All technical questions about upgrading to Leopard (merged)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Mocha.Frap, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Hey guys another question: If I install Leopard in this iMac (which is running tiger), will all my files be deleted? So I have to install every app again? Or not? :D Thanks a bunch.

2. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

Re: Leopard Question

Not if you Archive and Install, or Upgrade and Install. If you do either, it will retain all your current apps and files, and will change just your OS.

3. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

I've read about archive and install. It retains some of the previous Os's files. Question: Would this take a big portion of the hard drive? ALso, can you put the archived folder in an external drive? Thanks. :D

4. essay

essay Active Member

I just did an archive and install (not leopard, of course) :)

The process will automatically create a "previous system" folder in the library, in the internal HD. The previous system folder, in my case, was almost 7gb in the HD.

As mentioned, it did not delete my files and existing apps. But some 3rd party apps had to be reinstalled. I also needed to do a software update.

I let the previous system folder stay for another week, and observed whether my re-installed OS preserved my files and settings. When I observed that, my mac is behaving as it used to, better and more smoothly, i deleted the previous system folder since it was practically useless and was just occupying HD space.

Can you put the archived folder in an external drive? I am not sure. I did not try it. But I guess it is theoretically possible.

Can you direct the archived folder to an external HD during archive and install? I did not see an option during the process.

#4 essay, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  5. ikenn

ikenn Member

Or.... You can select the upgrade option. It will just upgrade the OS without touching your files.

6. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

3rd Party apps? Such as?
    Yun kasi tinatakutan ko eh. For example, yahoo messenger,photoshop and such apps. Baka kasi ma-delete =(

7. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member

That's a windows persons' concerns...

Macs are different...

Would you believe I have been using the same basic installation since I first used Macs 4 years ago. I have upgraded from Panther to Tiger and have moved my installation across 3 different macs over the years as well and have NOT had problems.

My apps, my data... all carried forward including my keychains, passwords, cookies and stuff that makes my machine mine.

And when I get a new Mac with Leopard on it, you can be sure I will just plug the firewire cable on my PB to transfer my stuff to the new one and I'll be working within the day.

It just works :)

8. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

What's the difference between upgrading OS and Archiving and install? What are the pros and cons of each? :D Sorry I haven't done much research kasi. Thanks a bunch :D

9. Lakan

Lakan Member

AFAIK, archiving and installing OS restores your files, applications and settings. If you opt the other way around which is to erase (existing files) and install new OS, you will lose your old files, applications and settings and may not be recoverable. That's why you have to make sure you back up your files, applications and settings before installing the new OS. Some people after backing up their files would choose erase and install as it is like treating your system a tabularasa - starting clean... while others will simply archive and install to avoid the trouble of recopying their files from back-ups.

10. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

So what's better? Backing up files, and giving it a clean install? or archive and install? :D
    Whats the difference of both with regard to performance issues? :D

#10 Mocha.Frap, Oct 17, 2007
  11. g_ed

g_ed Member

Check out his Apple document regarding installation options. It talks about the different options when upgrading the OS:
    Upgrade vs Install
    Archive vs Erase

It's good that you're getting ready for Leopard.

12. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Thanks for the Link! :D
    I'd probably go for Archive and Install, then erase the archived folder(after getting the needed files). :D Its just the same as installing everything again. Right? :D

#12 Mocha.Frap, Oct 17, 2007
  13. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Backing up files

Hey guys..This is a very newbie question. Sorry as I've not done this before. Since Leopard is coming out this OCt.26, I've thought of using the erase all files and clean install feature. Since I know that EVERYTHING would be deleted from this Mac, I want to know if it is possible to retain all applications,documents and files? And if it is possible, how to do it? Also, can I still use these apps? Thanks a lot :D

14. Lakan

Lakan Member

Re: Backing up files

If the files & applications are that important to you, just insert the OS Install CD, and choose Archive & Install. That way, you have upgraded your system to Leopard and retain your important files and applications.
    With Leopard's 300 new features, I think you will still be able to use your applications (although not sure if all will be compatible with it - if they are mac applications I think there won;t be any problem).
    If you want to do the Erase & Install just to experience doing it, make sure you first back up your files/applications/settings in a CD or external hard drive. Then do the erase install. After successful installation, then trasfer your files/aplications, etc to your mac.
    Don't worry Mocha, if you buy the installer, it will come with an easy-to-follow instructions. All you have to do is read and comprehend.
    Since the 26th is still a few more days to wait, try doing a research in the many threads in this forum. You will learn a lot.
    Goodluck. Hope this helps.

15. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Isn't it better to just archive and install than to completely install the Os again? :D I'm still confused over the two. There should be a difference between the two :D
    Tried searching the forums too..not much help on Os upgrading =(

16. Lakan

Lakan Member

Better to archive and install if your files are still of use for you - which will occupy space so resulting in less free space (depending on how large your files).
    Better to erase and install if your files are not that important and if ok to lose them forever (it's up to you) - which results in more free disk space kasi you erase na nga your previous files.
    Actually all these info are in the info materials that come with your iMac. Just check.

17. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Ah ows? Alright. I'll go check on it. Pero still, the hard drive space occupied is just the same if you archive and install then erase the archived folder eh :D

18. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

Merged threads now. All tech questions about the new Leopard -- how to upgrade, how to preserve files, etc. -- go here from now on. :)

19. redtamayo

redtamayo Well-Known Member

Re: All technical questions about upgrading to Leopard

Here is my suggestion. Since you have a basically new Mac, partition it into 3. First Drive 60GB for Mac OS X and Applications; Second Drive 200GB for Data; Third Drive 60GB for Bootcamp/Windows

That way, you can delete the Frist Drive and Third drive anytime you want and still have your data in the second drive safe.

This is of course barring a HD problem :D

20. essay

essay Active Member

No need to fear, mocha.Frap.

It did not delete my major apps like photoshop or YM... In my case, I had to reinstall AppDelete, VLC, and iGlass, which are minor apps.