Airports Thread (NAIA, Clark, etc.)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rbenzon, Oct 7, 2016.

1. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

I flew out of Terminal 1 over the holidays and was pleasantly surprised (and pleased!) at how clean and spruced up it looks. And the terminal is less congested than Terminal 3 so it was not chaotic. And there is a Starbucks!

2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I've been saying that the refurbished Terminal 1 deserves a better rep. The arrivals area downstairs still looks shabby but they've improved the interiors quite a bit. I like the Miascor lounge which I can access with my Globe Platinum card.

3. papajamba

papajamba Member

With regards to the T1 arrival area, why do we still have to go down the damn ramp??? And the loading area isn't covered too. Good thing I've never experienced arriving in T1 while it's raining.
    And I agree that they spruced up the place considerably. Weakness Lang talaga natin parati ang banyo, for some weird reason.

4. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Whether it's Terminal 1, 2 or 3, I just wish there was a more reliable, efficient and affordable option for taxi transport other than Uber or Grabcar.

The long waiting time for a yellow metered taxi cab in Terminal 3 is a pain, especially when you've just arrived from a long flight. Then you get "swindled" by the "operators" offering a car for hire.

Sunil_K likes this.
  5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm here at Terminal2. It only took 20 minutes to get here from alabang because of the new upper level road. Compared to the 1 and a half hours before the new levels opened.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Godfather, Cmmig and bugs like this.
  7. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

Omg! usually you need to double the time of the advisory, 5hrs x2 =10hrs + hrs for travel and traffic,
    its better bette at the airport A DAY before the flight for a 2hrs flight to HK,

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...if catching a flight is of utmost importance and you live far away from NAIA 3 and traffic along your route is heavy, my suggestion is to go to NAIA 3 many hours before your scheduled flight and stay in the Wings Transit Lounge (Terminal 3). You can sleep and shower there. Reservation is a must. Cost is about the same as sleeping in a budget hotel room. Tried it already. Less stress and hassle. Lounge is located at the food court level.

Godfather and SE20 like this.
  9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

the problem with the "go to the airport 4-5 hours ahead of the flight" suggestion like this is that most international carriers, (SQ, CX, etc.) do not open their check-in counters until 3 hours before the flight. so that suggestion *might* only work for PH carriers. might.

Godfather, SE20 and greta87 like this.
  10. raypin

Mm..once the elevated airconditioned walkway (with elevators and walkalator) connecting Resort World Manila with T3 is completed 1sr half of 2017, RSM would be an ideal place to cool off while waiting for the counters to open. Per plan, the pedestrian bridge will bring you directly inside the terminal building. You can arrive much earlier than the usual 3-hour recommended. It can also serve as an ideal drop-off point instead of being driven all the way to the traffic-choked departure area of T3.

The bridge is 200 meters long and will be open 24/7.

#50 raypin, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    greta87, SE20 and rbenzon like this.
  11. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Can't help but think this is a tactical move by the officers to force the gov't's hands on the matter --- at the expense of the riding public during PEAK TRAVEL SEASON.

12. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm fed up with the withering incompetence ... traffic to airports... problems at immigration... bad airports... delays in taking off (and landing)...

I've made a decision - I will learn how to teleport.

Sunil_K, putakti, Godfather and 2 others like this.
  13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Mismo. Those with balls would've just resigned on "principle". "Mass leaves" just wreak of blackmail.

Am sure the admin knows the dirt on Immigration, how the "officers" make money on the side. Heck, when my friend got a job abroad, the recruiter told him that Immigration needs to be "expedited", a euphemism for you know what. So maybe the admin is just using technicalities (wage, max OT) as a front for cleansing, whereas the "officers" possibly want the status quo because, maybe, um, lifestyle. ;)

Not saying all. But we tanders weren't born yesterday. :)

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  14. putakti

putakti Active Member

One of their reason is they don't have money to commute.. DAMN IT!

15. raypin

Mm..looking at the location map of the pedestrian bridge, it is very near McDonald's in Newport City and, more importantly, the steel parking building. Parking problem solved. Arriving passengers can just cross Andrews to reach their sundo. The cost is Php 1.9 B, courtesy of Traveller's Group (Andrew Tan). No public funds. Thank you Mr. Tan for the gift.

Going back to the Wings Transit Lounge:

http://blog.sleepinginairports.net/2015/08/06/wings-transit-lounge-manila-airport/

#55 raypin, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  16. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Whatever the reasons behind the immigration debacle, the fact remains that this year's mass exodus will be more hellish than usual... in airports already dubbed the worst in the world. Oh joy.

Even if you're not Catholic, nobody is going to be spared penitensya this year.

17. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

My friend flew out today. They timed the immigration line. 15 minute-wait. Bearable. Heathrow's security lines are probably worse.

T2 Immig.jpg

Then again, this is T2, a purgatory compared to hell that is T3. ;)

Godfather and porkypork like this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Damn. My friend, whose Immigration pic I posted above, just got *hacked*. His wife's luggage was pried open. PAL flight at T2.

Show up too late and Immigration lines may get you. Show up too early and your luggage will be sitting ducks, ripe for the picking. These f*ckers deserve to die, seriously. Grrrr.

Ejaxene, Godfather, Edelheid and 2 others like this.
  19. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Flying out on Sunday, I'll keep you guys updated. *Crosses fingers*

20. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hey, we gotta do whatever we can to retain that "worst airport" title. We can't have countries like Somalia stealing it from us. :D