Alert: Apple IDs have been hacked

Discussion in 'Apple iCloud' started by hitme64, Dec 7, 2015.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

ronnel0918, Theus and Sunil_K like this.
  2. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Getting the iCloud password AND the second factor is a bit puzzling as well. Perhaps the attacker has access to law-enforcement tools to bypass 2-factor authentication? Another possibility is they have physical access to the device where you receive the one-time passwords?

hitme64 likes this.
  3. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

the two step verification is hard to crack... wonder how they did this..

hitme64 likes this.
  4. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Invest on a password manager. I have a 14 character password (76 bits of entropy) that I don't even try to remember which Lastpass has generated randomly. Paired with 2 factor authentication you should be relatively safe.

trigo and hitme64 like this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

actually i don't need a password manager per se, but thanks for the thought...i have to tell you no matter how tough that password is, someone or something will eventually break it...my own password was a 12-character, number and symbol combo that i had been using for quite sometime which i scramble every now and then and still it got compromised...i still have to investigate tho' how that TFA was bypassed in the first place

there are ways to really hack these systems but am not at liberty to tell, shhh...

for what it's worth, my Mac got disabled actually because of the number of tries the hacker tried to break it, not because he did...as for the apple id, it's been saved, password reset, details returned and all things considered, the balance has shifted...now that the IP has been traced and being tracked as of this moment...

#25 hitme64, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  6. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

^Hope you catch him (or at least make him sweat).

hitme64 likes this.
  7. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

yup i hope you catch the one who did this..

hitme64 likes this.
  8. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

Wow, this is a really nasty hack :( I've been protective as well on my end with the use of a password manager, 2FA and VPN. I hope you get to use your Macbook again.

hitme64 likes this.
  9. hitme64

^will give you all a shout-back when everything is well and done, i mean, with the MacBook (not the perp, but we'll get him now that we know where we did the hack)

10. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Would be great also if you can post news once the perp is caught (bring out the pitchforks and torches!!! :mad:) and some details how he pulled the hack so others can have a better idea how to prevent the same from happening.

#30 makintosh, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  11. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Was the hacker local or abroad?

12. hitme64

^local, but his IP travelled from Cebu to Cagayan de Oro to Pasig, so i guess he's from there...or she's, btw

13. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Is it possible to know how many apple IDs he was able to hack in to?

14. hitme64

i'm guessing this is happening now to a number of apple ids, because AS even acknowledged that there have been an increased number of reports of hacked accounts this past few days...

so i guess now is the right TIME to reset your passwords before you get into the same predicament that i am in

15. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Thanks for that, I already reset my wife's apple ID. I really hope he gets caught.

hitme64 likes this.
  16. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

tsk. i'm more concerned about devices / macs getting locked than files being exposed (come to think of it, i don't have any sensitive files on iCloud). thanks to this thread, i finally made myself improve my password, from being 'weak' to 'strong' (using @raypin's link) & enable TFA (still have to wait another day though per apple). VPN, i've had for a while now.

hope your mac gets fixed Rex.

hitme64 likes this.
  17. view2darrel

view2darrel Member

i received an email today,

You recently initiated a process to reset your password or unlock your Apple ID. Click the link below to continue ....

i did check the sender and its from apple. i have TFA enabled , i have random 15 to 20 characters long password (all my accounts) using 1password, i use VPN when accessing sensitive accounts (online banking, apple ID) , i dont login from other device, only on my mac and io's. thinking if i should create a seperate email for my apple id.

18. raypin

mmm.......heeding my own advice, I've listed down all my email and other accounts: dear lord! I need 12 new, unique passwords with X strings each (using the recommended upper case/lower case, number and letter combo) plus 2 Factor authentication. Password creator used : https://identitysafe.norton.com/password-generator .

19. hitme64

^yep, aren't we getting too paranoid now that we know we're actually unsafe out there in the digital world?

for what it's worth, i have decided to limit use of my apple id and shut off my icloud account...now it's back to saving everything on an external hard drive (on 3TB, that is)...

yes, we've become that paranoid now...

20. raypin

mmm......lesser of two evils: you lose control over your digital life vs. dealing with the minutiea of digital security to padlock your digital life.