Android vs iOS

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by ice, Nov 17, 2022.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not starting a long which one is the better mobile OS here.

But just sharing some items I noticed when my Note broke down and I had to use an iPhone for a week.

My last iPhone used as a primary device was the iPhone 4. Then it was all Android from there. None of the devices I used were rooted. No custom ROMS, no weird customizations... I also never sideload Apps (for my primary device).

My Note will most probably be my last Android primary phone. Will be going back to iOS soon (if not the 14 Pro, will wait for the 15 Pro)

iOS - big plus that I finally had iMessage, FaceTime and Airdrop (even if just for a week). I find it annoying that wireless CarPlay drains the iPhone's battery but all my Apps just work better on an iPhone!

Now for the downsides I noticed

- No Chat (RCS) on an iPhone - most people I message (here in PH) use an Android
    - iPhones do not automatically block spam messages, its also harder to block spam callers
    - Back button on the upper left side of the screen (I need my left thumb to tap it)
    - Cannot change default Apps. There was a time when I clicked a URL and the iPhone asked if I wanted to use Chrome or Safari. I chose Chrome, then the device told me the App was not installed
    - iPhone's Gallery App can be annoying (or I guess I need to get used to it)
    - Double press a physical button to turn on the camera is not available on iOS

Nothing is perfect and I find it funny that after years of using Android, I will be moving back to iOS...

gaol and Sunil_K like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm... have the Samsung Fold 4. Not sure of version of Android. But it has been a smooth and snappy experience. Some new things to learn (different Android os on my now-defunct Samsung tab from the prehistoric era). I m all good using iOS and Android. Which is better? Who cares for as long as both are performing to my expectations.

gaol and Sunil_K like this.
  3. ice

gaol likes this.
  4. ice

5. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been an iPhone user from 2007-today.

It was dumb of me to buy a 2nd smartphone to learn Android.

My use case did not need an Android phone

I was stupid to buy Android in 2014, 2015 & 2017.

Money would have been better spent buying $DD & $HVN at their all time low. That's $2000 down the drain for cheap & badly designed Android devices that broke after 13 months.

Even when over 9 out of 10 smartphone PH users are on Android does not mean you need to consider it.

If over 20% of your direct contacts are on iPhone/iPad/Mac then I'd stick your iPhone.

6. ice

I'm now using a BTS Purple iPhone 14 Pro

Still can't figure out how my widget and screen should look like.

Initial impressions.

I love the size. My Note 20 now feels too big for me
    Android Auto is way better than Apple CarPlay
    Android notifications are way better

Some positives

Airdrop, yes Android has nearby share, but everyone in the family uses an iPhone
    FaceID, FaceTime and iMessage is way better/convenient

7. DonnaJerrily

DonnaJerrily New Member

If you're missing certain features like Chat (RCS) and the ability to change default apps, it's understandable that you might find Android more appealing. However, if the seamless integration of iMessage, FaceTime, and Airdrop, as well as better app performance, are more important to you, then iOS could be the way to go. Remember, there are always trade-offs when it comes to choosing a mobile OS. If you have any Android issues, I recommend visiting these mobile phone guides. I always find solutions for optimizing my phone or solving some bugs.

8. ice

managed to "fully adjust" to iOS now...

only issue I have left is iOS' terrible handling of Spam SMS/Calls

9. ice

iPhone vs Android (The Real Winner)!
    Marques Brownlee

10. ice