bad_boy

Staff Member Supporter

^Although the unit was recovered, that still sucks big-time. For quite a few people I know, the data would be much more valuable.

12. macalua

macalua Member

here we go again

13. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

@macalua and @treb22, please delete your posts for now. We're cooking up something.

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

wow! this item is posted here:

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=3698844

15. Aws3ya

Aws3ya Member

saw that too and actually posted this, but decided to delete it after seeing soloworks post that they are cooking something, dn't want to scare off the seller.

"my macbook got stolen last sunday in the parking lot of rsm resto in tagaytay. in case someone's selling you a second-hand macbook with serial number - w8735dgyz5w, pls don't buy it and contact me at 09177961335. thanks! "

16. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

@soloworx & elbert: you got pm...

#16 ArkiJan, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.