Airports Thread (NAIA, Clark, etc.)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rbenzon, Oct 7, 2016.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Remember the thread about NAIA being voted the world's worst airport in 2011 and 2013? Well, that has been quiet for over 100 days. Coincidence? No laglag-bala to report?

Well, that was toxic and so last-administration; time to start anew, expanding to include Clark and other alternative airports.

Heard about the free wifi and fast internet (1Gbps?) connection in NAIA. Let's hope it's not just for telco publicity.

Feel free to share other improvements, suggestions, and "airport hacks"!

[​IMG]

Qin Zhi, bisdak, tonedeaf and 12 others like this.
  2. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

nice infotainment material. :)

just to add some more:

1) bring photocopies of your passport (info page & the page where the pertinent visa is stamped); in case you lose your passport in the country where you are traveling, having the photocopies help in processing a temporary passport for you so that you'll be allowed to travel out.
    2) wear compression socks for long haul flights to prevent blood clots. there's been studies showing a direct correlation between long haul flights & heart attacks/strokes hours after landing / wearing socks also help in keeping your feet clean during those security checks where they ask you to take off your shoes.
    3) if you're a guy who always has a swiss army knife/ or those multi tool devices in your laptop bag (like me), make sure to check those in before securing the boarding pass. those will be confiscated at the pre-departure area & there's a good chance you won't be able to get those back once taken.
    4) always get travel insurance.

3. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

I always get a seat near the exit if still available when I do web check-in and board last and most of the time I get upgraded in the exit row :).

Checking in online also guaranteed my flight twice at least for me even there was a very short connection time. My international Emirates flight which was re-scheduled to arrive the next day and arrived at Terminal 3, 11am tried my luck and rushed to T2, arrived at 12noon for my PAL 12noon domestic flight! The personnel at the counter told me that If I did not check in online, I wouldn't be allowed to board. Good thing the gate was still open even if all passengers are boarded and seated except me. And this happened again on my delayed domestic connecting flight from Legaspi.

For copies of your important documents like passport, visa, credit card, etc. I use Cam Scanner app for easy to scan/crop/save and organize. Available for iOS and android.

For my luggage, i use GPS tracker for added security.

#3 pinoyslinger, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Sunil_K likes this.
  4. mree

mree Active Member

I do the same. I stopped printing my stuff. Just point, shoot, and save.

Also, I download my airline and hotel app. Your phone is your boarding pass.

--
    EDIT: I stay away from LAX. I hate that airport. The worst. I mean, our airports are worse, but I hate LAX.

pinoyslinger likes this.
  5. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

1. Especially for int'l flights, regularly check the airline's app or their website for seat availability. Usually, great seats free up a few days before the actual flight as other customers change/cancel their bookings. I've never had to sit in mid-row or window seats on long-haul flights.

2. Hydrate as much as possible and don't mind the trips to the loo. It's your best defense against travel-related ailments and stress. Buy 1 single bottle at the airport, empty it and put it in your carry-on. You can refill at every stop and empty it each time you cross borders.

3. Slippers and slip-ons only. Check-in your laced shoes.

4. Keep this as handy guide especially on long layovers – http://www.sleepinginairports.net

5. WIFI passwords – https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Z1dI8hoBZSJNWFx2xr_MMxSxSxY&hl=en_US

Mykolant, Sunil_K, rbenzon and 3 others like this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

As someone who left from NAIA T3 and returned a week later, I have to tell you there's a palpable 100% improvement in everything here at NAIA (Please, Bring Back Manila International Airport. Please)...fast wifi, fast service from check-in (of course, via web check-in, it's a breeze), fast customs and immigration checks, fast food service (dapat lang), fast walk-in to our flight...

I also have to tell you, compared to Changi, that airport is too clinical, too unfriendly, too assuming, and too drab for my tastes...forget the Duty Free (which people actually vote for because of its wide expanse and notoriously select shops)...Changi is like your average GH tiangge, literally...forget it's being the best in the world...

Back to T3 after a three-and-a-half hours flight (0710-1040PM), it was a breeze from touchdown to taxi to deplaning to all the necessities to get out of the airport in an hour or less (35 minutes, with checked in luggage at that)...don't expect much change at EDSA, I tell you, at 12:04 AM we were still stuck in Makati...

Sunil_K, raypin and rbenzon like this.
  7. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

internet in the airport is blazing fast!!!!! loving it!

hitme64 likes this.
  8. SQUN

SQUN Member

i counted at least 7 times that you need to present your passport / ticket / boarding pass in our dear airport.
    1. Before you enter inside the airport.
    2. Check in counter
    3. Before immigration
    4. Immigration counter
    5. Before you pass thru the tube going to your designated gate
    6. Before entering the boarding gate
    7. Last, you need to show your ticket stub before boarding.

Majority of the International Airport that I experienced will only check your passport/ticket when you check in and in the immigration counter last will be the boarding gate. Don't you think its an overkill for our airport personnel to do all of those checks?

greta87 likes this.
  9. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.......anti-human trafficking and anti-terrorist measures yan. Inconvenient but it has its purpose.

Sa HKIA, napaka-lax ng security nila. The departure area (before imigration) is unsecured. Anyone can go inside unmolested. To be fair, wala naman terrorist organizations sa Hong Kong. What about mentally-ill and suicidal people? There are roving HKIA security personnel with submachineguns though.

greta87, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^We stopped at No. 4 and that was just a week ago...nonetheless, if it did then it's because of what raypin said...

greta87 likes this.
  11. SQUN

SQUN Member

Well, if it is, we need to learn more about advance way of filtering misfits like facial recognition, iris scan, biometrics. Dubai is using iris scan and even here in Oman where I am based, we are using biometrics fingerprint, no need to pass thru immigration. That is why my passport is clean with entry and exit stamps. It may appear that HK airport is relax but on the contrary it is not.

Frankfurt airport, you only need to present your passport in the immigration, check in is thru machine already, etc.

I know we are a third world country but we can do better.

Hitme64 I think is referring to NAIA 3, you can go inside the airport even without showing ticket and passport. NAIA 1 is a different story. You cleared immigration already and another security guard will check your boarding pass and passport right before passing the way going to the boarding gate. That at least I think is not necessary anymore.

*Forgot to mention that for OFW's, it will be more because of OEC clearance and that effing refund of 550 pesos.

#11 SQUN, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    hitme64 likes this.
  12. eag

eag Active Member

More a travel hack than an airport hack, but email yourself pics or scans of your passports, airline and hotel bookings, visas, and credit cards. In the worst case scenario where you lose one or more of these, or they're stolen along with your phone, you know you'll be able to access copies of them. At terminal 3, I've noticed there's usually long lines to enter the airport at the departure area. I always just enter the airport at the ground level (arrival level) instead where there's no lines, and then take the escalator/elevator up.

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. SQUN

SQUN Member

From experience:

1. It will not cost you anything if you request for an exit seat (extra leg room) specially the window side when you check in, always work for me most of the time and if properly dressed can be bump to the business class.
    2. Check in online, the counter is separate. You don't need to queue anymore at the regular check in counter.
    3. For long period of lay over, most airlines give away food voucher that you can claim in a restaurant inside the airport.
    4. If you have friends or relatives working for an airline company, depend on the airline, they can purchase tickets half the price under their name. A
    5. Always manage your booking online for a reservation on seat and meals.
    6. For OFW's don'f forget your 550 pesos refund. You can use this to buy coffee and something to eat while waiting for boarding.
    7. Most airlines offer now wifi connection for a minimal fee. Emirates Airlines for example gives 10MB free wifi connection and 1$ charge for 600 mb, enough to check emails, facebook, chats and browsing the net.
    8. Don't forget to collect miles that you can use for upgrades or exchange with merchandise.
    9. Travel light.
    10. You can request for inflight drinks like beer, red or white wine, etc.

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  14. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

And, oh, write all of these info in a small piece of paper:
    – Passport #
    – visa #
    – dates of departure and arrival (can be confusing when you cross timezones) as well as return dates
    – flight #s
    – address of residence on where you're going

You'll be writing these in immigration and custom forms 2-3 times throughout your trip. Best to put that all in one paper so you don't have to keep retrieving your passport, tickets and phone.

Also, if you travel a lot you should know this by now: invest on a some good wireless head/ear phones. So kapoy to keep on tangling and untangling wired earphones as pass through checks, grab stuff from your pockets, move/remove your bags (especially sling bags).

15. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

I hear HKIA does not even stamp your passport upon entry/exit anymore.

16. raypin

Mmm.....yeah, I do not understand that. All they give is that small piece of paper. Going back to topic, I do admire the administration of the HKIA. Operational since before the 1997 handover, the airport runs like a Swiss timepiece: very efficient, very reliable and everything just works. We have a very long way to go before any of our airports can match it across all metrics.

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

prolly the wrong thread but i'm a ask anyway. permission to post admins.

may i bring my asus zen powerbank through NAIA Terminal 2 and into Haneda airport in Japan? i'll be hand carrying it inside my knapsack. i won't put it inside my check in luggage. please advise amigos. gracias!

18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

as far as i know its fine. been travelling with 2 power banks in my hand carry and no problem.

19. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

I dread the security checks at the airport; airports in Germany have this space capsule that does a full body scan on you, no to mention random frisking.

- Before going through the check, dump everything to your carry-on (cellphone, wallet, watch, loose change, etc.) If you can make do without wearing a belt then do so. Good thing nowadays, you aren't made to remove your shoes but do wear something that is lightweight and easy to remove/put on.
    - While I understand not to rush in boarding the gate, often times passengers who are late no longer have space on the overhead cabin near their seat.
    - Have a light jacket in hand because it could be chilly in-flight.
    - If travelling in a group, have a mini-printout of passenger names, passport numbers, etc.
    - Always carry a scanned printout of your passport, this is useful when asking for tax refund from merchants.

20. raypin

Mmm......re: power rechargers. TSA rules says no more than 100 watthour capacity (around 27,000 mAH). Anthing less should not be a problem on carry-on luggage. Make sure that yours are packed safely to prevent shorting it (safety is paramount since you will be on that plane).