Alternative to Speck Case for Mac laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by macdrive007, Feb 19, 2014.

1. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

I've bought Speck cases for MacBooks, MacBook Pros & Macbook Airs these past years and all of them ended up scratched (see-thru) or horribly "decomposing" (satin).

Can PhilMUGgers recommend alternatives to Speck that provide the same protection, is lightweight, looks good & without the problems above?

Your reviews, price info & where to buy are much appreciated... :)

2. neilc

neilc Active Member

Used cases before bro and all ended in scratching the unit itself. It also accumulates dust. I suggest you just get a good sleeve.

3. macdrive007

I can live with the small scratches at the aluminum unibody. I use the case to protect from falls & dents while in use (my former MBP 15" had this painful accident in 2006). Problem with the speck is it looks so ugly in the long run that you want to take it off...

4. linkk

linkk Active Member

How long did you use your speck cases until you considered it as horribly looking? I had mine for 1 ½ yrs and there are some visible minor scratches and slightest hint of yellowing, although my laptop has not been exposed to prolong harsh conditions. If it will last me another year then that’s good enough and I will be glad to just buy a new one again. My speck cases saved my laptop from dings and accident bumps and have been satisfied with it :)

5. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

Im also looking for a case. How about http://candyshield.weebly.com/ havent tried it yet but my friend bought one but still waiting for it to arrive. Eyeing the iPearl too. Anyone used those?

6. macdrive007

@linkk: it took just about under 2 years. It's the "rubberized" coating of the satin case seemingly melting away by itself. What I did is I stripped all the coating off to reveal just the plastic case (became see-thru now) but that meant I scrubbed so hard it was now full of scratches. So I experimented by bringing it to Banawe to have it "repainted" by those experts in repainting dented/scratched cars. Paid 600 pesos for top & bottom case and it wasn't perfect - scratches were gone but painting was uneven & had some parts where it looked like the worker was not careful in his craft. They said they could not buff it as they want it, that the plastic may break due to heat of the buffing.

Finally found an alternative at Applewerkz, bought the ion-factory candy shell case. Looks like the speck satin case, got the ash (black) color. Hopefully this wouldn't melt like the speck one. PhilMUG discount too! Thanks too Lemirand, Val & the other guy who drove the motorcycle. :)

7. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

I suggest getting the Power Support Air Jacket. It's what I have for my 15 inch 2013 MBP. Here's a link: Air Jacket Clear Black for MacBook Air 13†Really love the sleek look of clear black + it's skin tight. Doesn't add noticeable weight or thickness. Only con is the steep price. Got mine for around 3500 from BTB w/ PhilMug discount.

8. macdrive007

Sayang, BTB Ermita didn't offer me that, or informed me of this alternative that may be available in another branch. Will try it next time...

9. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

Applewerkz in Glorietta has brands like Ion, ZZCase and Slickwraps.

10. driodoco_julius

Can you post a picture of your new candy shell case? Many thanks!

11. renelou

renelou New Member

I find cases counter productive for laptops. Some require regular cleaning on the inside as well.

When I use them, I just use them naked, I mean the laptop ;)

When in transit, I just slide it inside a sleeve like the one from Crumpler. For some reason, I never bothered with laptop bags as well.

12. jcfiesta

jcfiesta Member

what will work for you then are skins, i guess, just like the ones i'm using from slickwraps

13. faithlc

faithlc Technoholics

14. lemirand

lemirand Applewerkz

What we do as alternative to cases:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PC Laptop Full Wrap covered.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Lemirand