Amazon Prime Video Philippines

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by yoh_hectic, Nov 18, 2016.

1. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Hehehe

It's an official Android TV box.

hitme64 likes this.
  2. macjobber

The things I enjoy now with our Mi Box S that we didn't have in our LG 4K Smart TV:

Facebook Watch (esp. Apo Ni Mamay page)
    Free IPTVs
    Paid IPTV subscription-life changing hahaha
    (Been able to watch the whole NBA Playoffs and a live pay per view of Manny Pacquiao at home-all in HD for the first time)
    Be able to play all 4K video formats-our Smart TV can't play 4K 60 fps from our Yi 4K+ action cam
    Built-in Chromecast
    Spotify (open TV for playlist playback, turn off TV and listen via AVR)
    Voice search in YouTube and PlayStore
    Use free weekly VPN (using a just a simple hack) to access NetFlix US
    Play emulator games using cheap Ipega controller
    Watch local channels in HD: ABS-CBN,CNN Ph, ANC (sold our TVPlus because of this)

All of these for just P3,500 or even less if you wait for sale :)

#242 macjobber, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I just started using an Amazon Fire TV Stick and from the looks of it, it might eventually replace my Roku 3 of some 7 years.

I love the fact that the Fire TV has Alexa (microphone on the remote) so opening apps or searching for videos would no longer require me to use the wonky on-screen keyboard. I can also ask Alexa to show a particular CCTV video from any of my Wyze cameras.

I do have a question about Amazon Prime Video.

Is the Prime Video offered by Globe exactly the same product as you would get if you subscribed directly to Amazon Prime and/or Prime Video?

4. macjobber

Yes

5. bernx

bernx Member

Is APV no longer blocked? I once tried its free prime video subscription, but to my dismay, most the movies I love to watch are blocked because they say I'm outside the US, though I can get around the problem by getting VPN subscription, but I'm too hesitant to jump in because it would set me back more on top of the APV monthly fee just to see the movies, so I decided to hold off until I heard Globe is now offering the prime video, and until now not sure if prime video is now open without VPN.

I'm thinking now getting a prime video, because the movies I see on Netflix are not too interesting to waste time.

6. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

What Globe is offering is the local version of Prime Video. This is different from the US version of Prime Video.

7. macjobber

Yes. No longer blocked.

Unlike before, whenever I use my free APV that comes with Prime Membership, almost all videos are not watchable.

They have officially introduced some years ago, in partnership with Globe, and Globe offered free 6 months APV PH membership a couple of years ago.

But mind you, after more than 6 months, we have watched only a few movies and series (The Man In The High Castle and Jack Ryan are among the few good series), and I can say to myself their content is disappointing.

I have already uninstalled our APV app.

8. oj88

So, are you saying and you’re confirming that the access privileges are account dependent (PH vs US acct.)? Isn’t it just a matter of how the service is accessed (local IP vs VPN)?

With Netflix, even if I have a PH acct, I can access both US and PH content simply by turning on or off the VPN, respectively.

9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I never experienced that nor did I notice videos being blocked. APV came with the Smart TV so I’m guessing its been primed already for that regardless of where it is being accessed.

I also did not use the Globe offering and I don’t use VPN on it.

10. macjobber

Yes.

VPN for US content access only.

For local APV, no need for APV like we do before the official APV launch.

11. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

Pwede pa kaya e avail yun 6months free ng amazon prime sa globe?
    Yun sakin kasi katatapos lang ng 6 months ko, gusto ko gamitin ulit yun 6 months free using another globe number. If possible pa kaya

12. oj88

Great! Thanks. I knew as much but just wanted to be sure. I have been on Prime on and off for the past few years but never really used Prime Video that much.

I have restructured my Globe plan so I have excess consumables that I think would be best spent on bundled subscriptions, Prime Video included. But it will only start eating up my consumable once the 6-month free trial is up. That and a bump to 50GB monthly data cap.... sweet!

13. kinse_44

Yes, the content that you'll see depends on your account. I have a US account so I need to use a VPN to watch all of the content that US Prime Video offers. If I don't use a VPN I can see the library but the only ones that I can watch are those under "watch while abroad" titles, which are limited Amazon Originals.

14. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Having a Local Prime account is utterly pathetic. Aside from the fact that they seldom add new movies, even some of their original tv series ( such as The Boys) are not even available locally.

manager and macjobber like this.
  15. oj88

Even if you're using VPN?

16. kinse_44

After searching for answers on Google, I found out that a local Prime account can access the US library using a US VPN but use is limited to web browser. Mobile apps are still geoblocked.

17. oj88

What would be a list of programs to look out for on Prime Video to check if one is indeed able to access US content?

On Netflix, the de facto test is if you can play "The Office (US)", then you're on the US server.

18. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

My test for Netflix is The Twilight Zone (the original series)

19. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I couldn't access Last Flag Flying using a PH VPN, normal NZ IP. I could access it when I selected US DNS. :)

20. kinse_44

Old HBO titles like The Sopranos, The Wire, Rome.

If you see trial offers of Showtime, HBO, and Starz, then you’re seeing the US content.