Aluminum MacBook Slanted Keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by hearken, Feb 5, 2009.

1. hearken

hearken Member

Anyone else distracted by some of the Unibody MacBook's slanted keys? I am, I really want a fix. I actually brought it over to Digital Walker to have them check it but they said there's no guarantee the replacement would have straightened out keys. Just thinking if anyone's successful in fixing it.

2. mig

mig Active Member

i thnk i read somethign before about popping it out and pushing it back in...

3. hearken

hearken Member

Really? Anyone else try this? Will it actually help?

4. uramaru

uramaru Member

Hey bro, you can watch this and try it out.

Good Luck! :)

5. hearken

hearken Member

I actually tried the paper fix. Not working. It just doesn't yet seem to be corrected yet. Do you guys think my problem's legit for replacement?

6. chibull

chibull Member

I also have this same problem :(

7. mig

mig Active Member

its a cosmetic defect and apple willingly replaced the macbooks of unhappy owners. that was in the US and europe though, where people are free to demand replacement of product for the simple reason that they were unhappy.

good luck getting a replacement here.

8. uramaru

uramaru Member

Try a harder one, like a cardboard and repeat it several times. It worked for my friend.

9. hearken

hearken Member

Thanks. I'm really not pleased that a premium company like Apple would even call they're manufacturing process "precise" when they can't even get their keyboard straight. Don't they have quality checks before they pack and ship their products out? I've had these slight cosmetic defects with almost all of my Apple products. iPhone (light-leaking on the side), my previous gen MacBook Pro (warped-lid). Their products have darn great functionality but they should try to start not making them with these little irritating snitches.

10. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Call AppleCare at +180014410234, free from any PLDT landline. That should tag your problem and ensure someone will take care of it.

Leo

11. edpinedajr

edpinedajr Member

Can you try to post pictures of your slanted keys?? Just for the others to have an idea how slanted they are....

12. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree, I think Apple's quality control is crap. I'm picking up my 2nd replacement Macbook tomorrow. Yes, that will be my 3rd Mac in more than 2 months!

And what's up with these slanted keys anyway? Darn, I sure hope the Unibody MB I'm getting tomorrow won't have this! And yeah, the iPhone replacement thread is already legendary.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I got some slanted keys as well. Did the ad hoc paper fixed and cured the problem. So far so good.

14. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

My wifey's MB has it too. Right from the moment when some person in the contracting company in China put the keyboard into the unibody.

I assume that going by the sheer number of laptops that Apple is producing, only a certain percentage of the batch will go through extensive quality assurance testing. Anyone getting their hands on those models definitely can call themselves lucky because those machines will surely be in better shape. All depending on what Apple says is still tolerable.

I will just wait until the keys get yucky and let their service deal with the problem then. It is somewhat bothering, but does not affect the machines performance or usability in any way.

15. imperialv

imperialv Member

where did you return your mac? and what's the problem with your mac?

16. extremeshot

@imperialv

Sorry, I'm too lazy to type and tell this story again :p. Here's the story: http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=43701

For your 2nd question, my 1st replacement unit was an outright replacement from D-hub since it was within 7 days when I first noticed the problem. The 2nd replacement came from Applecare but they sent it to D-hub too.

17. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not sure about this. QA is not about picking up a handful of products and making sure that they are perfect. It's more of making sure that the manufacturing process itself is excellent so as to yield quality products. Of course, there will always be lemons but those should be as rare as possible.

18. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Yeah, you are definitely right that quality assurance is about to find the best way of manufacturing, therefore to make the process itself as good as it can be. Usually companies like Apple can be pretty outforward when it comes to the deals on how RMA goods are treated and what penalties the manufacturer has to pay in case a contracted percentage of failures occur. That's why I believe that either the manufacturer itself or Apple pulls a certain number of units per batch for extensive control and if everything is within tolerance the unit finds its way back onto the shipping palette. When there is a problem investigations start. At least this is what I have seen in a lot of factories while I stayed in China.

19. extremeshot

I'm happy the Unibody that I got yesterday doesn't have the slanted keys thing. Love the illuminated keyboard too.