Airport Extreme 6th Gen Concerns

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by Misterclutch, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

I recently purchased a brand new sealed airport extreme. Here is my concern. I have other devices at home such as the PS4, Wii, Samsung Galaxy Tab and two HP Sleekbook laptops that run Windows 8.1. Do I need to install something on my windows laptop in order to have a wireless connection with my airport extreme router? I've had several routers in the past (Linksys, D-Link, and Asus). My computers and devices could connect with no problems to my past routers. Tjhis is my first time to own an Airport Extreme. So I'm a bit skeptical in making this purchase. I've read stories online that non Apple devices are having a hard time connecting to this router.

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

You already bought the AEBS, right? Turn it on and try it out.

if you need to tweak the settings of your AEBS you'd need to install the Airport Utility on your Windows machines. That's it. There's nothing fancy about installing drivers for AEBS or for any routers. As long as your wifi card driver doesn't have issues - e.g. it connects to any other routers, it should just connect fine with an AEBS too.

3. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

I actually bought the item on ebay and I would get it this Wednesday. Thanks for the response.

4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

My Windows machine and Xbox One can connect wirelessly with the 6th gen AEBS. I don't think you'll have a problem connecting your devices.

5. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

thanks. i got the router today. I didn't have any problems connecting my devices.

6. warped

warped Member

Need help setting up mine. I went through the setup process using Airport Utility. But it says no internet, but the AEBS has the green light on. I tried to power recycle. Shut down my mac, AEBS and modem. But to no success. I went back to my old router after restarting internet connection is back to normal.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

7. warped

warped Member

8. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Set your AEBS to bridge mode - this way, your router provides the NAT services while the AEBS functions as a wireless access point. This is my setup at home and had no problem connecting my wireless devices to the internet.

fteoOpty64 likes this.
  9. warped

warped Member

Yeah i tried doing that, putting it on bridge mode but my internet goes away. I have tried power cycling it numerous times and resetting both cable modem and aebs but to no success... I'm not sure what to do next....

10. lamski

Check your old router's settings. It should give you a clue on what to configure in your AEBS.

11. Marianne

Marianne Member

My aebs is connected to another router. On my 5th gen, my internet connection got disconnected regularly using bridge mode. I opted to just "ignore the issue" and it worked fine. I used the same set up for the 6th gen. I didn't try bridge mode anymore. Hth.

12. red

red Member

I'm using a 1st Gen Time Capsule with SkyBroadband. I just ignore the Double NAT. Whenever I set the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode there's no Internet connection.

13. warped

warped Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses. Will ignore it for now. But if anyone comes up with an idea just message or reply on this thread? Thanks again!!!

14. lamski

15. DATC

DATC Member

I bought an Airport Extreme in Japan (called an AirMac Extreme there), and I am trying to get it to work here in the Philippines. I can't seem to get it to work though. The staff at the Apple Store in Japan were a bit hesitant about compatibility before I bought the unit, but after a bit of research, they said it should work fine.

Do you guys know of any compatibility issues where a wifi router in Japan won't work in the Philippines?