Ants In Your HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by itchan, Sep 12, 2009.

1. itchan

itchan Member

HDD of my macbook pro had been infested by ants. It's still working though, but I now consider it a ticking time bomb that can conk out anytime.

Searched the net for some info and was shocked to find out that it is a common thing.

No, I don't eat in front of my computer. I think due to the cold weather the ants got attracted by the heat generated by my computer and probably found the HD air filter a cozy spot. And yes, they can survive the searing heat of the MBP components.

Sigh, and my HD is a 3-month old seagate scorpion black 320 GB that I've waited for months to get my hand into... Life...

So if you see a couple of ants on or near your computer, do not ignore it. It may be an indication of a bigger problem. =)

Anyone encountered the same problem? What did you do with it?

2. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

already experienced an unnerving ant attack back in my ibook days. anyway, there was a similar thread about ants, altho in this case, they were under the keyboard. :p

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=49641&highlight=ants

good luck! i guess you'd have to replace your HD soon... :(

3. grayminded

grayminded Member

I experienced this on my MSI megabook. They were there during the rainy days. :)) But later they went off.:p No problems in my MSI megabook though.

4. RC

RC Active Member

Just try the suggestions on the thread @enuhski posted...

Also, the ants can't possibly be in your Hard Drive since the drive is sealed.

5. itchan

itchan Member

Contrary to popular belief, harddrives are not sealed/airtight. They have air vents that are only covered with foam-like filter :)

Like enuhski said, thread isn't specifically about ants in the HDD and ways to salvage it (if still possible-i.e. ants haven't gone through the filter to the platter).

Mods can merge it if they deem appropriate though. :D

#5 itchan, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  6. acnugteel

acnugteel Member

Better run your Time Machine ASAP!

7. mig

mig Active Member

Could you not contact Seagate themselves and ask for advice on how to deal with it?

Btw, Seagate makes Momentus drives. Western Digital makes the Scorpio drives. ;)

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

If it's an internal drive, how do you its headed for your hdd? I had that happen with my old iBook. I see an occasional ant or dog flea.

Fleas are attracted to body heat. As such I did general cleaning in my room. Vacuum and wet rag wiping of all surfaces. Then I sprayed insecticide in strategic areas. I also treated my dogs with frontline. No problems since.

As for ants, rid your room of food debris. Ants live near a food source. Nothing to eat, they move. If your Mac has heavy infestation, have it cleaned internally. removing dust and nesting material goes a long way in cooling your Mac too.

9. cclozano

cclozano Member

Experienced this too, though I'm not sure the ants are targeting the HDD specifically, my MacBook was left on overnight. I saw one, later two, then around 5 small ants to and fro the keyboard/screen. My MacBook is less than two months old and very well kept.

I just thought the study table must have smelled of chocolates or candies, which my wife used to keep in the drawers, that I asked her to clean. Now the "Mac ants" are gone.

10. Kjeldor

Kjeldor New Member

I had the same experience but the hard drive was not yet installed. Last June, I just bought a 500 GB WD drive. I did not immediately installed it to my mac. I placed the drive on a clean spot in my desk and decided to install it in the morning. When I woke up, I noticed there were some red ants crawling on the desk. Decided to investigate and saw they were coming and going from the hard drive. The drive was still in its plastic pack but noticed a small hole where the ants were passing. I started killing the ants and waited for some of them to come out of the drive. Giving a light tap, a few more ants emerge from the drive. I did this for about 4 hours. Making sure no more ants were coming out, I decided to install it. Fortunately the drive is still running.

11. nat2x

nat2x New Member

After reading this post yesterday, an ant passed by on my trackpad. LOL! He must be scouting for my HDD. :D

12. pale_lips

pale_lips Member

what could ants possibly need an HDD for? aint it hot in there?
    my HD got a reading of 40 degrees... sometimes higher...

what i'd probably do in this scenario is try to lure the ants out of the machine by putting food nearby... but then again... baka dalhin nila sa loob ng laptop ung pagkain... :slanted:

13. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

There a chalk type thing which my brother bought that kills ants. just follow them to the entry point of your house/room and block it with the chalk. the ants try to cross but they die trying.

Maybe the HDDs have desiccANTs inside them.:)