Airport Cannot Detect Network(s)

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by simplyme, Mar 26, 2010.

1. simplyme

simplyme Member

Using Mac OS X 10.5.8 Airport cannot detect network(s) at all. Anybody encountered this issue and resolved it? thanks.

2. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

You have to delete old settings. But I do not have my notes. Easy way is to create a new Location in your Network Airport preferences. then use the default settings for wifi.

3. simplyme

simplyme Member

Already did that.. Still no success. :(

4. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

5. simplyme

simplyme Member

read here that resetting the PRAM would not work on OS X. :(

6. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

#6 skinhead, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  7. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Up to you. You may try it or not. Its just a suggestion that will not harm your computer. if your computer does not retain parameter RAM (PRAM) settings when it is turned off, this generally indicates that the battery needs to be changed probably. you may scratch this off if you like naman.

8. simplyme

simplyme Member

still not working.. :(

9. creativeideaz

creativeideaz Member

I remember encountering this issue before migrating to Snow.

There are different cases that this happens and that could be the reason mentioned solutions does not fix your problem.

Try accessing your Keychain Access settings. Look for any recorded access mainly used for networking or internet connection (wifi logins etc.) and delete them (be sure that you know these passwords first so you can relogin).

This might not be a exact solution but it worked for me that time though. ;)

10. simplyme

simplyme Member

I guess I did that as well already. Still no success. Does it mean that my Airport card is defective already?

11. Paulo del Puerto

I'm experiencing a similar problem. I can't connect to ANY wireless networks, but my mac sees all available networks. I've tried almost all possible solutions I found on the net but nothing worked. I tried zapping the PRAM resetting the SMC, erasing system prefs, deleting entries in keychain access, creating a new location....etc. NOTHING worked sadly. I spent 2 whole days tryinv to fix the problem to no avail. It's a widespread and long standing problem with Macs that Apple can't seem to fix.

Last resort is to get tbe airport card changed. But according to my research...it's still a hit or miss solution. And most people who have W7 installed on their macs don't have a problem with their connections at all, it's osx sl that's been givig them problems.

Anyone else experience this problem?

12. freak

freak Member

hmm... my problem is not exactly unable to connect but the airport wifi connection gets cut off after a few minutes. i can reconnect but then it drops off again.

our accommodations currently offer free public wifi (which doesn't have any issues on my other notebook since i'm near a hotspot), sadly no hardwire yet. but i should not have any issues right?

i've already tried all the tips here but still no dice. also checked with the admin and they said that they do not have mac address filtering so it's not the mac address too.

anyone who might be able to help?:eek:

tia

13. maracid

maracid Member

I had a similar problem on my Air. I sent it to PowerMac for diagnostics.
    They reinstalled my OS. Problem solved.

Downside was that I had to surrender my Air to PowerMac for a couple of weeks.

14. freak

freak Member

hmm so reinstallation did it for you.. hmm.. i'll try it sometime. thanks for the tip:cool:

15. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

My airport can still detect the wifi network that it could previously but now it cannot connect to it. It's always causing the Wi-Fi icon to have an exclamation point with a message "ALERT: NO INTERNET CONNECTION". I've tried deleting the plists but still cannot connect.

16. an2ni

an2ni Member

go to Network delete the Airport then restart, then add a new Airport in the Network. That's what I did to my sister macbook.

17. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Now it can detect and connect, but it seems to be at a slower speed than usual.

18. kamote

kamote New Member

You may want to boot to the install DVD that came with your device to see if it can detect networks there. That way you will be able to isolate between a potential hardware or an operating system issue.

19. freak

freak Member

I haven't reinstalled the OS yet, but an office mate who also has a mbp tried to share the internet connection via his mac and i was able to connect to the net without no problems, even the connection speed was great. It was the same as when we shared the connection via airport.

The problem is the wifi connection at our accommodations is not via Apple hardware as most of the users are on PCs. My Windows laptop connects to it with no problem, but my mbp still drops the connection.

Is it still worth the trouble to re-install the OS? Or is it better to just have it checked by the service center?:eek:

this i'm willing to give a shot since it should'nt be as much hassle as reinstallation.

20. ast

ast Member

any stable fix to this problem? i have this issue now :( been using Sun SBW lately because my MBP cannot connect to our home's wifi :(