Ali Express, safe to buy from or not

Discussion in 'General OT' started by potpot2, Aug 11, 2019.

1. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m planning to make a purchase on Ali Express.
    Have anybody done so before?
    How was the experience?
    Is it on par with amazon?

2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I was also hesitating. But, i’ve bought several items already. Just simple items like PETG tubes.

potpot2 likes this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....Aliexpress sells tons of products each hour. There is no way to determine how good or bad Aliexpress is in resolving dispute or how reliable the shopping and shipping service is. They do have this to give buyers some basic protection:

http://www.aliexpress.com/buyerprotection/how_do_i_open_a_dispute.html

Similar to eBay and Amazon.

My advice is to limit purchases to what you can afford to lose.

In my case, I ve used Aliexpress but only for low value items, with the rest reserved for either eBay or Amazon. Since becoming active on eBay (year 2008), all the items I ve ordered were safely delivered and the goods are as described. For Amazon, there was one problem but, via chat, Amazon refunded me promptly.

#3 raypin, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    potpot2 likes this.
  4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

Hi all! I actually have a question with regards to AliExpress. I bought a small item around July 22, and watched it progress to where it was going.

It was at our customs from July 27 to July 29, and now the status has stayed at "Released from customs" ever since. I gave my address to the seller and to how I understood it, it is going to be shipped to my home. I'm not sure if I should call the post office to claim my item? Some say that they claimed theirs through our postal office. I'm honestly confused about what to do next.

Do I just wait until the status changes to "At post office" or something similar? It feels so long now than ordering through lazada, haha.

5. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Better ask your post office where's your package.

6. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

If it was sent through EMS then you can go now and get it at CMEC in Pasay. If not then you will have to wait until the status changes to "enroute to delivery office" and wait 2 more days before you can pick it up from your local post office. you'll need the tracking number, a valid ID, and if EMS, you'll also need proof of payment.

raypin likes this.
  7. warmgreentea

Do I just call them and say "I would like to know where my package has gone to, and my tracking number is ____"? or do I also state my name and they would have the items on their database?

Thank you for your reply. Can the proof of payment be the confirmation emails/bank statements?

Here's the status of my item.

[​IMG]

8. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes. Give them a call, or send them a DM. That’s what I did when my package took a long time to arrive.

9. warmgreentea

Gotcha. I'll give them a call soon. Hopefully they haven't done anything terrible to it. It's a small gaming emulator device worth 10k, so I got to know it's status and all. :cry:

10. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

Yes, emails or bank statements is enough proof. It's better if the invoice for shipping fee is separate from the invoice of the item you bought. If the item you bought is less than 10k then you dont have to pay tax even if it breaches the 10k limit after you add the shipping fee.

It seems that your package was sent through EMS since the status still has not changed. It usually changes after 1-3 days to "enroute..". You'll have to collect it at the CMEC office. A common complaint with CMEC is that nobody answers their phone so it's better if you just go there. Or you can wait for the notification card which is sent via snail mail.

11. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Every time I had a package held by custom, I usually received mine - notification card delivered by them also stating that I need to pick it up at their office. Is this the same that they sent thru snail mail?

12. macmacoy

macmacoy Active Member

Yes it is the same thing. But I don't wait for it anymore once I know where my package is. I just go to the post office where it is and tell the guard/usher my tracking number and other details.

ronjet likes this.
  13. ginomatic

ginomatic Member

Safe. Bought a lot of gopro accessories there.

14. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

whenever i know my package will be shipped via our local post, i always use our provincial address. i dont know but in the province package via post are delivered to our address, while if i use our manila address, i have to go to lawton to pick up my package.
    weird!

15. manager

manager Active Member

Have ordered car parts from Ali Express with no problem.

Shipping time is as promised. Delays are when it enters our postal system <sigh>

16. warmgreentea

Thanks for the instructions y’all. Got my item at the post office in great condition. 10/10 would buy from aliexpress again. :)

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I have bought half a dozen items from Ali Express, all delivered without a glitch. But then, I had my orders delivered to another country, where the postal system is safe and efficient.

So if you lose an Ali Express order, ask Heneral Luna who our greatest enemy is. ;)

potpot2 and raypin like this.
  18. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

My items from Aliexpress arrived. I was only charged 576 pesos for customs duty(chrome copper tubes). The seller asked if they can change delivery from Ali to Fedex and they didn't charge me extra cause Ali refused the package(Not sure why).

IMG_3750.jpg